Anyone able to get a decent frame rate in The Trade Quarter?

+
Anyone able to get a decent frame rate in The Trade Quarter?

Hi I was just wondering if anyone is able to get a good frame rate in the trade quarter, and if so what hardware are you running? I have an ancient system that I've done some heavy upgrading too, its a Dell 8250 with a Northwood Pentium 4 @ 3.06 Ghz, 533 Mhz front side bus, 2 GB of RDRAM, and a Radeon x1950 Pro with 256 MB of DDR3 memory.The games runs pretty smoothly for me on medium to high settings everywhere except the trade quarter and Old Vizima. The game lags so badly for me in those places its like watching a slideshow lol. Again if someone can run the game in these areas with a good FPS can you post your system specs? Thanks.

Hey, as far as exact framerate goes, i have no idea, but my sytem ran the game smoothly maxed out at 1680x1050 with 16xAF and 2xAA(except for chapter 5, wich was a bit too choppy so i turned AA off and lowered the lighting settings)while the game did run smoothly, there was of course some stuttering every now and then, but that was usually right before the game crashed, wich it likes to do on an hourly basis :mad:right now im running:core 2 duo e6300@2.45ghz4gig dual channel 800mhz ramgeforce 8800 gts 512mbwhile its not the best system for high end gaming, it does a well enough job, and im sure the game would have run perfectly if i didnt actually have to have everything maxed out :-\

Same problem here but with some difference.I've playin' this beautiful game since the last saturday and all go fine. So yesterday night i've run the game and i've experienced some "slow-motion" every 4-5 second of game for a duration of 10-15 second. And so on.This happen everywhere! o_OThe video driver is up-to-date and same for all the other driver ( i've formatted ad re-installed Win-Xp-SP2 just before to install the game )I've tried to monitor the task manager running T.W. in window mode but seems there isn't any peak of usage of cpu/memory/paging during this slow-game time.Somebody can help?Oh, of course i've installed the last patch of the game! :)My laptop is an Acer Aspire 5720. Vista native, migrated to XP.Edit:
This is the report of nVidia Panel:Resoconto informazioni di sistema NVIDIA creato il: 03/26/2008 10:26:54Nome sistema: SUNSHINE[Schermo]Processore: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7100 @ 1.80GHz (1795 MHz)Sistema operativo: Microsoft Windows XP (Service Pack 2)Versione DirectX: 9.0cProcessore GPU: GeForce 8400M GSVersione ForceWare: 169.21Memoria: 512 MBVersione BIOS video: 60.86.51.00.42IRQ: 16Bus: PCI Express x16[Componenti]nvCplUIR.dll 1.5.30.38 NVIDIA Control PanelnvCpl.cpl 1.5.30.38 NVIDIA Control Panel AppletnvExpBar.dll 1.5.30.38 NVIDIA Control PanelnvCplUI.exe 1.5.30.38 NVIDIA Control PanelnvWSSR.dll 6.14.11.6921 NVIDIA Workstation ServernvWSS.dll 6.14.11.6921 NVIDIA Workstation ServernvViTvSR.dll 6.14.11.6921 NVIDIA Video and TV ServernvViTvS.dll 6.14.11.6921 NVIDIA Video and TV ServernvDispSR.dll 6.14.11.6921 NVIDIA Display ServerNVMCTRAY.DLL 6.14.11.6921 NVIDIA Media Center LibraryNVOGLNT.DLL 6.14.11.6921 NVIDIA Compatible OpenGL ICDnvDispS.dll 6.14.11.6921 NVIDIA Display ServerNVCPL.DLL 6.14.11.6921 NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 169.21 NV4_MINI.SYS 6.14.11.6921 NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Miniport Driver, Version 169.21 NV4_DISP.DLL 6.14.11.6921 NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 169.21 nvMoblSR.dll 6.14.11.6921 NVIDIA Mobile ServernvMoblS.dll 6.14.11.6921 NVIDIA Mobile ServernvGameSR.dll 6.14.11.6921 NVIDIA 3D Settings ServernvGameS.dll 6.14.11.6921 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server

Well, GeForce 8400 GS is not a video card you need for the Witcher, it's just slow (Memory Bandwidth for 8400 is 6.4 GB/sec in comparison to 64 GB/sec for GeForce 8800 GTS... 10 times! and texture fill rate is even more ridiculously different 3.6 billion/sec vs 41.6 billion/sec).

Thanks for the "tech opinion" but you don't have asnwered me.i know the video card isn't the bestimbaproskillorz in fact i play with low graphic detail.i love the "story" of the games, ultra-realistic detail is only a "plus" imho.The problem is that: This "slow motion" happen only last night. All the previous time i've played ( and i've played a lot on last weekend ) the game was fine.Anyway i've tried to play again yesterday and all seems to be fine again. ???

