Screen freezes and game crashes to desktop

+
Screen freezes and game crashes to desktop

Hey everybody,

For some reason my game freezes up, the image is frozen, but the music keeps playing and i'm able to to things such as casting, etc.
I do not use mods, however I do have the DLC installed.

Slightly after fhe screen freezes, the screen turns black and the game has crashed. Leaving me on the desktop and irritated.

I tried to load older saves but they do not work either. I checked the integrity of the game files, I even re-installed the entire game.
However, nothing seems to work.

Does anyone know how to fix the problem?

Best,
Bram

WalteriusMaximus;n8829830 said:
You should post your PC specs. Sounds to me like your components are overheating or your PC is simply not powerful enough to run the game.

I run the following set up:

Windows 10
AMD Ryzen 5
32 gb RAM
Geforce GTX 960
Witcher 3 plus dlc is installed on an SSD with 180gb to spare.

I checked the temprature for the CPU and it stays around 40c when running the game.

I did a clean re-install, but it did not do me any good.

SOLUTION:i found a solution (for now) I used DDU to uninstal Nvidia experience completely and reinstalled the driver manualy without all the extras.
The game has been running stable for a few hours now.

brammo1991;n8840500 said:
SOLUTION:i found a solution (for now) I used DDU to uninstal Nvidia experience completely and reinstalled the driver manualy without all the extras.
The game has been running stable for a few hours now.

Will do, but holy crapshits, what a problem to solve :p

Try taking the load off of you GPU.

I just re-installed and had some new performance issues this time around. (Last I played was pre-GOTY edition.) Having a fresh install of v1.31, I immediately noticed that performance, while more consistent overall, was also slower overall. I used to be able to get a solid 55-60 everywhere with very rare drops into the 30-40 range. Now, I seems to constantly fluctuate between 40-60, with regular hitches into the 30's. I also noticed that my GPU was firing up. The fans were really working pretty regularly. But I also saw almost no pop-in at all, which is something I've never been able to achieve before.

To me, that says massive optimization of the engine was done. So, I locked my Frame Limit to 48 by manually editing the user.settings file. Under [Engine], just change LimitFPS=48.

I know that might sound odd, and 48 FPS is a far cry from a solid 60 FPS, but it's still very smooth. Your eye will adjust to the slight "stutter" while panning around very quickly. Above all, it takes an enormous load off of the GPU. I hardly ever hear my fans spin up now. Above all, the game does not move from 48 FPS. It has been rock-solid throughout the entire playthrough of White Orchard so far. If your crashing is coming from heat or voltage, this will probably help out.

EDIT: This is Ultra settings at 1920x1080, Fullscreen, Ultra Settings + Shadow Tweaks for greater draw distance, Hairworks OFF.

i7-4790K
GTX 980 ti
16 GB RAM
Samsung EVO SSD

I would imagine your rig should get comparable performance if you cap frames at 45 or 48. Maybe

Last edited:
I have something similar happen. First 30+ hours of the game, almost no problems. Lately, it's predictably crash-y. But I found the common issue, at least for me:

If a monster (or sometimes targetable thing like a wall) is in range, such that I would pick it up with Witcher senses, I CANNOT go into Inventory, Map, etc. It is 95% likely the game will either:

1) Crash to desktop, no error (about 25% of the time)
2) Hard lock, sometimes a black screen, sometimes a freeze, requiring a full power-off. About 25% of that time, GPU fans ramp up and down unpredictably.

Before the usual "overheating/power" non-fixes come, I have monitored GPU and CPU power usage and temp. No overheating, no odd behavior (GPU temp tends to be lowest when this occurs). And yes, I've gotten rid of all the extra Nvidia crap, running latest drivers, etc. Given that this is HIGHLY reproducible in my case, this seems like an odd game/driver interaction error of some sort.

Like I said, I can reproduce it nearly at-will, so if a dev wants to PM me, I'm glad to help debug. I've done some game coding, so I get what a pain crashes like this can be, but you have a guy who can reproduce it pretty easily here, and I'd be glad to help.

Dave

fizzgig16;n8997360 said:
I have something similar happen. First 30+ hours of the game, almost no problems. Lately, it's predictably crash-y. But I found the common issue, at least for me:

If a monster (or sometimes targetable thing like a wall) is in range, such that I would pick it up with Witcher senses, I CANNOT go into Inventory, Map, etc. It is 95% likely the game will either:

1) Crash to desktop, no error (about 25% of the time)
2) Hard lock, sometimes a black screen, sometimes a freeze, requiring a full power-off. About 25% of that time, GPU fans ramp up and down unpredictably.

