Graphic Setting: GeForce Experience, NVIDIA Control Panel & TW3 In-Game

+
Graphic Setting: GeForce Experience, NVIDIA Control Panel & TW3 In-Game

Hello Everyone,

My RIG
Graphic Cards: GeForce GTX 970 FTW (x2 SLI)
CPU: Intel (R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Memory RAM: 32.0 GB
Monitor: 1920x1080, 60Hz

I am not Subject Matter Expert (SME) and I need help with a few things. Can someone explain to me why there are three graphic settings? If I don't do 3 graphic setting correctly will it affect TW3 performance and which setting override which? What are the recommended settings regarding the graphic settings?

(I highly recommend completely uninstalling Geforce Experience. It's far more trouble than it's worth. Just learn to update drivers and manage settings on your own. It's not that hard and will save you headaches in the long run. If you are going to leave it installed, go to Task Manager --> Services and Disable anything related to Nvidia Shield Technology.)

Excel 1

THE WITCHER 3: WILD HUNT
GeForce Experience CURRENT

Ambient Occlusion NVIDIA HBAO+
Anti-aliasing On
Bloom On
Depth of Field On
Detail Level Ultra
Display Mode Full-screen
Foliage Visibility Range Ultra (Optimal: High)
Grass Density Ultra
Light Shafts On
Number of Background Characters Ultra
NVIDIA HairWorks Geralt & Animals & Monsters
NVIDIA HairWorks Anti-aliasing 8x MSAA (Optimal: 4x MSAA)
NVIDIA HairWorks Preset High
Resolution 1920x1080
Shadow Quality Ultra
Terrain Quali ty Ultra
Texture Quality Ultra
Water Quality Ultra

You can changed the global 3D settings and create overrides for specific programs. The overrides will be used automatically each time the specified programs are launched. ***

Excel 2

NVIDIA Control Panel > Manage 3D Setting > Global Setting
Feature Setting

Ambient Occlusion Off
Anisotropic filtering Application-controlled
Antialiasing – FXAA Off
Antialiasing – Gamma correction On
Antialiasing – Mode Application-controlled
Antialiasing – Setting Application-controlled
Antialiasing – Transparency Off
CUDA – GPUs All
DSR – Factors Off
DSR – Smoothness Off
Maximum pre-rendered frames Use the 3D application setting
Multi-display/missed-GPU acceleration Multiple display perf. mode
Power management mode Optimal power (Switch to "Prefer maximum performance".)
SLI rendering mode NVIDIA recommended
Shader Cache On
Texture filtering – Anisotropic sample optimization Off
Texture filtering – Negative LOD bias Allow
Texture filtering – Quality Quality (Crank up to High Quality)
Texture filtering – Trilinear optimization On
Triple buffering Off
Vertical sync Use the 3D application setting
Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames 1

You can changed the global 3D settings and create overrides for specific programs. The overrides will be used automatically each time the specified programs are launched. ***

(Be sure to tweak the settings I indicate below in the program-specific tab, not the global tab.)

NVIDIA Control Panel > Manage 3D Setting > Program Settings ***
Feature Setting

Ambient Occlusion Off
Anisotropic filtering Application-controlled (Set to 16x for nicer textures.)
Antialiasing – FXAA Off
Antialiasing – Gamma correction On
Antialiasing – Mode Application-controlled
Antialiasing – Setting Application-controlled
Antialiasing – Transparency Off
CUDA – GPUs All
Maximum pre-rendered frames Use the 3D application setting
Multi-display/missed-GPU acceleration Multiple display perf. mode
Power management mode Optimal power (Lower this for TW3. Set it to "1".)
SLI rendering mode NVIDIA recommended (SLI)
Shader Cache On
Texture filtering – Anisotropic sample optimization Off
Texture filtering – Negative LOD bias Allow
Texture filtering – Quality Quality
Texture filtering – Trilinear optimization On
Threaded optimization Auto
Triple buffering Off
Vertical sync Use the 3D application setting
Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames 1

