[Act IV] Berengar will pay -- if I can figure out how to do it...

+
A note on my intepretation of the story: on Black Tern island it's not a matter of Geralt deciding to execute him or not. - Berengar effectively kills himself.My Geralt just decided to just tell it like it is to Berengar. After treating that brat with kid gloves for the whole chapter and listening to him talk smack to me, I decided to hit him with a blast of the truth; Berengar is wallowing in self pity, using past injuries as an excuse for his perpetual irresponsibility. Sure, it must be a hard life for him, being a reluctant Witcher, but what kind of person then carries on the sham of being a Witcher, accepting contracts with no intention of completing them? It's not everyone else's fault that Berengar lets his own self-loathing poison his interactions with them.That's what my Geralt basically came out and told him. :angel: 'I don't hear any remorse, only self-pity. Get out of my sight.' Berengar then responds by starting a duel to the death, in spite of Geralt warning him not to. Picking the forgiving option is no doubt the lesser evil, but it's not like Geralt can be solely blamed for Berengar turning into a psycho upon hearing some criticism. Geralt tolerates worse jabs than that from Berengar for days!It is sad, reading his letter afterwards. But then how was Geralt to know? :(Anoither v. well written bit of the story IMO.

It's kinda like what's called "suicide by cop," when someone who wants to die pulls a gun on a police officer, not intending to actually shoot it, just wanting the police to kill them.

But in cases like that the suicides don't resist of being shot. Berengar at least duels with Geralt when he rejects his apologies ;)

PetraSilie said:
But in cases like that the suicides don't resist of being shot. Berengar at least duels with Geralt when he rejects his apologies ;)
The flipside is that I don't think Geralt would have kept on hitting Berengar if all he was doing was just standing there ;D

gamewidow said:
It was not getting the sword either. I'm very, very curious now. No need to load an old game (unless you want to), but please, if you could let me know exactly which quests in Act IV you have and have not done (based on the list provided earlier) that would be a great help to me, and possibly, i can figure out what went wrong for you (if anything!)thanks in advance :)
I've come to this thread a bit late, but were you guys still trying to figure out anything with these bits in Act IV? I just completed Act IV last night. I killed Dagon quite a few days ago and it seems mostly unrelated to other parts. Before I killed Dagon I believe I was still "looking for Alina somewhere" in the Heat of Day quest. I think I had completed most other quests by then (Wild Hunt, contracts, etc) Also, perhaps it's related to the Alvin quest also? White Rayla didn't appear till much later after Dagon. Once completing Heat of the Day after talking to Julian about the tragic conclusion of Alina, he mentioned that the Fisher King wanted to speak to me - which seemed to signal final steps of Act IV were beginning. The Fisher King let me guess that I should go to Black Tern island, and I received the sword from the Lady, and then had the cutscene with Berengar as I was about to head back to Lakeside. When I arrived White Rayla was there.I killed Berengar. Whether or not he didn't want to be a Witcher and hated what he had become, he still had a choice. And his choice was to betray the Witchers and help these people who kidnapped children, etc. Maybe next time I'll be more forgiving of his situation..

Scrobes said:
I killed Berengar. Whether or not he didn't want to be a Witcher and hated what he had become, he still had a choice. And his choice was to betray the Witchers and help these people who kidnapped children, etc. Maybe next time I'll be more forgiving of his situation..
One of the Salamanders makes it pretty clear that they torture prisoners to get what they want. Given that, I wouldn't say that Berengar had a choice -- he was captured, then worked over, then did what he had to do. He's got this idea in his mind that Geralt is the good boy and he's the bad boy, so he presents it in a bad light when talking to Geralt, but actually, I think he's just another Salamandra victim.

I remember that during one of the first convos between Geralt and Berengar, the latter one laughs and when Geralt asks him what's so funny, Berengar exclaims (not a precise quote) "You are so witchery - determined, set on your course, full of yourself, convinced you're right", something along this meaning anyway. Note how he's framed Geralt as such and such, an opinion of Geralt that B pretty much finds impossible to escape from and he doesn't like it at all. That would explain better why B came in the end to Geralt confessing him of his dirtiest deeds just so "I can see that famous icy glare of yours" ( while I generally can't remember precise quotes from the cutscenes, this one has cut itself into my mind for some reason, it was too stunning the 2nd time I saw it ). Given the dark setting of the world, it's easy to explain how Geralt catching up to Berengar is hardly a rendez-vous, more like an encounter. On a fun note it also makes more sense why Berengar says nothing if he survives the fight with Javed - it's so unnatural to the setting that hell must have frozen over, good thinking CDP! :D Finally, to confuse you a bit more =), let me quote another memorable cutscene - "Witchers solve human problems, not always by using a sword"....

At least in the patched version, Berengar comes to your rescue in a battle with Salazar towards the end of the game, if you have forgiven him. It came in handy when playing the game at the difficult level.

Kill the SOB. He may not have had a choice on joining the witchers. But that does not give him the excuses to harm innocent people for what happened to him. It was the same as the witches did to him. How does that make him right. No. He deserves to die for the choices he made. He is just a hypocrite who cant stop seeing it as he was wronged and the world must pay for that.

Who made Geralt judge, jury, and hangman? He knows he is none of those things.

"Many that live deserve death, and some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death and judgement, for not even the very wise can see all ends." [Gandalf]

The beauty of this game lies in that this is a serious question, for which no two of us will have the same answer.

Top Bottom