Installing the Enhanced Edition from DVD

+
TTGDarkAngel said:
My problem lies when i try to initially install the game. I get through Disc perfectly fine on the enhanced edition then it asks me to insert the bonus DVD which it refuses to read.
Try this
Just thought I'd share my experiences with my installation problem since I found a workaround to the "Insert Bonus Game Content Disc" problem that may hopefully work for others. It involves creating and mounting images of the original media but works perfectly, though why the original media doesn't work is a mystery to me, since I'd imagine an image would be exactly the same as the original. Anyway, here's what to do.

0. Download and install the freeware tool MagicDisk from http://www.magiciso....sc-overview.htm.
1. Insert your Enhanced Edition install DVD.
2. Launch MagicDisc and select Make CD/DVD Image from the tray icon.
3. Ensure that the drive containing the DVD is selected in the Source CD/DVD-ROM drop-down menu.
4. Choose an appropriate location and name to store an 'image' of this DVD under Output File. For convenience I called mine Witcher1.
5. Click on OK. It'll take quite some time (10-20 minutes) so go and watch TV or something and come back later.
6. Do the same for the Bonus Content Disc, calling it anything you want - Witcher2 sounds good.
7. From the MagicDisc tray icon, go to Options and disable Autoverify (you may leave it on if you wish, but it takes a few minutes to verify and seems pointless - I've had no problems with this disabled - in fact I installed it without verifying).
8. From the MagicDisc tray icon, select Virtual CD/DVD-ROM, then to G: No Media (may not be G: but doesn't matter),. Select this then Mount. Then navigate to Witcher1 and open it.
9. Continue to install as you normally would (or wouldn't, as the case may be), and when the installer asks from the "Bonus Game Content Disc", repeat step 8 and select Witcher2 before continuing with the installation. It actually works!
10. Once the installation is finished, select Virtual CD/DVD-ROM again, click on Witcher2 and Unmount.
11. Insert the original install DVD and play.

Yes, it looks long-winded, but once you're done at least you can play the damn game. I've only tried it on one machine, but if this worked for me I don't see why it can't work for anyone else.

Or you can use your cd-key to claim your backup copy from GOG
http://www.gog.com/witcher/backup

Hi everybody,
first of all sorry for my poor English ...
I have the dvd version of The Witcher Enchanted Edition. After installaion on my Windows 10 pc, I'm experiencing some issue with Launcher:
- impossible to reach the update page, blocked from Chrome as not safe and dangerous page.
- impossible register the game because the log in get an error
witcher error.PNG

Thinking it could be a problem of the dvd version, yesterday I'vo bought tha game from GOG, but the error is still there ...

What I want to know is if the game needs to be updated.

If yes, how can I get the update?

Thanks in advance.

- impossible to reach the update page, blocked from Chrome as not safe and dangerous page.

I think it's the security settings on your PC. Add both the game's installation folder and The Witcher folder that should be somewhere in your Documents directory to the exceptions list for your Firewall and any Anti-Virus you may be using.

Just note that since the game is now a legacy title, it may be necessary to completely disable aggressive anti-virus software to get it to run. Modern security programs that have a "get tough" approach toward executables and .DLL files sometimes just won't be convinced that the data is safe. It's just too old -- the anti-virus simply can't make sense of it.

What I bought is the polish 10th anniversary steelbook edition, is this DVD version need to regist before playing as the old DVD version? I heard the regist key is not working, the only way to play the box edition is use the regist key for a gog edition, since the steelbook edition published in 2017, like ten years after the original game came out. is there any chance this edition have no regist step anymore? is there any physic edition do not need to regist or download?

I don't think so. To get your game running, though, you could try downloading the Enhanced Edition patch, as directed here: https://support.cdprojektred.com/en...nical/issue/582/enhanced-edition-patch-how-to
Thank you for replying. If the DVD comes with 1.5 patch or if I download and install the 1.5 patch before regist the game, does it mean the game don't need the key to regist? Or it just means the DVD is not necessary, you still need to regist by key? Thank you.

Thank you for replying. If the DVD comes with 1.5 patch or if I download and install the 1.5 patch before regist the game, does it mean the game don't need the key to regist? Or it just means the DVD is not necessary, you still need to regist by key? Thank you.

"Registration" for the game is not required to play. That was mostly for use with support or promotional offers back in the day. It's sort of pointless, nowadays, with everything handled mostly via online accounts. The only things you should need to play the DVD copy of the game are the product activation code that's usually printed on the manual or disk case and the disk itself, perhaps. Registering the game on the official website is not required.

"Registration" for the game is not required to play. That was mostly for use with support or promotional offers back in the day. It's sort of pointless, nowadays, with everything handled mostly via online accounts. The only things you should need to play the DVD copy of the game are the product activation code that's usually printed on the manual or disk case and the disk itself, perhaps. Registering the game on the official website is not required.
I didn't know the regist and activation are different here...What I tried to know is if I install the 1.5 Patch before the activiation by key, does this activition key still be necessary to play the game? Heard the 1.5 patch was meant to remove the drm, but only DVD is not necessary was being told... and is the activation a online process or it can be done offline? I can not sure the activation is still functional if it is a online service...thank you

The activation code is simply DRM. The game will likely not install unless that is entered. (Or, it will ask for it the first time you launch the game. Can't remember how that worked, exactly.) You should be perfectly fine installing everything up front.

The 1.5 patch may have done away with the game checking to see if the DVD is in the drive while you're playing. If not, it will simply tell you to insert the DVD. Easy-peasy.

Registration was not for product activation; it was for connection to tech support, letters and mailings from the company, promotions and sales, notifications of new patches and products, etc. (I don't think it actually does anything, anymore, even if you do register.)

Top Bottom