I'm a horrible person, and I didn't even realize it [SPOILERS]

+
ooodrin;n8084980 said:
It was already answered before Geralt even uttered his wish:

Right... but that's still super vague. And still wouldn't explain what would motivate the Djinn to leave them BOTH alive and not just kill them both, assuming the wish was "bind her to me/me to her"

Okay, they are bound. Djinn doesn't really like either of them considering Geralt made the thing fornicate itself and Yen tried to capture it.

Corewolf;n8085080 said:
No, you just used a meme that implied it was without any further connotation, then predicated the argument that Yen and Geralt were meant to be based on that statement.

This meme is pretty known on this forum so I didn't figure it out that it could be taken as Sapko's words. Yen and Geralt were meant to be - this is based on eight books of Witcher saga not because of that meme. I said in the books there is no wonder who is love of Geralt's life - in the games you can chose. You said it was all because of Djinn aka fake aka not valid. I don't agree with this.

The question is whether her love for Geralt was genuine

I really don't know anyone who would question this after reading the ending of Lady of The Lake. The book is heavily influenced by destiny. Destine chose Yennefer for Geralt... not anyone else.

But simple fact. No Djinn, Yen and Geralt would never have met.

Oh then we would have never met Triss too. What a pity :(

No Urcheon of Erlenwald - no law of suprise - Geralt and Ciri would never have met. So what are you trying to say? It doesn't make sense.

Yeah, but a Djinn (which is basically supposed to be more powerful than Yen's magic on its own) can't make someone love someone else? ... Yeah no, sorry. Djinn could induce those emotions easily enough. Even Dandelion tried to wish for a woman to fall for his charms (and had he been holding the seal, might have gotten his wish, considering Geralt's "exorcism" wish)

comment by CatchTheBreeze
1) How Geralt fell in lone

Why Geralt made that Wish? Cause of fear for Rinde? Nope. Cause he wanted to use Yen in his own plans? Nope. Cause he had just sympathy to Yennefer? Again nope. Cause he completely fell in love with her? Absolutely. He realized whom she was before sorceress (poor hunkback girl) and didn’t give a f about it. He realized how rude and mean Yennefer is (on that moment) and didn’t give a f about it. He realized that he needs to smell her perfume, to follow her, to be with her. A minute passion? No, it’s possible only because love was born. (book facts)

2) Love in The Witcher’s Universe

If look carefully we can find that in the books and the games Love is something parallel and uncontrollable for Magic. Love even can break it, break the powerful magical curses. Remember Nivellen from the books, remember Graham and Annabelle from the last game. True Love literally can everything in The Witcher. And when love is so strong and uncontrollable you think that someone can fake it?

3) Witcher II Flashbacks

This point is about possibility of Yennefer and Geralt happiness. What we have? Geralt and Yennefer after Ciri’d left them had a really peaceful and cozy life at Malus Island (Isle Of Avallach). And only Wild Hunt violated their peace and did separate them. Fact.

4) Wish in itself. (TWIII)

Before the release of “Wild Hunt” we knew that possibility of spell could be real (Not because Geralt didn’t love, because we didn’t know how real Yen’s feeling is) And “The Last Wish Quest”. Hurrah! No we’ll break the spell and get free! Aand baaang! But what’s happened? “Geralt, nothing’s changed”. Yen loved him with a real love too. Weird to argue that fact. And if Geralt fell in love with Yen by his own and she still loves him…Does it mean that love live? Love lives.I know it’s hard when you already fall in love with a character and suddenly arrives someone another. But that’s a time when we don’t have a choice in standard game notion. We have choices for ourselves. I can choose for myself. You can choose for yourself. But Geralt chose what he wants many years ago.

And there are no facts to say that it’s false.

Gilthoniel;n8085260 said:
Destine chose Yennefer for Geralt... not anyone else.

Which is exactly what I have been arguing. THEY did not have choice. Which means it is not "natural" it's forced

comment by CatchTheBreeze

None of this is Canon, it is a fan theory, same as mine. Especially that s/he is referencing flashbacks from the Witcher II, which are from the games and thus have no bearing on the books, as you keep saying.

Also, this? really?
He realized whom she was before sorceress (poor hunkback girl) and didn’t give a f about it. He realized how rude and mean Yennefer is (on that moment) and didn’t give a f about it. He realized that he needs to smell her perfume, to follow her, to be with her. A minute passion? No, it’s possible only because love was born. (book facts)

He has known her for a whole of maybe an hour by this point! That isn't love! that is infatuation! Love is not "born" in a day or even a week. it takes YEARS.

I don't have an issue with the ending of Lady of the Lake BECAUSE there were years. at the END that is love, fake or not. At the beginning, there was one sided infatuation and magically induced sex.

If you can't have a discussion without going "no I am totally right because people say so" Why are you even continuing to talk?

