[Act IV] Berengar will pay -- if I can figure out how to do it...

+
[Act IV] Berengar will pay -- if I can figure out how to do it...

Last time I let him live, but this time I've decided he really does deserve to die for betraying the Witchers. The only problem is that I can't actually angage him in battle. He sits by his little fire, and I can't do anything but talk to him. I figure my last chance to kill him is coming up soon, when I return to the villlage for the last time after killing Dagon. Is that the time? Or have I missed something?

You get a dialogue option with him that suggests you could duel him after killing Dagon and speaking to the Lady (be sure to rest on the island if Berengar doesn't show up next to the firepalce by the boat).

But this will not happen unless you are on Black Tern Island and only after killing Dagon (and having killed Dagon, you may need to leave the island and come back) ... it does not happen anywhere else AFAIK

I feel sorry for Berengar. From what he says, it sounds as if he was never given a choice about whether or not he wanted to be a witcher -- the boys are taken as children and indoctrinated into the witcher's life. Most of the witchers seem to adapt well to their profession, but I don't think it's surprising that there would be the occasional witcher who felt as if he didn't owe the other witchers any loyalty because he was never given a choice about whether or not to be one. Someone who survives all of the trials but who's low in aggressiveness or bloodlust or whatever you want to call it could well find that what he has become is repulsive.Nope, I don't blame Berengar. I think witchers are extremely cool fictional characters, but I would feel sorry for anyone who had to be one in real life. The witcher's life is a hard enough road even for those who are relatively whole-hearted about being witchers -- for those like Berengar, who never wanted to be a witcher in the first place, it must be torture.

That's true. And he can't see the difference between the Salamandra and the Witchers. Oh hang on. I just tried not killing him, and read his letter. Guess letting him go is the right thing to do.

Corylea said:
Nope, I don't blame Berengar. I think witchers are extremely cool fictional characters, but I would feel sorry for anyone who had to be one in real life. The witcher's life is a hard enough road even for those who are relatively whole-hearted about being witchers -- for those like Berengar, who never wanted to be a witcher in the first place, it must be torture.
I feel the very same way. Berengar never had a choice about becoming a Witcher, and then it's clear he didn't want to screw over the others but had to give up something in order to spare his life. It's not like he turned "Judas" on the Witchers, as he always planned on killing Azar Javed anyway. If the poor bloke has to die then better he should die battling Javed than another Witcher.

Berengar came to be after I was knighted by the Lady of the Lake and I went to the boat and Berengar was waiting for me.You have two options: Listen to what he has to say or call him a traitor and kill him.Basically Let him live or Kill him.The bottom option where you call him a traitor is pretty much the KILL option.The top option is that he gives you a letter saying he was a coward and fell into Salamandra's demands.I choose to forgive him.If you kill him I think you get he's medallion which is a great help in the last chapter.

It is, it is
When you face Azar Javed for the final fight the strong magic of Berengar's amulett damages Javed. In the heat of the moment you won't notice it though Geralt makes a comment on it. If you are sharped eyes you notice that Javed's health ring reduces without any action from Geralt
I couldn't kill Berengar either because he proves to be very insightful and regrets what he has done. And moreover he convinced me with his arguments.And from my personal view... I don't think witchers are bad. If you call me naive I won't object :angel:

I have the problem, that i can't find berengar after my return from the island. An I coundn't find Julian or the Priest. Is this because Rayla is already there? To kill Dragon was my last quest, i already did the Alina/Celina Quest. Do I have to do the quest in an other order? First kill dragon, and than the heat of the day and then back to the Island to get the silversword?

After killing Dagon, all the other quests terminate, except Free Elves (with Rayla). You can still find Berengar if you turn around and go back to Black Tern Island. He'll either be on the little island where you leave the boat (with the campfire), or he'll follow Geralt onto the main island, but the confrontation happens there.It's a bug as far as i can tell, but manageable :)Usually, in Act IV, i'd recommend doing all the other quests before killing Dagon.

o.k., i will try to find him. But do i miss a lot, if i can't speak to the priest or julian? I mean, in EXP or so? But did I get you right, that after killing dragon there would be no chance to end the head of the day quest anyway?

Yes you'd miss quite a bit actually. Definitely worth just taking the boat back after you arrive from killing Dagon, he'll be right there waiting for you.

I don't think you miss out on any XP by not advising Julian and the friendly vodyanoi priest that Dagon is dead.If anyone has confirmation that there is any way at all to speak with those 2 after killing Dagon, please let me know. AFAIK they disappear after Dagon is vanquished.Any quests from Act IV that are not finished: (list below) are might be forfeit depending on which quests you have completed after killing DagonAlvin -- this one is not forfeitDaily BreadHunting the Wild Hunt -- this one is not forfeitOld Habits Die HardSmall ProblemsTemptationThe Alp ContractThe Ancient CemetaurThe Basilisk ContractThe Devourer ContractThe Giant Centipede ContractThe Royal Wyvern ContractThe Vodyan Priest

Sorry, I meant you'd lose out not talking to Berengar :)Of course you also lose out if you don't finish heat of the day by failing to talk to Julian.game widow: From your list, would Hunting the Wild Hunt and Old Habits Die Hard possibly still be available as they involve Lakeside and Fields and not Murky Waters? I haven't tested, but just wondering. Paths of Destiny definitely is available after killing Dagon as that is a prerequisite to even finishing it :)

It is possible that those 2 quests *might* still be doable, but i don't think so. I can check fairly easily as i have a saved game from right after killing Dagon :)stay tuned !Update #1: I loaded a saved game where i had finished neither The Heat of the Day, nor Hunting the Wild Hunt and killed Dagon. After that, all outstanding quests were still available (granted i did not have many left, but in particular, the two mentioned above were still active, and the villagers were still around)So killing Dagon is NOT what causes the other quests to end prematurely, there must be something else. I'll keep digging.Update # 2: well, all i can say is that there a number of things i will have to re-examine. Getting Aerondight does not close of Hunting the Wild Hunt either ... and those wraiths were a piece of cake on hard using Aerondight :) -- this also means more updates on the wiki, as i'd hate to mislead anyone reading that !So if anyone knows of any other facts that I've missed, or misinterpreted, please let me know, so i can add them to my checklist for the wiki write-up! :wave:

maybe it is just ending all other quest, if you get the silversword? If I talk to Julian and the priest first, than go back to the island and to the Lady of the see (don't know her name in english), get the sword and return to the village again. Maybe that is the way. Has someone experienced that? Maybe I look for a save.

It was not getting the sword either. I'm very, very curious now. No need to load an old game (unless you want to), but please, if you could let me know exactly which quests in Act IV you have and have not done (based on the list provided earlier) that would be a great help to me, and possibly, i can figure out what went wrong for you (if anything!)thanks in advance :)

I will reload an old save from before talking to the lady of the sea, but after killing dragon. that is not so much to do again. But up to now i have every Quest mentioned above, beside talking to Julian and the Priest after killing Dragon. But the quest ended by talking with the lady. edit:I've tried to talk to Julian or the Priest bevor talking to the Sealady, but there is no option. If you kill Dragon but do not talk to her, everything stays the same, all Players are were they have been bevor, all quests are open. So talking to the Lady of the Sea and ending Quest Waves (?) is the trigger. But if you solve the Dragon-Quest with the blood of the Lady of the sea, you can only talk to her, Julian and the Priest don't have this option anymore...

Berengar showed up on Black Tern Island to talk to me, for the first time ever. I don't know if the EE fixed whatever it was that caused his appearance to be intermittent, or if I just lucked out this time, but in case it's the former, I thought I'd mention it.

Top Bottom