Effect of runes in sword sockets

+
Effect of runes in sword sockets

I just crafted the superior gryphon set which has three sockets for runes in both swords so I decided to give it a try. However, the effect of the burn rune stops when I hit the enemy again (basically same as Igni). Are there other runes that don't suffer from this? Apart from the obvious ones like armor piercing and sign intensity of course.

Do I have to remove the runes before I upgrade my gryphon set to mastercrafted level when I want to keep them?

iCake

Forum veteran
Only the burning effect cancels on hit. Bleeding, poisoing etc do not. Removing runes/glyphs destroys them, remove them only if you just want an empty slot. Already apllied runes/glyphs carry over to a better tier of witcher gear.

Thank you very much!

So basically I have the choice of destroying the runes and getting the sword back or destroying the sword and getting the runes back? Interesting.

What about the Triglav rune? I thought stun cancels on hit, too.

iCake

Forum veteran
Stormhawk_V;n8034060 said:
Thank you very much!

So basically I have the choice of destroying the runes and getting the sword back or destroying the sword and getting the runes back? Interesting.

What about the Triglav rune? I thought stun cancels on hit, too.

You're welcome.

Yes, if you dismantle a sword with runes in it, you'll get those runes back. If you remove a rune from a sword you just empty a rune slot that rune previously occupied. Same for glyphs and armor.

As for the Triglav rune, well, that stun effect never really lasted that long for me even if I didn't follow up with a conscecutive hit on a stunned enemy. There was also a nasty bug when if the rune proc'd on a enemy in motion that would not actually stun them, they'd have that "confused" bubble over their head but still move and attack as usual. So never realy bothered with this particular rune. Not worth it, really. Better go with bleeding or poisoning, they don't deal fixed damage but rather a percentage of an enemy max health so they're very useful, especially if they proc on a red skulled foe as these buggers have tons and tons of health.

Last edited:
Top Bottom