Using keyboard and having trouble sidestepping right (keeps sheathing sword).

+
Using keyboard and having trouble sidestepping right (keeps sheathing sword).

Hello,

I`ve been running this game and coming across an issue whenever I sidestep right in battle using `C` - Geralt will sheath his sword. This gets him killed most times. I didn`t realise this until i started testing.

I have `Z,X and C` as sidestep left, back step and right sidestep respectively. I have always had this setting for most my games and all the Witcher games. However, even though the settings show that Sidestep right is `C` and he does indeed sidestep right, he now also sheathes his weapon in the middle of a fight which is what kills him.

There is no alternative control for `Sheath weapon`, it seems it`s stuck on `C`.

Is there a way to fix this so I can get sidestep right to just be sidestep right when I press `C`? And is there a way to get his `Sheath sword` control onto another key?

I would appreciate your help as the game is unplayable like this right now.

Sounds like the key is double-mapped, somehow. If you can't find the issue through the Keyboard Settings:

1.) Remove any and all mods, if using any. Follow the mod author's instructions carefully for each one.

2.) Delete the input.settings file and everything else in that same directory (EXCEPT the gamesaves folder -- KEEP that), then verify / repair the game cache through Steam / GOG / Origin.

That will reset everything to vanilla defaults (including graphical options). You should be okay to remap your buttons / set graphical options again at that point. Just be sure you do this via the Settings Menus in-game. Directly editing the config files can lead to weirdness. If you intend to re-install mods, I would do so one at a time and check to see if one of them introduces the control glitch again.

SigilFey;n8617590 said:
Sounds like the key is double-mapped, somehow. If you can't find the issue through the Keyboard Settings:

1.) Remove any and all mods, if using any. Follow the mod author's instructions carefully for each one.

2.) Delete the input.settings file and everything else in that same directory (EXCEPT the gamesaves folder -- KEEP that), then verify / repair the game cache through Steam / GOG / Origin.

That will reset everything to vanilla defaults (including graphical options). You should be okay to remap your buttons / set graphical options again at that point. Just be sure you do this via the Settings Menus in-game. Directly editing the config files can lead to weirdness. If you intend to re-install mods, I would do so one at a time and check to see if one of them introduces the control glitch again.

Thankyou very much for your response.

Unfortunately it didn`t work. I`m using the GOG version. Deleted everything then reconfigured the controls carefully. I did it several times and restarted the pc. Didn`t work, so, did it all again and even started a brand new game, but he still holsters his sword whenever I press `C` to sidestep right... He`s fine sidestepping left on `Z` and back on `X`.

I have no mods and haven`t used any only having purchased the game a couple of days ago.

Awwwlright...

(It's been a while...I've been away from TW3 for too long.)

Here are some other considerations. Certain controls are shielded by that "Don't remap me!" thing. Changing any of these exclusive controls is begging a problem, even though it can be overridden. Also, there are now separate buttons for "draw steel sword" and "draw silver sword" if using the manual weapons option. Perhaps you need to ensure you have remapped both of these keys for either one to be reused.

On a different note, are you using a non-native keyboard, but playing in another language? I used to have wonky control issues from time to time when gaming on a laptop I bought in the Middle East as it could swap between English and Arabic keyboards. (It was a non-standard English key layout.)

SigilFey;n8621910 said:
Awwwlright...

(It's been a while...I've been away from TW3 for too long.)

Here are some other considerations. Certain controls are shielded by that "Don't remap me!" thing. Changing any of these exclusive controls is begging a problem, even though it can be overridden. Also, there are now separate buttons for "draw steel sword" and "draw silver sword" if using the manual weapons option. Perhaps you need to ensure you have remapped both of these keys for either one to be reused.

On a different note, are you using a non-native keyboard, but playing in another language? I used to have wonky control issues from time to time when gaming on a laptop I bought in the Middle East as it could swap between English and Arabic keyboards. (It was a non-standard English key layout.)

Thanks again for your reply.

Your keyboard idea was a good one- So, I swapped to another keyboard I know for sure is native. Still didn`t work though. Changing the key settings for the silver and iron sword made no difference. The `C` still makes him automatically sheath his sword. Even with the Manual control in options to sheath and unsheath his sword selected, he still does it himself if I press `C` to sidestep right.

By default `C` is labelled as `Dive`, but It seems to me like the game is simply stuck on `C` to sheath his sword as well. Maybe no one noticed it before because I`m perhaps one of a few using this configuration and they missed it in testing?

I tried reassigning the left,right and back keys to `ASD` and guess what? It worked fine when he side steps now. This is a very weird config for me as I`ve never used it; not in years- "ZXC` was always my best config. Worked in the Witcher 1 and 2 fine.

I`ll just have to do my best with it, if not guess I`ll get a refund. Thankyou very much for your help though... unless you have any other ideas?

Socratatus;n8623550 said:
By default `C` is labelled as `Dive`...

Yep-yep-yep...this might be the killer. I know that, originally, movement underwater was quite problematic -- it was driving players crazy. Many changes were made to ensure overall movement was made more fluid and intuitive (around the time they introduced the alternate movement scheme). Because "C" may be hardcoded to dive, and it's impossible to have swords drawn under water, hitting "Dive" may make the game think it's in "swimming" mode, and it sheaths the sword. That's the most reasonable explanation yet, I think.

You can always bring it up with CDPR Support directly: http://en.cdprojektred.com/contact-support/

My last suggestion before sacrificing the incredible experience of TW3...and yes, I'm being serious about this...and yes, it destroys me to say this as a dedicated PC player...is:

Play with a good gamepad.

I know! That's cringey to hear (especially if you spent money on a good mouse and keyboard), but I am 100% sold on a controller being the best way to play the game. Not only does everything feel sooo much more fluid and intuitive, it actually makes doing things like switching between bombs and signs and pulling off various skill combos much more natural. I went from the clunky, K+M experience of having to let go of movement keys and hit Tab to open my quick-menu then awkwardly cycle between different bombs, before trying to restart the action and jerk my fingers back to movement positions...

...to effortlessly diving into a roll, bringing up the menu mid-somersault, swapping bombs and signs, and using the analog sticks to sort of "aim" before sliding back into the action, rolling to my feet and tossing a bomb into a fool's face. It also revolutionizes the control you have over Roach. She can walk, trot, canter, and gallop using the controller, along with precision directional control. Using M+K, she can only trot, canter, and gallop, and she almost "snaps" to new directional facing with each key-press. Soft-locking during combat works much better with continuous analog input, as well. Fewer instances of holding right on the keyboard and having Geralt leap left.

The one downside is inventory management is a bit more annoying if you're a pack-rat. In the end, it's clear the TW3 was finely tuned for gamepad controls. At least try it before you pull the plug. (You don't want to miss this if you don't have to. Ultima VII, Morrowind, and TW3 are my top 3 favorite RPGs of all time.)

Great advice. I really don`t think I can handle a gamepad. Anyway, i`ll see what`s possible. However if you`re a fan of Ultima VII, Morrowind (as I am, Morrowind is indeed one of the best rpgs ever and I loved Ultima VII, or was it VI?), then I owe you to try at least for your kind help!

Cheers.

:smile:

Hoping for the best then! May you kill many drowners!

(You will. If you wind up playing it. You kill a lot of drowners.)

Top Bottom