Alchemy and Crafting Thread

+
My biggest problem with the alchemy system is the fact there are way too many potions. I personally found I only use a handful of them while the rest are forgotten about. Do we really need all those decoctions?

To me and IMHO the crafting system while a fairly nice system is beyond ... (insert negative adjective here) You're crafting for the most part armor and weapons yet most if not all gear pieces require weird seemingly rando items from alchemy in order to make a sword or piece of armor. Instead of a true crafting system where you need leather, tanned hide, hardened leather, reinforced leather, steel, iron, and/or Damascus Steel, you need shit like drowner brains and f****ing blackrot oil. Take the Grandmaster legendary Griffin armor for instance you need monster hearts and monster essence? For what? are you heat quenching it in a mixture of blood and monster s***? Even for the Ofieri Armor you're using Ore! ... Ore! Really? at that point you should be well beyond adding ore into a gear item and you should be using bars, pallets or billets.

Its this type of system that feels like it was not thought out very well or entirely and someone somewhere just got lazy and said it doesn't need to be good; While carrying capacity might not even be an issue, it seems odd that you would have materials that are in a raw form or alchemy ingredients involved in making armor pieces and weapons. These types of things should be well beyond that and using materials that should have already used up any raw forms of ingredients. Thus you are combining those parts into a whole, which the recovering of those raw items is being heavily penalized to a point where you are no where close to getting out the fabric types back out, like cloth, silk, leather or thread when you should clearly at-least be able to get those back out, while any metal pieces should be melted back down and perhaps cut in half on the returned amount.

As for Alchemy, it feels extremely limited; while im not asking for a skyrim level of alchemy here but its pretty much create the potions once and you never need another alchemy ingredient again. So whats the point? You cant really sell off all the stuff you get or pick from the ground the current system makes that impractical not to mention stupid in its difficulty and time utterly time consuming. I would end up getting a blood clot in my legs before i could ever sell off all the stuff ive picked up.

At next go can we perhaps get a little more thought put into these systems? Or perhaps make it easier for the community to edit these types of things themselves.

On the very last thing ill mention, is the stack size. you can only stack 20 ingredients and 100 arrows/bolts, but you cant combine them at any point when the numbers change. even if you have two separate stacks one stack of say 20 bolts and another identical stack of 20 cannot be combined into a single stack of 40bolts.

Its these small things, ideas, concepts that really pull the game together and increase those quality of life feelings of the game.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. To be honest, I really hate the alchemy portion and crafting. Why? It is simply too complicated. Much like Skyrim and other games, a tremendous effort is placed on the not so very heart of the real story line of this game. I appreciate the creativeness of these 2 aspects of Witcher, but, my suggestion is simple: Please find a way to simplify this aspect of the game: by
1. giving merchants in major cities items needed to craft things all the ingredients necessary...for a price
2. reduce the number of items for these 2 purposes to be a select handful: 10 at most for each category
3. introduce the concept of building a network of business trade between said merchants of these items whereby Gerault helps to establish said trade through numerous perilous quests...and even quests that must be re-run because of bandits, monsters and greedy despots ruling the lands

Top Bottom