Lifecoach (Open Beta's champion) shares his thoughts about Homecoming

+

Half TL: DW

-Initial impressions of HC are NOT Positive. Does not see himself playing it competitively in the future.
-Really likes CDPR developers, says they are very nice people and very sympathetic, and really wants Gwent to succeed but he just doesnt see it.
-He is still undecided about taking part in Gwent Masters. Said IF he does go he will not go unprepared. Will practice at least 1 month consecutively. If he decides not to go, he will forfeit his spot.
-Feels like many of the old things which he fell in love with in old Gwent are gone and none of the new things in HC have replaced that feeling for him.
-Says the coinflip issue and spy abuse were not as huge of a problem as people made it out to be and that HC has greatly reduced the skillcap and fight for Card Advantage.
-Really enjoyed the spy mechanic, the positioning of spies, that card advantage actually mattered etc.
-Says 10 card limit feels very weird and unintuitive.
-Doesnt like 2 row limit. Feels like gameplay is too confined, less space, less stats, less positioning opportunities. Like playing on a "minature" board.
-Doesnt like Heroes being part of the game board, and "fighting" on the board as well.

I've never heard of this guy, granted I don't watch streamers or care for esports all that much. Sounds like he should find a new game. Funny though, while I probably couldn't even compare to his level of royalty in your eyes, I disagree with pretty much everything he has to complain about.
Spies and coin flip were a problem, many people championed these as issues in need of a fix.
Two rows feels more important than three, I never cared what row I put cards on in the beta but now it matters depending on the cards and positioning; reach is a fun mechanic.
Heroes being part of the board is a fantastic visual touch that is much more interesting than the old boring beta boards.
I think he should forfeit his spot, I think the pro scene for this game is irrelevant, if it needs it to live I'd rather it die.
Gwent HC is tons of fun, I couldn't say if it is super well balanced, never could with beta either but I can tell you I enjoy it a lot more than beta.
But what does my opinion matter in the face of this god of Gwent known as Lifecoach?

Very little, my friend. Very little.
Obviously, I'm no Gwent master like him, keeping the player base intact with a single nod of approval. Whatever shall we do without the mighty Lifecoach by our side? The game shall fold and be forgotten forever. It's not like anyone plays this game because, gasp, they just like the Witcher series? Or perhaps, no, perhaps they like it because it's fun? Nope, only pro players and people looking to climb ranked, that's all the player-base consists of. Arena players don't exist, collectors and lore hounds are simple myths. You're right, this game is going down, might as well jump ship and leave us to drown. We'll not miss you.

I've never heard of this guy, granted I don't watch streamers or care for esports all that much. Sounds like he should find a new game...
Well, than you should know that this is a guy that helped Gwent grow existentially, not only becaouse of his HUGE popularity amongst HS players/viewers, but also by holding tournaments under the banner of CDPR in his house. It was a really big deal when he left the game (with the Mid-Winter Fiasco) and I consider being a huge deal the feedback he's been given now.

This is a guy that EMBRACED Gwent and was doing everything in his powers to promote and help it grow... until that now dreadful December day when the Mid-Winter Fiasco started.

Is there a SuperJJ feedback too? I know both of them are friends and will probably be pretty much the same, but I am interested to see his thoughts too.

... Two rows feels more important than three...
Sorry, but this is absolutely not true. You could have done with 3 rows what you did with two and it would've been IMMENSELY better than it is with two. And I am speaking from the point of view that the rows mechanics and "meaningfulness" are laughable at the moment.

Well, than you should know that this is a guy that helped Gwent grow existentially, not only becaouse of his HUGE popularity amongst HS players/viewers, but also by holding tournaments under the banner of CDPR in his house. It was a really big deal when he left the game (with the Mid-Winter Fiasco) and I consider being a huge deal the feedback he's been given now.

This is a guy that EMBRACED Gwent and was doing everything in his powers to promote and help it grow... until that now dreadful December day when the Mid-Winter Fiasco started.

Is there a SuperJJ feedback too? I know both of them are friends and will probably be pretty much the same, but I am interested to see his thoughts too.

Sorry, but this is absolutely not true. You could have done with 3 rows what you did with two and it would've been IMMENSELY better than it is with two. And I am speaking from the point of view that the rows mechanics and "meaningfulness" are laughable at the moment.
Ah yes, he alone is our savior and king. From no other avenues did players come, only from him. Leave the ship darling, if it sinks you win, you won't be missed either way.

Personally, and I am not a master player, I feel the game is much better now than it has ever been. Played a few hours yesterday, it's much more tactical. Every point you put on the table counts. The power swings are minimal and it's a bliss for a competitive game. Playing a card at the right moment has never felt as meaningful as it is now. I am very optimistic for gwent after returning months later cause the direction they were taking back then was so wrong in my mind. Thanks to CDPR for getting back on track! I will sink hours if not days into this game for sure. And Thronebreaker, man, such a masterpiece!

I always played Gwent for fun, so my perspective is that of complete novice, but I can see all his criticism... in short: They took a game that looked and felt complex, expandible and, well "serious", and reduced it to a gimmick driven casual game. I'm not saying they "dumbed it down", since that's not really it, the complexity is still there, but I can understand why pro players will not like it.

