HoS on DEATH MARCH

+
HoS on DEATH MARCH

Hey, I finished the basic game on Story and Sword, and wanted to add more challenge to the expansions and I changed the difficulty to Death March.
I just started the side-quest Roses on a Red Field, and when I need to kill those nights in the cave, they just killed me like I was a mosquito, they dealing damage like crazy, and I barley damaging them, and those with the shields I just can't killing them, and I die and keep dieing. Friend of mine told me to use bombs, I used Dancing Star and Grapestone but nothing, it doesn't seems to do much.
What should I do? I'm using Fline Set, and I'm level 35.

HoS is significantly tougher than the main game, regardless of difficulty.

Those knights can definitely be a pain... You need to make good use of dodging/rolling, also the arrow deflection skill is great against those arbalests. Quen is obviously great as well, even if you have put zero skill points into it. Northern Wind bombs are my favourites, because they provide great crowd control by freezing enemies.

All in all, Death March requires you to utilize ALL of your assets, at least until you get the hang of it. Use oils, all five Signs (Axii especially good for humanoids), bombs, counterattacks etc. etc.
Being a light armor wearer dodging and rolling is essential to you, as is parrying.

You cannot simply spam attacks 24/7 unlike on Story and Sword. Patience is an invaluable virtue when on Death March.

PS. For shield bearers: get behind them and hit them in the back, or counterattack them so they get staggered and you can land a hit. Axii is also super good.

Last edited:
RidiculousName;n8929390 said:
HoS is significantly tougher than the main game, regardless of difficulty.

Those knights can definitely be a pain... You need to make good use of dodging/rolling, also the arrow deflection skill is great against those arbalests. Quen is obviously great as well, even if you have put zero skill points into it. Northern Wind bombs are my favourites, because they provide great crowd control by freezing enemies.

All in all, Death March requires you to utilize ALL of your assets, at least until you get the hang of it. Use oils, all five Signs (Axii especially good for humanoids), bombs, counterattacks etc. etc.
Being a light armor wearer dodging and rolling is essential to you, as is parrying.

You cannot simply spam attacks 24/7 unlike on Story and Sword. Patience is an invaluable virtue when on Death March.

PS. For shield bearers: get behind them and hit them in the back, or counterattack them so they get staggered and you can land a hit. Axii is also super good.

About death march, it is very hard, even in story and sword it seems very hard to defeat the ofieri mage for example, or toad prince.
About signs, what do you mean Axii how it can be in handy? What you mean humenoid?
And about counterattack or parrying, how do I do that?
And how can I get crowns? I need crowns for crafting witcher gear feline mastercrafted, and for quests, all the guides for money doesnt work it seems like they fixed all the methods to earn good money.
About feline set, after I have superior the next tier is mastercrafted right? And what is better mastercrafted feline or viper?

iCake

Forum veteran
Tuska5;n8941980 said:
About death march, it is very hard, even in story and sword it seems very hard to defeat the ofieri mage for example, or toad prince.
About signs, what do you mean Axii how it can be in handy? What you mean humenoid?
And how can I get crowns? I need crowns for crafting witcher gear feline mastercrafted, and for quests, all the guides for money doesnt work it seems like they fixed all the methods to earn good money.
About feline set, after I have superior the next tier is mastercrafted right? And what is better mastercrafted feline or viper?

Damn it, I hate to do this but these just ask for the infamous "git gud" picture.

Being an obligatory asshole aside, you really don't want to play on "deathmarch" this late in the game as it's obvious you know nothing about the game mechanics even still. Stay on "story and sword" or at least don't jump so high over your head with this enormous difficulty spike, you're not up to this just yet, go with normal if you really want and start to pick up things you'll need to survive on higher difficulties. Like what effects signs/potions have, how to parry/counterattack, how to not get surrounded and etc, etc.

iCake;n8942060 said:
Damn it, I hate to do this but these just ask for the infamous "git gud" picture.

Being an obligatory asshole aside, you really don't want to play on "deathmarch" this late in the game as it's obvious you know nothing about the game mechanics even still. Stay on "story and sword" or at least don't jump so high over your head with this enormous difficulty spike, you're not up to this just yet, go with normal if you really want and start to pick up things you'll need to survive on higher difficulties. Like what effects signs/potions have, how to parry/counterattack, how to not get surrounded and etc, etc.