Hello,Game ran smoothly for me too, with the occaisonal choppyness coming in and out of buildings in the Trade quarter. I run at 1900 x 1200 so vid card is 8800 GTX 768MB. Still here are some things to help with Witcher performance- Keep an eye on your save games folder. They pile up and cause the game to act funky & crash. Saves are held in your My Documents folder by default. Clean a bunch of them out or save them off elsewhere. Give your machine a defrag- if your PC memory has to page to the hard disk, having the Witcher files heavily fragmented will hurt performance. The windows Defrag tool blows so I recommend the free one called Defraggler Make sure you don't have a bunch of crap running in the background. You can check the registry if you'd like although this isn't for novices. A simpler way is to use START, RUN, MSCONFIG and take a look at what's load at startup (STARTUP tab). If you really want to tweak for performance (as I do on my gaming PC) then hit www.tweakguides.com and get the guide for your OS.

DoomHammer said:
Hi I was just wondering if anyone is able to get a good frame rate in the trade quarter, and if so what hardware are you running? I have an ancient system that I've done some heavy upgrading too, its a Dell 8250 with a Northwood Pentium 4 @ 3.06 Ghz, 533 Mhz front side bus, 2 GB of RDRAM, and a Radeon x1950 Pro with 256 MB of DDR3 memory.The games runs pretty smoothly for me on medium to high settings everywhere except the trade quarter and Old Vizima. The game lags so badly for me in those places its like watching a slideshow lol. Again if someone can run the game in these areas with a good FPS can you post your system specs? Thanks.
I wouls suggest getting CCleaner and running that it's free and no ad/spyware/viruses in it (at least from official site that'll clear up alot of room (almost 2gb for me when i ran it last) then de frag and clear you autosaves out easy thing to do SAVE YOURSELF and OVERWRITE! a full folder of save is a BAD thing crashes, lag all kinds of bad juju! i get about framerates all the time (except with the battle of 'The Beast' went into the low 50's or so just for a second loading up the effects for so many Barghests I imagine) I am using a AMD Athalon 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition processor OC'ed to 220.8.mhz CPU Clock and CPU Speed limit of 3500mhz., Biostar TA770A2+ AM2+ MoBo, 4GB PQi Ram, MSI Nvidia 8600GT GPU, and 500GB SeaGate 7200rpm sata HDD on Vista Home Premium. also this system - the case cost less than $600 and runs Source games @ MAX at 60+fps and COD4 at max with 60+fps as well Crysis runs at high at about 45 fps or so.P.S. Best. Rpg. Ever!

I've been playing computer games since before you could even buy one for the home, I have always viewed cutting edge configurations as bad value.

I have E8400 and 8800GT, playing at 1152x864 the Trade Quarter was the most "choppy" of all sectors. I noticed people duplicating. I think it is just buggy.

tattooedbones said:
Keep an eye on your save games folder. They pile up and cause the game to act funky & crash. Saves are held in your My Documents folder by default. Clean a bunch of them out or save them off elsewhere.
Thank you very much for this suggestion! I had terrible graphics glitches in the Trade Quarter, and after removing all saves except the last regular one, all glitches were gone, and the game runs much faster. Load and save times are only a fraction of what they were before.I have no idea what save games have to do with graphics glitches, but as it helped, I'm happy :).

I have seen this problem posted a dozen times on this forum, and ultimately the suggestion was "upgrade your video card". That suggestion doesn't make any sense, the game has run perfect up untill the trade quarter. This is obviously within the programming of the game, whether it be lack of video memory purge, or lack of optimization/utilization of video card engine or drivers. Either way, we can only hope patch 1.3 fixes these issues. If not, then the "better version" of Witcher is our last chance. After that...well....thats 50 dolors lost.

The particular issue with the Trade Quarter is the scope of the area itself, the amount of NPCs, and the amount of scripts being run at the same time. In comparison of the Trade Quarter versus all over acts, it's almost 3 to 1 in some areas. The city is much larger and has many more polygons than others, it has many more NPCs following their daily schedules, and has many gaming scripts at the same time. The Aurora engine loads every single thing in an area, and thus the horrible frames. Your only real recourse is lowering the graphic performance in that act, and I have heard the particle effects in Act 5 and the Epilogue cause the same problem. It's a side effect of using an older game engine and significantly upgrading the rendering engine to match the graphics of today's games.Good news is that the Enhanced Edition should be fixing a lot of these problems from my understanding. Remember, though, that Patch 1.3 is not necessarily all the fixes in Enhanced Edition. It's more for making the Djinni toolset compatible (i.e. probably adding a menu option since the game is currently built for single player). Most of the features, like 80% reduction in load time, are enhanced edition exclusives which will more than likely be a patch launched in May. But CDPR would have to confirm that as this is hearsay and my own intuition from reading the posts and PDF file. :)That being said, please read through this post -> http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=6990.0

That looks like the choice for camera. OTS or Isometric. Probably an error in the installation causing the images not to show properly.

Top Bottom