Neither of us is Sapkowski, Pretty sure he isn't on the forums. None of us are "right" The whole point of this is to be open to debate.

Oh then we would have never met Triss too. What a pity
No Urcheon of Erlenwald - no law of suprise - Geralt and Ciri would never have met. So what are you trying to say? It doesn't make sense.

Destine chose Yennefer for Geralt... not anyone else.
Corewolf said:
Which is exactly what I have been arguing. THEY did not have choice. Which means it is not "natural" it's forced

That, that is what I am trying to say.

Now granted, at the end of the books there IS love, genuine or otherwise. What does that matter.

The whole thread started based on the idea that them being able to split in TW3 is "bad, or doesn't make senes because X"

But Geralt chose what he wants many years ago.

By Sapkowski's own statement, the entire story is about Geralt growing as a character. If he just does the same thing all the time, there is no growth. Through his experiences with Yen, Triss, Ciri and other characters, he grows and is capable of changing his mind.

Gilthoniel;n8084840 said:
THIS IS what Sapkowski said:

"I am convinced that only with contact with the other sex - whether it is cause of attraction, care, confrontation or opposition - a hero can fully grow"

The fact that they can break up in the game is not any more of a problem than anything else in the games because it is pointing out the fact that they are different people who are GROWING.

Which is exactly what Sapkowski made the characters for.

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

Corewolf;n8085200 said:
Right... but that's still super vague. And still wouldn't explain what would motivate the Djinn to leave them BOTH alive and not just kill them both, assuming the wish was "bind her to me/me to her"

Okay, they are bound. Djinn doesn't really like either of them considering Geralt made the thing fornicate itself and Yen tried to capture it.

Because Djinns cant kill or harm their masters. That's how Yennefer figured out it wasn't Dandelion who had the seal but Geralt.
So turning Yennefer into a red splatter on the wall would (according to the rules Sapko set) do the same to a man whose fate is tied to hers. :))

ooodrin;n8085350 said:
Because Djinns cant kill or harm their masters. That's how Yennefer figured out it wasn't Dandelion who had the seal but Geralt.
So turning Yennefer into a red splatter on the wall would (according to the rules Sapko set) do the same to a man whose fate is tied to hers. :))

Okay, fair enough.

So Yen's life is tied to Geralt's? That might explain why the life was going out of her at the end of the series as she tried to heal him....

Or are we thinking something else? Cause I mean, emotional bond between two people could cause "harm" if the subject of one's affection or love suddenly was burst into bits.

Guest 3847602

Corewolf;n8085390 said:
Or are we thinking something else? Cause I mean, emotional bond between two people could cause "harm" if the subject of one's affection or love suddenly was burst into bits.

:p

On the point of Geralt and Yen having a choice regarding their love and their relationship: Yes, I believe they did have a choice. Fate != love, and love != fate. Yen chose to forgive Geralt, and Geralt chose to forgive Yen. They chose to embrace each other. They didn't have to reconcile themselves with each other after finding one another near Gors Velen, just before going to Thanedd. They didn't have to chose what they chose at that point, especially Geralt finally telling Yen that he loves her. I repeat, fate does not mean love, and Geralt knew the dangerous nature of Djinns when he made his final wish. He's a sharp-witted fool, one could say, but when it comes time to act, Geralt is as sharp as a tack. One can thus conclude that he worded said wish properly.

That feel when your thread becomes a spoiler for you... I haven't gotten to that part in Time of Contempt yet. :(

iokhta;n8086210 said:
That feel when your thread becomes a spoiler for you... I haven't gotten to that part in Time of Contempt yet. :(
I'm sorry, though this sub-forum is titled as containing spoilers. However, you'll still fall in love with the scene when you get to it. One of my favorites - especially what happens later that night.

Gilthoniel;n8086240 said:
Yeah my mistake. I knew it was a bad idea since you used the waifu team hashtag...

More like you think there is only one point of view and are not open to debate about it, contradicted yourself with saying "it's love, no wait it is Destiny that picked them for each other, no wait love." when the point was "love OR destiny/magic" Used a meme that falsified information, and now are mad and throwing insulting things about because you got called on it.

and then you just didn't read.

Page one, addressed to you, quoting your image

iokhta;n8050560 said:
Where did you get that quote for the picture? I wanna read the interview.

This meme is pretty known on this forum so I didn't figure it out that it could be taken as Sapko's words.

But if you want to sling insults about a "waifu team hashtag" that I said as a joke....

Gilthoniel;n8050510 said:
. Before games there also was no TeamTriss - more like TeamFringilla. :)

I can call you on that too.

Last edited:
Corewolf;n8086440 said:
If want to sling insults about a "waifu team hashtag" that I said as a joke....

What kind of insults? Was your first comment on this topic also joke then? If so I didn't recognise it then.