Before the usual "overheating/power" non-fixes come, I have monitored GPU and CPU power usage and temp. No overheating, no odd behavior (GPU temp tends to be lowest when this occurs). And yes, I've gotten rid of all the extra Nvidia crap, running latest drivers, etc. Given that this is HIGHLY reproducible in my case, this seems like an odd game/driver interaction error of some sort.

Like I said, I can reproduce it nearly at-will, so if a dev wants to PM me, I'm glad to help debug. I've done some game coding, so I get what a pain crashes like this can be, but you have a guy who can reproduce it pretty easily here, and I'd be glad to help.

Dave

If you're on Windows 10, know that the Creator's Update has introduced "things" that have given a lot of games blistering migraines. If that's the case, there may be nothing for it but to wait until Microsoft releases another update.

If that's not the case, we'll need a place to start. Crashes are always caused by the software unable to get the data it needs. Usually, this is a result of something on the PC being configured in a less than optimal way or another function (like other software) getting in the game's way. (It's definitely not the game, as if it were, all users would be seeing exactly the same crash in exactly the same way.) The most common suspects are:

1.) GPU drivers. Either an uncooperative version, old driver data hiding out in your system, or a "funky" driver (like tweaked or custom jobs). Uninstall whatever driver you're using, and use Display Driver Uninstaller to remove all GPU data from your system. Then, install the same version you are using now by downloading reference drivers directly from Nvidia or AMD. Install those using the CLEAN installation option. (I also really, strongly recommend NOT using anything like Geforce Experience.)

2.) Background applications and Services. This is actually far more of an issue, and far harder to manage, than many users realize. Run (Windows-Key + R) both msconfig and services.msc, in turn, and "Disable" everything that is not a core Microsoft function. This may take a chunk of research, as every system is different. In particular, programs like Skype, Chrome, anti-virus, anti-malware, cameras, phones, external drives, USB drives, and etc. can install a lot of "bloatware" that wreak havoc with games.

3.) Windows Permissions. By default, Windows will install all programs under Program Files or Program Files(x86). This is often a "very bad thing" for games. These are protected directories that have to pass all sorts of checks and protocols in order to function. Not only can this slow down gaming performance, but it can easily keep a game from executing a critical function. Ensure no games are installed under these directories; this may necessitate moving your entire Steam / GOG / Origin installation path. (GOG may be as easy as drag-and-drop, but research the steps needed if using Galaxy, Steam, or Origin.)

4.) Incorrect hardware config. It happens. Even in off-the-shelf systems. Very often with custom builds or do-it-yourself jobs. The wrong BIOS or firmware is installed. If all of the above fails, and you are certain you meet or exceed minimum requirements...then it may this joyful scenario. We'll...cross that bridge if we come to it.

5.) Improperly seated or busted hardware. Ensure the GPU and RAM chips are completely pushed into their slots. Ensure all cables are fully "snapped" into their sockets. As for busted hardware: I used a Falcon-NW PC (that cost me nearly $4,000...:confused:) for almost 6 months with a faulty video card. The manufacturer used an adhesive on the GPU chip that would fracture and separate the chip from the card whenever the system cooled. But shocking the system with a board discharge would heat up the adhesive just enough to create a bridge, and card would work perfectly fine indefinitely...days at a time. I suffered from really random, rare instability issues. Upon finally identifying the problem and receiving a replacement GPU (free upgrade! :D...Falcon-NW is as expensive as @#$%! and worth every penny) I never had a problem again. It is perfectly possible that the crashing is caused by a physical issue with your hardware, even though everything seems to be fine.

This is normal. This is what PC gaming is about. This is fine. ;)

SigilFey Sure enough, the problem returned..

Nothing changes hardware wise, i did update all my drivers.
I tried using AI suite to super cool my cpu and gpu, which stayed between 40~42c whilst playing.
At first the game was smooth and ran for a few hours, but suddenly it just freezes and crashes, subsequent start ups crashed almost instantly..

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:
brammo1991;n9340841 said:
SigilFey Sure enough, the problem returned..

Time to take it into a shop. I think your issue is likely hardware.

1.) Disable any and all overclocking (not just on the GPU -- everything) if you're using any.

2.) Choose a good, custom PC shop (preferably one that builds gaming rigs). Do not use Best Buy or any chain store. Any good shop will look at the system for free and only charge you if you agree to repairs. (And it only takes ~15 minutes.) You may want to specifically ask them to test the PSU, as that would be a brilliantly simple fix.

SigilFey;n9364731 said:
Time to take it into a shop. I think your issue is likely hardware.

1.) Disable any and all overclocking (not just on the GPU -- everything) if you're using any.

2.) Choose a good, custom PC shop (preferably one that builds gaming rigs). Do not use Best Buy or any chain store. Any good shop will look at the system for free and only charge you if you agree to repairs. (And it only takes ~15 minutes.) You may want to specifically ask them to test the PSU, as that would be a brilliantly simple fix.

Thanks for the advice, i don't overclock. I think i have found the problem, the BIOS needs to be updated, but my mobo does not recognize the bios files (go pc gaming!!)

brammo1991;n9386681 said:
I think i have found the problem, the BIOS needs to be updated

This is possible, but what led you to that conclusion? Normally, BIOS issues result in BSoDs or critical errors that identify I/O issues. Crashing and hanging are more likely file system or Windows errors. Computers "turning off" or "rebooting" without warning are normally hardware or power issues.

brammo1991;n9386681 said:
Thanks for the advice, i don't overclock. I think i have found the problem, the BIOS needs to be updated, but my mobo does not recognize the bios files (go pc gaming!!)

SigilFey;n9387911 said:
This is possible, but what led you to that conclusion? Normally, BIOS issues result in BSoDs or critical errors that identify I/O issues. Crashing and hanging are more likely file system or Windows errors. Computers "turning off" or "rebooting" without warning are normally hardware or power issues.

I'd figure it had to be, because nothing is overheating, all drivers are up to date, used DDU to get rid of all the unnecessary Nvidea drivers, windows is up to date, the games have been verified, re-installed, the steam download cache cleared...
I honestly have no clue what can cause my games to crash other than the bios being unstable with Ryzen5 1600x, or if this is a bug which has not been fixed by AMD yet, which would really suck because that would been I cant play games for a while.

The only thing i have not yet tried is to completely wiping the pc (after doing a back up for all my files [and savegames]) and re-installing windows and the games to see if that clears the issue.

Any thoughts?

brammo1991;n9405421 said:
I'd figure it had to be, because nothing is overheating, all drivers are up to date, used DDU to get rid of all the unnecessary Nvidea drivers, windows is up to date, the games have been verified, re-installed, the steam download cache cleared...
I honestly have no clue what can cause my games to crash other than the bios being unstable with Ryzen5 1600x, or if this is a bug which has not been fixed by AMD yet, which would really suck because that would been I cant play games for a while.

The only thing i have not yet tried is to completely wiping the pc (after doing a back up for all my files [and savegames]) and re-installing windows and the games to see if that clears the issue.

Any thoughts?

Mmm...not yet! :cool: But there are plenty of other steps to take:

1.) Where did you get this system? Is it custom or off-the-shelf? Desktop or Laptop?

2.) You mentioned the game worked fine for a while up above (after using DDU to reinstall the GPU drivers). Can you describe exactly when the issue started up again? (What were you doing? What else was plugged in? Did anything on the computer auto-update just before or after? Etc.)

3.) What other software is running when Windows starts up. Hit "Windows Key + R", type msconfig, and select the Startup tab.

4.) What do you use for anti-virus / -spayware / -malware / etc.?

Quite simply, though I run the risk of putting my foot in my mouth, BIOS issues do not "come and go". If you had a BIOS problem, you would see the same thing all the time. I wouldn't fudge with it yet.

I think your problem is Windows 10. Did you update from a prior version of Windows or install on a freshly formatted drive? Incidentally, reinstalling an OS should not be necessary anymore. The way things work nowadays, using the same installation of OS is kind of like seasoning a cast-iron frying pan. You want to get it "just so". That doesn't happen if you constantly buy new pans. (This analogy means...nothing...if you don't cook...but...it's what was in my head...:p)

The one caveat to the above is if you upgraded from Windows 7, 8.1, etc. The second downside is that SSDs really don't like being formatted, and doing so will impact the life of the drive. Not sure if they've gotten around this yet.

SigilFey;n9405741 said:
Mmm...not yet! :cool: But there are plenty of other steps to take:

1.) Where did you get this system? Is it custom or off-the-shelf? Desktop or Laptop?

2.) You mentioned the game worked fine for a while up above (after using DDU to reinstall the GPU drivers). Can you describe exactly when the issue started up again? (What were you doing? What else was plugged in? Did anything on the computer auto-update just before or after? Etc.)

3.) What other software is running when Windows starts up. Hit "Windows Key + R", type msconfig, and select the Startup tab.

4.) What do you use for anti-virus / -spayware / -malware / etc.?

Quite simply, though I run the risk of putting my foot in my mouth, BIOS issues do not "come and go". If you had a BIOS problem, you would see the same thing all the time. I wouldn't fudge with it yet.