Look, I didn't want to anger someone here, it just seemed to me when I played the Death March like something that just tough and hard, just to drain my HP like crazy and every little hit I can die from it, or my damage is just suck and to kill something that under my level by 5+ levels I have to be a legendary or have items level 100, because every little fight just was crazy, last long to kill everything, little dog or bosses like toad prince or Olgeird are just seemed unbeatable. It's not like Dark Souls that you have a technique to every monster or the dodge and attack has importance, its just seemed that when I fight against 5 knights some with shields they just tearing me apart, I can't win this. This what I feel, but you right, I didn;t play this game much and I don't know him good so what I wrote here is obvious just my thoughts, of someone that just play couple of hours, and I'm sure that I'm wrong. I just feeling that I missed something when I played Story and Sword and finished the basic game and storyline and it was too easy, I just K.O Eredin's ass, and that is the reason I "jumped" to death march, to get this challenge, and don't finish it easy and regret it. But HoS on Story and Sword is hard, really, I barely killed the Ofieri Mage or those knights I talked about.
So please, if you could help me with my questions above, about parrying/counterattack, don't get surrounded, what gear to use (viper/feline), how to get money, how signs can help me and not just "quen 24/7" and magic trap for wraiths and etc. How can I use oils in each fight, how it is works, I just make an oil and can use it everytime i want?
Thanks!

Tuska5;n8941980 said:

Death March is called Death March for a reason. It's supposed to be hard, until you really get the hang of it.

Humanoid = humans, elves, dwarves... in other words everything that isn't a monster or an animal. If you use Axii on a humanoid enemy to stun them, you have a chance of instantly killing them if you hit them while they're stunned. That's why Axii can be crazy good against bandits and the like.

Counterattacks and parrying you should've learnt during the Kaer Morhen tutorial, at the very beginning of the game. Start a new game and learn the mechanics with Vesemir. That combat tutorial is great when you haven't mastered the game's mechanics.

Crowns are very easy to acquire. Simply collect and sell everything even slightly valuable that you don't need. Always haggle for a higher price when starting witcher contracts. Selling gems you find can be a great source of income. Getting mastercrafted witcher sets is not difficult, even if you make all four plus the Viper. Relying on money-making exploits (like the cow one that's been patched) is downright desperate in this game.

Mastercrafted is after superior, correct. But as for whether Feline or Viper is better, it's up to your playstyle. Feline increases your attack power, thus allowing you to kill things faster. Viper offers more armor rating, thus making you more resistant to weapon attacks, plus it significantly increases your poison resistance. Since you struggle with simply staying alive, Viper might be the better option.

All in all, I agree that it's not a good idea to switch from normal to hardest difficulty when starting DLC that's much harder than the main game, especially when you don't even know half of the game's mechanics. The tutorial windows that pop up throughout early game tell you at least mostly everything you need to know - such as how to use oils.

RidiculousName;n8951190 said:
Death March is called Death March for a reason. It's supposed to be hard, until you really get the hang of it.

Humanoid = humans, elves, dwarves... in other words everything that isn't a monster or an animal. If you use Axii on a humanoid enemy to stun them, you have a chance of instantly killing them if you hit them while they're stunned. That's why Axii can be crazy good against bandits and the like.

Counterattacks and parrying you should've learnt during the Kaer Morhen tutorial, at the very beginning of the game. Start a new game and learn the mechanics with Vesemir. That combat tutorial is great when you haven't mastered the game's mechanics.

Crowns are very easy to acquire. Simply collect and sell everything even slightly valuable that you don't need. Always haggle for a higher price when starting witcher contracts. Selling gems you find can be a great source of income. Getting mastercrafted witcher sets is not difficult, even if you make all four plus the Viper. Relying on money-making exploits (like the cow one that's been patched) is downright desperate in this game.

Mastercrafted is after superior, correct. But as for whether Feline or Viper is better, it's up to your playstyle. Feline increases your attack power, thus allowing you to kill things faster. Viper offers more armor rating, thus making you more resistant to weapon attacks, plus it significantly increases your poison resistance. Since you struggle with simply staying alive, Viper might be the better option.

All in all, I agree that it's not a good idea to switch from normal to hardest difficulty when starting DLC that's much harder than the main game, especially when you don't even know half of the game's mechanics. The tutorial windows that pop up throughout early game tell you at least mostly everything you need to know - such as how to use oils.

Look, I don't noob (not absolutely one :) ), I do know how to use oils.
About money, I just don't know what can I sell from junk, what to dismantle and save, what should I sell, like gems, I think I need gems for crafting or something no? so I saved them, but I needed to buy flawless ruby for 2.5k each, even though I have regular rubies that I don't do nothing with them. And about selling junk or armour/swords, each merchant gives different offers, I found that Hatorri gives good offer for swords and armour, about junk I don't know where to sell. And I searched those all money exploit guide, but as you said I ate my head with this and I think that the lastest patches are just "fix" them, like the methods of cow's hide, buying shells and dismantle them for pearls, or even farming on fiends for mutagens and money. How can I earn mutagens or money? It seems to me that I need money, I always stuck at that. And about mastercrafted feline, I just craft all the set. But have right now 50 crowns.

HoS has a big difficulty spike itself without raising the difficulty. I think it's better to stay at your current difficulty playing the DLC for the first time.

Top Bottom