Used a meme that falsified information

are you serious? I didn't create that meme. This meme was used here 20x times before, it is VERY known meme in this forum and community

I can call you on that too.

Yeah good - I hope you are feeling better, Except I didn't say I'm part of any said team. You clearly are so I dunno why you are taking it as insult. I thought you are proud of it.

Last edited:
Gilthoniel;n8086630 said:
are you serious? this meme was used here for 20x times before, it is VERY known meme in this forum and community

Click on the red arrow button below this statement please.

iokhta;n8050560 said:
Where did you get that quote for the picture? I wanna read the interview.

I also find this next statement both amusing and hypocritical, considering how hard you are plugging Geralt x Yen.

Gilthoniel;n8084840 said:
As I and ooodrin said before I think your comments regarding book lore are heavily influenced by the games and your ingame romance choice.

I didn't say "OMG No they shouldn't end up together at all in the book". I never questioned their relationship as having happened. I said that it started, and was influenced, by magic...or destiny. (I did imply that I thought that was a bit twisted and messed up as a way to start a relationship)

following that logic, I simply said that there is a legitimate in game argument to be made about being able to leave Yen because YES, THE MAGIC HAD AN EFFECT ON THEIR EMOTIONS.

Which really, is no different than saying "Destiny made them for each other" Well if THAT is the case then DESTINY had an influence on their emotions and the love was STILL not genuinely from the origin of free will,

Free. Will. Which in some way or another was altered either by destiny or by a magical djinn or maybe BOTH (IE Destiny says they have to be together and artifices the whole thing so that Geralt HAS to make that wish)

Remove that wish, and you resume free will. Which includes the free will to just not pick anyone.

Which is what the quest in game GIVES the player by suggesting that, heaven forbid, Geralt's wish MAY have just had something to do with keeping them together, and that his GROWTH over the games could make him realize that "Hey, maybe I am not happy with her" and barring a "ingame romance choice" thinking "Maybe I'm not happy being with ANY of them (Triss/Yen/anyone) and just want to be a Witcher and help my daughter".

At any rate I'm done with trying to even discuss this with you.

Last edited:
Hart95;n8086280 said:
I'm sorry, though this sub-forum is titled as containing spoilers. However, you'll still fall in love with the scene when you get to it. One of my favorites - especially what happens later that night.

Nah I was expecting it, haha. It's just funny to think about.

Corewolf;n8086700 said:
Click on the red arrow button below this statement please.

I also find this next statement both amusing and hypocritical, considering how hard you are plugging Geralt x Yen.

I didn't say "OMG No they shouldn't end up together at all in the book". I never questioned their relationship as having happened. I said that it started, and was influenced, by magic...or destiny. (I did imply that I thought that was a bit twisted and messed up as a way to start a relationship)

following that logic, I simply said that there is a legitimate in game argument to be made about being able to leave Yen because YES, THE MAGIC HAD AN EFFECT ON THEIR EMOTIONS.

Which really, is no different than saying "Destiny made them for each other" Well if THAT is the case then DESTINY had an influence on their emotions and the love was STILL not genuinely from the origin of free will,

Free. Will. Which in some way or another was altered either by destiny or by a magical djinn or maybe BOTH (IE Destiny says they have to be together and artifices the whole thing so that Geralt HAS to make that wish)

Remove that wish, and you resume free will. Which includes the free will to just not pick anyone.

Which is what the quest in game GIVES the player by suggesting that, heaven forbid, Geralt's wish MAY have just had something to do with keeping them together, and that his GROWTH over the games could make him realize that "Hey, maybe I am not happy with her" and barring a "ingame romance choice" thinking "Maybe I'm not happy being with ANY of them (Triss/Yen/anyone) and just want to be a Witcher and help my daughter".

Yes except you've entered this discussion with this:

Never liked Yen and all her attitude during 3... And reading shit like "A Shard of Ice"... well the ONLY reason a guy would put up with that crap (Or do the running off Geralt did in the first place) would be if the love was magically induced by a Djinn to be hot and cold... which isn't something I'd like.

So being able to go "Nope, was totally just the Djinn" was actually very satisfying to me

#TeamTriss.

Maybe it was a joke or not I don't know but you pretty much said that the love never existed between them because it was "influenced" by destiny/magic, aka it was fake, never real, and that is something I don't agree with.

At any rate I'm done with trying to even discuss this with you

I hope it is not another joke and you will keep the word.

Gilthoniel;n8086630 said:
Except I didn't say I'm part of any said team. You clearly are so I dunno why you are taking it as insult.

I think the issue is with the insinuation that Corewolf's arguments are not valid because of admittedly being in a "team". One can make valid (or incorrect) arguments regardless of any such biases, the topic is not about discussing the posters themselves, but rather what they write, team or not (which can, by the way, easily be found out with a bit of searching, but again, it is not relevant to the discussion anyway).

Top Bottom