The Witcher 3 In-Game
Options > Video > Post processing

Post-processing presents
Motion Blur On
Blur On
Anti-aliasing On
Bloom Off
Sharpening Low
Ambient Occlusion HBAO+
Depth of Field On
Chromatic Aberration On
Vignetting On
Light Shafts On

Options > Video > Graphic
VSync On
Maximum Frames Per Second 60
Resolution 1920x1080
Display Mode Full Screen (Leave Fullscreen if possible.)
Preserve System Gamma Off
NVIDIA Hairworks On
NVIDIA Hairworks AA 8
NVIDIA Hairworks High
Number of Background Characters Ultra
Shadow Quality Low
Terrain Quality Ultra
Water Quality Ultra
Grass Quality Ultra
Texture Quality Ultra
Foliage Visibility Range Ultra
Detail Level Ultra
Hardware Cursor Off

P.S. I will come back for more and edit.
P.S.S I changed the Excel 1 & 2 file type: .png to .jpg to see if it works.

Attachments

• Excel 1.jpg
    Excel 1.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 868
  • Excel 2.jpg
    Excel 2.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 769
Last edited by a moderator:
Can you list the graphics settings you're referring to? Your pictures are appearing as blank pages.

Can you list the graphics settings you're referring to? Your pictures are appearing as blank pages.

For some reason, im having trouble posting this thread because it didn't go how i wanted. I made it nice and organized and as soon as i post. The thread made it sloppy. So, I posted two pictures of excel spreadsheet. Try again clicking on the pictures and if it still doesn't work. Try clicking the paper clip icon before you enter this thread.

Paper Clip Icon

---------- Updated at 08:08 PM ----------

Hello guys,

I found out that there were some minor problems with pictures at the moment. So I added URL links. Let me know if it works.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    61 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
Only Exel2 picture works :( This is truly a bummer.

Edit: Also I think you can add only 4 or 5 pictures per post and the rest are not shown.

Oh! Now I think I understand what you're asking. Time to increase that subject matter knowledge!

PCs have what you've listed as well as one more option you'll want to become familiar with.

In-Game Settings -- these will be the settings universally instituted by the developers for their game. In general, you should try to get games running well using only these settings if possible.

GPU Control Panel Settings -- these are the default settings that are used by the GPU drivers. They will attempt to override in-game settings or will work to enhance the in-game settings by adding even more GPU processes. (For example, cranking Anisotropic Filtering up to 16x in Nvidia CP will help to noticeably clear up textures for little to no performance cost.) There are also 2 ways to do this:

a.) Global Settings -- which will affect all programs universally. Setting things like Texture Quality - High Quality or Power Management - Prefer Maximum Performance is a usual tweak to Global Settings if your hardware is med.- / high-end. As all programs can benefit from this. Forcing things like AA or AF golbally, however, is not a good idea, as this can create conflicts or glitches with some games.

b.) Game-Specific Settings -- These are the same as Global settings, but they will only affect the game .EXE that you specify. This way, you can tweak things for each games without borking the others.

GPU Extended Settings -- Like the wonderful Nvidia Inspector, which you will definitely want. These will provide even more in-depth control over all individual settings. Most useful is the Frame Cap option, as it limits frames through the drivers directly, instead of using in-game settings. This one setting can alleviate problems for many games across the board. Just like a Control Panel, the settings can be either Global or Game Specific.

How does it all work? Trial and error. Every PC is different. What works perfectly for you may well cause a CTD at startup for me. You simply have to fiddle until you learn how your system works. I've edited your initial post to color code your settings. Increasing the level of the items in blue will have a moderate performance impact. Red will have a major impact. Those I left black will have, like, no impact at all -- so crank 'em up to ON / Ultra.

P.S. -- Always try to get the game running using in-game settings first. Then move on to Nvidia CP to tweak, add more pretty, etc. If there are still stubborn things, bring up NV Inspector and build a profile for that game to continue tweaking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom