Digital download won't launch

+
Digital download won't launch

Purchased through Xbox One store. A static Witcher 3 screen is displayed for about 10 seconds, followed by a black screen for about another 10 seconds, then it reverts back to the Xbox One menu. Tried troubleshooting with Xbox live, including a factory reset. Still after 5 downloads game will not launch. I'm never prompted to install any patches. Console reports everything is up to date. Need assistance, please.

iCake

Forum veteran
Other games working alright I presume? I know you did a factory reset already, but try power cycling the console to clear the cache. I had a few troubles like yours over my years with Xbox One and power cycling has always done good by it. Power up your console, hold down the power button for a few seconds until it shuts down, unplug your console from the outlet, wait a minute or two, then put it all back together.

Also make sure there weren't any problems with the last system update, but factoty reset kind of covers it though... All in all this can indeed be a hardware problem. If everything fails I'd turn it in if it's still under warranty.

One more thing, what kind of factory reset did you do? The full or partial, that's the one that keeps content on your xbox. You might want to consider the full reset if you didn't perfrom one already.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I have power cycled numerous times, even leaving it unplugged for up to 1/2 an hour. Also, it was a full factory reset, where everything was erased, which is why I had to download the game again.

All other games are working, but my console is out of warranty. Any other ideas? Thanks for your help.

iCake

Forum veteran
Unfortunately I don't have any magic tricks to help you here. I can only suggest that you try downloading the game from another region to get a different version:

Completely delete the game -> change your location to whichever you like in settings -> reboot your system (you'll be prompted to do so) -> redownload the game under your new region -> change back to your real region to avoid the game language being in a language you don't understand -> try running the game.

I can't guarantee it will work unfortunately. As far as I know there are 3 distinct digital versions: the US version, European version and Russian version. All of them have a different set of languages in them but all have English to it. The US version even has a different sequence of boot screens as it has to give credit to WB. (game publisher in the US) Try picking one that's different from yours if you're willing to go down this route.

Last edited:
Top Bottom