Devil by the well - post game failed

+
Devil by the well - post game failed

I completed the game and after I spoke to the emperor and traveled back to white orchard the devil by the well quest failed. I reloaded a save before speaking to the emperor at the end, and the quest was completed with every small thing checked.

Why did the quest fail when I already completed it long ago?

Is there any way to complete the quest after it has failed by using a command code of any sort??

Thanks

Moved to Tech Support.

Does it fail every time when you go back to White Orchard or did you only try it once?

Sunsibar;n7344740 said:
Moved to Tech Support.

Does it fail every time when you go back to White Orchard or did you only try it once?

I don't wanna continue the game as of right now since I have this problem. But I did reload the save multiple times and it failed everytime. Didn't try to fast travel out of white orchard and then back again to see if a failed message popped up everytime.

Totally unofficial response:

I think this one of those issues caused by installing the game and beginning a playthrough using version 1.0X. Then, continuing the playthrough over multiple updates, eventually arriving at 1.31 (or 1.32 on PS4). At the late-game stages, this issue crops up for reasons known only to The Great Pumpkin, and the Punkin' ain't talkin' none.

Is anyone able to confirm this bug based on a game begun in 1.31 / 1.32? If so, send a recent saved game into CDPR Support.

No Title

Hi!

I got the GOTY version on GOG they gave it for free because i have the main game with both DLC-s HoS and B&W and i decided to play through the whole game again since it's a separate game in my gog library. I finished it as fresh 1.31 GOTY version and after i beat the game and as Roboslash said talked to the Emperor etc and in the next cutscene the FAILED Contract: Devil by The Well and FAILED Precious Cargo pops up wich is funny because i'm 100% sure i did both quests at the beggining of the game. So this took my mood away to continue the game like this. And i'm not sure this will be even patched because i think the developers have their focus on other things. I truly hope i'm wrong and this will be addressed ASAP and so i can continue the game with the expansions.

Attachments

• photo98780.jpg
    photo98780.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 477
  • photo98790.jpg
    photo98790.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 344
SigilFey;n7444660 said:

I think this one of those issues caused by installing the game and beginning a playthrough using version 1.0X. Then, continuing the playthrough over multiple updates, eventually arriving at 1.31 (or 1.32 on PS4). At the late-game stages, this issue crops up for reasons known only to The Great Pumpkin, and the Punkin' ain't talkin' none.

Is anyone able to confirm this bug based on a game begun in 1.31 / 1.32? If so, send a recent saved game into CDPR Support.

I played the game on the recent patches. Started my second playthrough about one year after its initial release. So we are speaking about in July 2016.

xxRomeexx;n7454320 said:
Hi!

I got the GOTY version on GOG they gave it for free because i have the main game with both DLC-s HoS and B&W and i decided to play through the whole game again since it's a separate game in my gog library. I finished it as fresh 1.31 GOTY version and after i beat the game and as Roboslash said talked to the Emperor etc and in the next cutscene the FAILED Contract: Devil by The Well and FAILED Precious Cargo pops up wich is funny because i'm 100% sure i did both quests at the beggining of the game. So this took my mood away to continue the game like this. And i'm not sure this will be even patched because i think the developers have their focus on other things. I truly hope i'm wrong and this will be addressed ASAP and so i can continue the game with the expansions.

Yes, I have read about this issue. Doesn't seem to only be bothering us. I hope CDPR will try to fix these "game breaking" issues.

SigilFey;n7444660 said:

Not sure what version this was on, as in Updates. It was quite a while ago (I think back in early 2016) But I had a really odd issue with this quest on the original release of the Xbox One version, sounds kinda similar.

I started a New Game+ so I could gain the Gwent Card Collector Achievement, I collected the Contract for Devil by the Well on the way, but didn't actively look to complete it there and then.
After I acquired all cards and got the achievement so I moved along onto the "Completing of all Monster Contracts" achievement.

I thought I had done them all and didn't get the achievement so I did a bit of looking around and discovered this particular Mission wasn't in my log as either Completed of Failed, even though the notice board was now showing as white rather than yellow and I'm almost certain I picked it up when I first went through the White Orchard mission flow.

