stutter in some places

+
stutter in some places

when entering a new area the game stutters for 4-5 sec then it goes back to normal it really breaks immersion
i tried increasing pool size ,, using ssd + sshd & playing on another pc but the problem still there
is there any fix ??
i uploaded a video

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums, islam610 !

Let's begin the fiddling. Can you list your specs?

Also, ensure the game is running without mods, in 1080p, Fullscreen, Vsync ON, Frame Limit = 60. (These may change, but it's a stable starting point.)

Thanks.. my specs
gtx 1070 gigabyte g1 gaming
i7 7700k
16 gb ram ddr4 3000mhz cl 15
120gb ssd + 2 tb sshd
psu: 750 80plus gold
motherboard : asus rog strix z270h gaming

iam running the game on 1080p without any mods with v-sync on and high performance mode in nvidia control panel

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay. Real life and all tha jazz.

Under Nvidia CP (under the witcher3.exe game-specific settings) set:

1.) Frames to render ahead = 1

2.) Negative LOD bias = Clamp

3.) V-sync = Controlled by the 3D application

4.) Texture filtering = either Quality or High Quality (If it's already set to one, switch to the other.)

5.) Also feel free to set Anisotropic Filtering to 16x / enhance the 3D application. (Great little tweak for no performance cost.)

Just confirming that you have Frame Limit set to 60 in-game?

i Tried to use this settings & limit the frames to 60 but still the same
the game always stutter in the same spots for 1-2 sec then it gets back to normal
some of my friends have the game so i tried to play on their pcs and it stutters in the exact same spots
i think it's game related problem not hardware or software problem
is there anything i can tweak in ini files so i can make loading new areas faster

Are you talking about the microstutter/slowdown that's happening just before the bridge to the Seven Cats Inn? I believe that is unavoidable.

If I had to guess, I'd say it is the limitations of current hardware/software. Since this is, after all, an open-world game, the game engine streams all of the world, NPC, texture, polygon, telemetry, etc. data. Since you're heading into Novigrad, which is a very heavily populated area, in terms of textures, NPC data, polygons, and whatever else, the engine is struggling to load it all quickly. Further optimizations may be sufficient to smooth the streaming of data, but CDPR has, I believe, optimized the game thoroughly enough. I don't know if it is possible to optimize it any further.

Either way, that stutter/slowdown is hardly noticeable and even less remotely game-breaking. I think you may just have to deal with it.

Last edited:
yes the stutters mostly happen when crossing bridges
the weird thing is when i save & load game it doesn't stutter again in the same spot but when i close the game & open it again it stutters

Oh...it's been a while since I've even thought of this. Every map seems to have an FPS "sink" areas. Performance just drops in those small areas for no apparent reason, but it's the same for everyone across all platforms. I also get some little pops in that area -- but nothing really jarring. It's mostly due to the streaming of data to load areas. My guess is that these particular regions are simply at "nexus" points for data being loaded / culled.

Is it the same type of stuttering and popping you get in the southwest woodland areas of White Orchard? Right here?

TW3_White_Orchard_Low_FPS_Zone.jpg

If so, I'm afraid there's nothing I've ever found to alleviate the performance drop aside from pretty significantly decreasing graphical settings. I just deal with them now since they're relatively tiny areas.

finally fixed it
1-disabled in game v-sync & used nvidia v-sync
2-deleted APEX_ClothingGPU_x64.dll
3- disabled full screen optimization
4 changed some values in rendering.ini
MaxTextureSize 4096
MaxAtlasTextureSize 4096
TextureMemoryBudget 1024
TextureMemoryGUIBudget 100

now i get perfect 60 fps with every thing on ultra <3

I'm also having these stutters! For instance when I ride from Crow's Perch to Blackbough... I get a stutter on the same place every time. My rig is very powerful, so it would be wierd if it's the hardware that there's something wrong with... Could it be a "data portal" of some sort?

Edit: Im not getting any stutters around that bridge that you mentioned SigilFey ...

Last edited:
Floads;n10383662 said:
I'm also having these stutters! For instance when I ride from Crow's Perch to Blackbough... I get a stutter on the same place every time. My rig is very powerful, so it would be wierd if it's the hardware that there's something wrong with... Could it be a "data portal" of some sort?

Edit: Im not getting any stutters around that bridge that you mentioned SigilFey ...

Yeah -- this thread is old...and the pic I uploaded was even older than that. The "sink" areas I described have been either done away with, mitigated, or shifted. For example, the sink I experience in that area has now shifted from the bridge to the woodland area just to the NW, where a small camp of bandits can be found. I'll drop into the 20 FPS range with a frame limit of 60. However, with the limit set to 48...the FPS remain at 48. (*Shrug.* The engine is just a very particular beast.)

Same problem here :(
Have terrible shuttering on my Rig :
Core i5 4690k 4.50 Ghz
GTX 1080 Gainward GS
16 Gb DDR3 2400 Mhz G.Skill Tridex
Cruciam MX200 SSD
Asus Z97 Pro-Gamer
Win 7 64

Just cant find a fix :/

I also Checked my PC with DPC Latency software and no problems ! This is the only game where i have a problem with shuttering !

Marcin_89.683;n10443782 said:
Same problem here :(
Have terrible shuttering on my Rig :
Core i5 4690k 4.50 Ghz
GTX 1080 Gainward GS
16 Gb DDR3 2400 Mhz G.Skill Tridex
Cruciam MX200 SSD
Asus Z97 Pro-Gamer
Win 7 64

Just cant find a fix :/

I also Checked my PC with DPC Latency software and no problems ! This is the only game where i have a problem with shuttering !

Your rig should be able to perform pretty smoothly at a mix of High / Ultra settings. Disabling Hairworks or pulling back Foliage Distance to could really smooth things out. As a comparison, my specs are close:
i7-4790K @4.0 GHz
16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3
eVGA GTX 980 ti
Samsung EVO SSD
ASUS Z97-A motherboard

I get rock-solid performance in Fullscreen, 1920x1080, Ultra Settings + increased shadow tweaks, Hairworks Off, Frame Limit = 48 FPS.

(Hairworks On results in regular FPS dips. Frame Limits in the 50s result in totally random stutters [more like abrupt FPS dips]. A set Frame Limit of 60, unlimited FPS, and/or running in Windowed / Borderless results in hitching and microstutter, but only in select areas. But using the settings above results in absolutely flawless performance. Not a single FPS fluctuation in any situation.)

Some questions to start:

1.) Using any mods, or have you ever used any in the past?

2.) Are you on a laptop? (The mo-bo alone makes me think not, but just want to be sure.)

3.) What are your game settings?

4.) Nvidia Control Panel Settings? (Check under the program-specific settings for witcher3.exe, not "Global".)

5.) Whatcha got going on as far as overclocking, extra cooling, etc.

6.) Is your drive partitioned? (Not sure about this yet, but I think partitioning software for SSDs is causing some issues.)

7.) What anti-virus / -spyware / -malware stuff do you have installed?

Top Bottom