GOTY doesn't launch on Nvidia GPU, but works with integrated one.

+
GOTY doesn't launch on Nvidia GPU, but works with integrated one.

Windows 7 64 bit
Intel Core i5-6300HQ 2.30 Ghz
Nvidia Geforce GTX 960m

Hello.

I recently bought and installed gog version of The Witcher 3 GOTY.
When i'm launching game on with Nvidia Geforce GTX 960m, the only thing I see is a black screen and loading cursor.
Weird thing is that switching to integrated GPU allows me to start a game without any problems - ofc with miserable utility.

I tried every soulution i was able to find:
- reinstalled game twice
- reinstalling NET
- tried different drivers (present, old, even older)
- turned off Geforce Experience
- launched game via exe
- deleted and cleaned remnants of GOG Galaxy

I'd be grateful for any help to allow me experience this game ;)

THX!

Welcome to the Forums, B.JPG!

What is this!? A computer failing to cooperate with a game!?!? Inconceivable!!!

1.) I would recommend completely uninstalling Geforce Experience. If not, disable any Services relating to Nvidia Shield and Streamer through Task Manager.

2.) In Nvidia Control Panel, switch to the Program Settings tab under "Manage 3D options". Select witcher3.exe. Under CUDA - GPUs, manually select only your 960m.

Let us know how that works!

Hello again!

Unfortunaly none of these measures worked. Launch via Geforce still efects with endless black loading screen, and launch via Intel works fine.
Is there any hope left? :(

Last edited:
Can you explain more about your system? I owned an ASUS RoG laptop years ago that (while an awesome system) had some major issues with certain reference driver versions. I'm 90% sure that the drivers are at the root of this. Mobile GPUs can be finicky.

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit. Maybe there are some reliable drivers that i should try? Until now i was choosing to try random older drivers.

Well, I'm on Windows 7 x64 myself, using Nvidia Reference Drivers v381.65. Just started a new playthrough couple days ago...no issues whatsoever.

What I'm asking for is more detailed info on the specifics of your system. For example, my old laptop that I used to experience this same issue with from time-to-time was:

ASUS Republic of Gamers G71
Windows 8
i7 3960QM
24 GB RAM
GTX 670m, 2 GB VRAM
2x Samsung Hybrid SSD 120 GB / HDD 500 GB

The system would sometimes refuse to recognize the 670m through the games, and I would occasionally have to force it on. Other times, it would refuse to update drivers, claiming that they were the wrong version. In the end, it took a lot of fiddling, creating a Hidden Admin Account, forcing the .NIF files to be recognized through Windows Permissions...a whole bunch of stuff that I hope won't be needed here. There was a "security setting" that it looks like ASUS had introduced that wanted me to download only from their website -- it wouldn't even cooperate with reference drivers, sometimes. Trouble is, I don't remember exactly what the steps were to fix it...it was ~8 years ago...but it was definitely a Windows setting.

Top Bottom