I think your problem is Windows 10. Did you update from a prior version of Windows or install on a freshly formatted drive? Incidentally, reinstalling an OS should not be necessary anymore. The way things work nowadays, using the same installation of OS is kind of like seasoning a cast-iron frying pan. You want to get it "just so". That doesn't happen if you constantly buy new pans. (This analogy means...nothing...if you don't cook...but...it's what was in my head...:p)

The one caveat to the above is if you upgraded from Windows 7, 8.1, etc. The second downside is that SSDs really don't like being formatted, and doing so will impact the life of the drive. Not sure if they've gotten around this yet.

1 it's a custom build:
Ryzen 5 1600x
Corsair RMx Series RM750x
asus prime b350 plus
nvidea gtx 960
4 times corsair vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 2400mhz
the games and windows are installed on two seperate SSD disks

2: When i play the game the crash occurs random, sometimes right away, sometimes after a few hours.

3 the other programs that are running are:
- steam
- windows defender
- realtek hd audio manager

4 just windows defender.

Thanks for your response, but I still have a few questions hanging out there. ;) Please, answer all of the following as completely as you can:

brammo1991;n9408071 said:
1 it's a custom build: Ryzen 5 1600x Corsair RMx Series RM750x asus prime b350 plus nvidea gtx 960 4 times corsair vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 2400mhz the games and windows are installed on two seperate SSD disks

2: When i play the game the crash occurs random, sometimes right away, sometimes after a few hours.

+ Did you put this together and burn it in on your own, or did a shop build it?

+ Also, are your SSDs set up in RAID-0, or are they working separately? If they are not exactly the same make and model of SSD, that could also be a potential issue.

+ What's your cooling solution? Are you using any overclocking for any of your hardware?

+ Are you seeing problems in any other games / software?

Referring to my posts above:

SigilFey;n9004350 said:
3.) Windows Permissions. By default, Windows will install all programs under Program Files or Program Files(x86). This is often a "very bad thing" for games. These are protected directories that have to pass all sorts of checks and protocols in order to function. Not only can this slow down gaming performance, but it can easily keep a game from executing a critical function. Ensure no games are installed under these directories; this may necessitate moving your entire Steam / GOG / Origin installation path. (GOG may be as easy as drag-and-drop, but research the steps needed if using Galaxy, Steam, or Origin.)

+ Can you post the path Steam is installed to?

SigilFey;n9004350 said:
5.) Improperly seated or busted hardware. Ensure the GPU and RAM chips are completely pushed into their slots. Ensure all cables are fully "snapped" into their sockets.

+ Are you certain the power supply cables, SSD connections, GPU card itself, RAM chips, etc. are "clicked" into their slots. All white-capped cables will securely "snick" when they're in. The black-tipped cables may not, but they should sit in their slots with no wobble when they're in. Very often, cards / chips can go in deceptively hard (and you don't want to be too forceful). Applying firm, steady pressure over 10-15 seconds, you may suddenly feel the card / chip slide the rest of the way into the slot. There may even be latches on either side of each card that lock and confirm the hardware is seated.

(I just want to be sure we've covered this, as it's a common problem with non-manufacturer or do-it-yourself systems.)

SigilFey;n9405741 said:
Did you update from a prior version of Windows or install on a freshly formatted drive?

+ This is quite important, as complete Windows version "upgrades" can be quite problematic for systems -- especially if the prior version of Windows has a lot of software installed or has been used for a significant period of time. Windows 10 (in particular, the Creator's Update) seems to have introduced a lot of problems for many users. A clean installation of Windows eliminates this possibility. Again, knowing what we're dealing with here is a good focus point.

brammo1991;n9408071 said:
3 the other programs that are running are:
- steam
- windows defender
- realtek hd audio manager

4 just windows defender.

Awesomes! :) That's a job of work saved.

Forward motion: Fans going screwy, either crash or hang at random, reliably recreated...I'm still heavily leaning to it being either a power issue or general Windows 10 funkiness.

It's also possible your cooling setup may simply be drawing too much power from a 750 watt solution. ~40°C under load is wildly low. Modern cards tend to hover between 60°C-70°C on average. They can safely spike over 80°C, but I try to avoid that. (I wasn't exactly comforted when I learned that my 980 was simply going to live above 60°C, but that's the design. :confused: Texture ovens.) Maybe easing off on the cooling will help.

Lastly, (for now...:p) I suspect your monitoring software may be reporting incorrectly. Try downloading GPU-Z. Use that to monitor temps, voltage, and performance while playing. It's my preferred utility, as it's pretty no-frills, and it's pretty, dang accurate for a free app.

Now, THIS feels like we're sailing the open, PC ocean! The silicon in the air...the whir of hardware straining against the winds of fate...the squall line of doom gathering on the horizon...! (Breathes deeply.) It's like getting into an accident on your way to the dentist!
:look:

Last edited:
Top Bottom