The Heroes of Might and Magic comparison is very apt, actually...

LC is already hard on for Artifact anyway so.

About the game now is way more reactive then it ever was before. Also why not give a game few weeks to establish itself before giving the all mighty opinion.
Furthermore i cannot believe amount of people that just bitch about HC non stop here and on reddit.

Obviously, I'm no Gwent master like him, keeping the player base intact with a single nod of approval. Whatever shall we do without the mighty Lifecoach by our side? The game shall fold and be forgotten forever. It's not like anyone plays this game because, gasp, they just like the Witcher series? Or perhaps, no, perhaps they like it because it's fun? Nope, only pro players and people looking to climb ranked, that's all the player-base consists of. Arena players don't exist, collectors and lore hounds are simple myths. You're right, this game is going down, might as well jump ship and leave us to drown. We'll not miss you.

You've already said that in different words. We get it.

A decent amount of people don't like Homecoming, among those people are some who considered Open Beta version worthwhile to the degree of going pro - while not sharing the same sentiment for the new version. That says something.

You've already said that in different words. We get it.

A decent amount of people don't like Homecoming, among those people are some who considered Open Beta version worthwhile to the degree of going pro - while not sharing the same sentiment for the new version. That says something.
There is a vocal minority here and honestly it's the same people who have been complaining since before midwinter. The moment anything changes they declare it as a failure. HC hasn't been out for more than a couple of days and they think they have it all figured out as a mistake. Arrogant and full of themselves and their own hasty opinion.
Get off the ship.

... Furthermore i cannot believe amount of people that just bitch about HC non stop here and on reddit.
Have you thought that there might be a reason behind it?

And I am glad that Reddit is bitching too. Usually there are people here that say that in Reddit they LOVE HC.

There is a vocal minority here and honestly it's the same people who have been complaining since before midwinter. The moment anything changes they declare it as a failure. HC hasn't been out for more than a couple of days and they think they have it all figured out as a mistake. Arrogant and full of themselves and their own hasty opinion.
Get off the ship.

Comon, wake up, they deleted all mechanics. Incoming does not look like gwent. it's even a lack of respect for people who bought barrels on beta and ends up with such a different game

Have you thought that there might be a reason behind it?

And I am glad that Reddit is bitching too. Usually there are people here that say that in Reddit they LOVE HC.

First of all: LC goes away from the game for long time, does not give HC any actual chance and has very limited time playing/trying HC and gives his opinion. I am not sure how relative it is.

Second of all the Vocal minority here and on Reddit just bitch with no good arguments - gameded/give all gwent back. If you do not like the game you more then welcome to go and wait for that juicy artifact beta key.

I think the most reasonable opinion i heard about HC was from Swim. If people are not willing to give good reasonable arguments, and do not act entitled and get defensive every time someone disagrees then there is no point in talking.

Yes the game is different and if you have no time/patience to give the game a chance you can just leave

Comon, wake up, they deleted all mechanics. Incoming does not look like gwent. it's even a lack of respect for people who bought barrels on beta and ends up with such a different game
Because reach, charge, order, deploy, row requirements, transformations and all of the other card effects and synergies aren't mechanics. Seems like you barely played any HC as well, glad to have another informed chap on the ship.

On second thought, get off.

Get off the ship.
The amount of people who actively post in forums is no valid representation of the actual amount of people who do or do not like the game. Hence your reasoning is flawed. Those who do bother to post, however, are an indication that something is off, and they are to be heard - in spite of your unrelenting love for HC

Yep, That's what's going to happen
Your lack of constructive and informed criticism won't be missed.
Post automatically merged:

Or
The amount of people who actively post in forums is no valid representation of the actual amount of people who do or do not like the game. Hence your reasoning is flawed. Those who do bother to post, however, are an indication that something is off, and they are to be heard - in spite of your unrelenting love for HC
The opposite is just as likely, if not more given the amount of folks that play this just because it is Witcher related and don't even touch the forums. Just because a few people cry wolf doesn't mean the guards should come running.

Because reach, charge, order, deploy, row requirements, transformations and all of the other card effects and synergies aren't mechanics. Seems like you barely played any HC as well, glad to have another informed chap on the ship.

On second thought, get off.
Old Gwent: Play shit you have in appropriate order. It does not matter what your opponent does you both play your own game. Whoever play their order better wins. Oh wait they probably talking about mechanics where the first round your opponent just auto passes. How interactive.

New gwent: way more reactive with bunch of mechanics that are actually choice driven. But i guess people are just stubborn and entitled. Yes arguably some things are out of touch but with the new provision system CDPR has a great setup going into balancing cards.

The real problem is this: the game is way harder then it was before and people who cannot build decks ( which is majority ) are stuck with shitty decks that they just get steamrolled by people who have better understanding of the game. Yes it is not fun but you have to put effort and once you do the game feels super rewarding. The combos, outplay and setup you can pull of in this gwent are very very fun.

Top Bottom