Literally backtracked and scoured the area for the start of the quest, yet I have never been able to begin it, I'm guessing now that I have lost the mission since progressing the the end of the main campaign, but it's just so odd that it is nowhere to be seen.

I've probably clocked around 400+ hours on this game now and I'm always looking for an excuse to replay it in all it's Witchery glory, so it doesn't upset me, just wondering what could of happened and how I can prevent it in the future. :D

Thanks!

Spoons

A few more point of consideration:

1.) The only way to check if this is an issue caused by a version conflict within the save-state is to begin a new, standard game using the latest version 1.31 (1.32 on PS4). There are simply too many issues with "backwards compatibility" in that regard, so not all bugs can be retroactively addressed. For several issues, the retroactive "fix" could or would break other, much more vital game mechanics. However, these issues should be addressed by beginning a new game. (I know that's really annoying for people that have hours and hours invested in a single playthrough, but these should only be minor issues. The Main Quest and the vast majority of side quests should still be able to be completed.)

2.) Any mods that affect fast-travel, change how experience works, or allow you to bypass certain parts of the game (like using console commands) can trigger a domino effect in the quest scripts. A lot of players that hit walls in progress, find missing / odd journal entries, missing characters, missing map markers, etc. have used one or more of these mods at some point during their playthrough. If you have used any of these things, there may not be much to do at this point except reload to a save before you first installed the mod and play from there.

3.) NG+ has probably seen all of the support it's going to see. It was never intended to be a part of the game, but it was introduced in response to player request. It stretches parts of the engine into places it was never meant to go. If an issue first appears in NG+, and any of point 1.) or 2.) above is also true...it's likely the end of the line.

If you have never used mods and are playing either a Standard Game or NG+, you can always feel free to send a saved game with the issue into CDPR Support. They may be able to edit the save to get you past the hurdle. Just be aware that modded games are often beyond help. Since a few players seem to be encountering the same issue with the The Devil by the Well, it might be helpful to send these reports in.

SigilFey;n7508760 said:
) NG+ has probably seen all of the support it's going to see. It was never intended to be a part of the game, but it was introduced in response to player request. It stretches parts of the engine into places it was never meant to go. If an issue first appears in NG+, and any of point 1.) or 2.) above is also true...it's likely the end of the line.

My guess would be that it's related to the version conflict the most, since I used NG+ almost immediately as it was released in my standard version of the game.
Since the issue occurred months and months ago now and I play on that same save file, anything from 2 to 9+ hours a day, it will probably create more work for the already very-busy devs, than not to try and track down the pesky critter causing the issue.

From now I'll just keep a close eye on the quest progression, I have a pretty good grasp on how everything should work as I've (nearly!) completed every single possible quest and side mission, aside from a few bugged out ones. :)

I've always got time to start a new game and enjoy it just as much the same! I can easily play this game from start to finish over and over again forever! :D

ImLittleSpoons;n7514730 said:
My guess would be that it's related to the version conflict the most, since I used NG+ almost immediately as it was released in my standard version of the game.
Since the issue occurred months and months ago now and I play on that same save file, anything from 2 to 9+ hours a day, it will probably create more work for the already very-busy devs, than not to try and track down the pesky critter causing the issue.

From now I'll just keep a close eye on the quest progression, I have a pretty good grasp on how everything should work as I've (nearly!) completed every single possible quest and side mission, aside from a few bugged out ones. :)

I've always got time to start a new game and enjoy it just as much the same! I can easily play this game from start to finish over and over again forever! :D

I know that feeling! I plan to do another full run with HoS and B&W as soon as I get enough time off. Definitely before retirement.

My guess is, it's probably a combination of things. If anyone could target exactly where the problem occurred, like the OP did, then I would personally send it in with the info of what the trigger seemed to be. At the least, they might be able to force the quest back to complete so people can get the Achievements they've earned and what not. What we need is maintenance to repair the dang "Easy" button. It's been down for, like, 1,500 years...

Roboslash;n7548350 said:
CDPR responded to my ticket, though unfortunately, they could not change anything.

Sorry to hear that! Were they able to say anything about what might be causing it?

oh man i have the same issue after finishing the game it pop up fialed even when i finish everything in the quest

Top Bottom