Interviews and Articles on TW3

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Marcin Iwinski said:
I want to demystify one thing, because a lot of people out there - including us, back in the day - are thinking, 'We'll take the publisher, co-publisher, agency' - the magical solution guys. It's bullshit. There's nothing like that, and you'll be very disappointed in nine out of ten cases. we were.

Iwinski just became number 1 on my list just by saying that. This man is so honest and driven by passion, I have the biggest respect for him.

The talk about how forgiving the PC crowd is regarding a clunky interface and unresponsive controls aside, it was a nice interview.

Clearly you aren't thinking of the same console crowd I am cause compared to that PC crowd fares wayy better.

It's not entirely untrue. I for one looked the other way on many games' controls and interface problems if the other aspects delivered. (*cough* TW2 console interface *cough*)

I did like this part though:

"We're well off financially," he says. "We don't need to do it for the money. Money, in business, is a barometer of whether you're doing things right or wrong. If you lose money 20 years in a row you're a charity, and that's a different thing. But we don't have to hit this revenue in that quarter or we'll die. The original founders are the controlling stakeholders. We have obligations to our investors that we treat very seriously, but I can always justify my decision.
"That's how I want to make games. I don't want to ship games because I have to or I'll go out of business. That's a bad recipe. Everyone has different goals, but this is just about us."

And I do hope he means it.

As for the PC crowd thing, I don't like the idea of a dev thinking this way, is all I'm saying.

Great read. I love reading/listening/watching Iwinski's talks. He may not really be a core of the Development team anymore (At least I think so?), but he loves the games & he loves the studio he's (co)created & you really can feel the passion in his words.

Also regarding PC Crowd being more forgiving, I don't think that he's saying they simply "Don't Care" or that it is acceptable to release clunky KB/M controls / UI, but more-so that if you do happen to mess it up, the PC Crowd is less likely to completely jump down your throat for it.
I for one am still not sure how TW2's Inventory got past Testing (Maybe everyone was playing it with a 360 controller?), but I doubt they intentionally fucked it up hard. That is evident from listening to the Community's feedback & promising us a Grid UI again with TW3.

If you ask anyone about KOTOR2 or VTM:B, they'll tell you to get "Insert mods here" before even considering playing & it does a ridiculously good job at fixing the issues. Whereas if something like The Last of Us had a fuck horrible UI or Controls, people would probably be warding others off it simply for that alone. The PC Crowd are just as prone to disliking bad Controls & shitty UI's, but I think more often then not we tend to go, "It'll get mods" & not end up being massively critical of it. I for one wasn't too keen on the Inventory & some UI elements of TW2 on launch, but it wasn't broken, so I wasn't kicking my screen in every time I had to sell stuff or equip a new item & I truly did think to myself, "Perhaps someone will mod a better one later".

Still, he probably shouldn't have said that because if I'm wrong here, I definitely do agree it's a bad thing to say.

Iwiński talked about it a bit last year as well (pc players being more forgiving) What he meant was when pc player encounters a problem he will look for a way to resolve it, ignore it, or battle through it, he won't give up playing just because something isn't working great. Pc players got used to that.. Consoles players tend to give up playing if game does not work 100 % correctly or something is clunky etc.. Thats generalization but i think its true to a certain degree.

I suspect that Iwinski is referencing his own personal preferences and perhaps those of his friends. Or at least, what he used to play vs how things are now.

There used to be a pretty sizeable stream of games with bad controls/UI. What many of them had in common was that they were western. Granted we're talking about pretty old games here. But still i think eastern games improved on the matters of user input much quicker. And i can't belive that this is merely a coincidence.

My best guess is that Marcin sees it in a similar way, he knows the phenomenon existed, just doesn't know exactly why. Sometimes he mentions PC gamers being more forgiving. Other times he mentions western gamers being more forgiving.

I simply think it's a matter of evolusion. back then markets were more closed and as a result, games were developed with the local market in mind. Nowadays i can just buy a US game and a Japanese game and marvel at the diferences, but i will find plenty similarities as well. It's the same industry. Just different customers. Back then even subtle things could evolve in different ways. Were the US market may have seen games with clunky controls as old and "last gen", the eastern market might have focused on something else entirely. If only because a different genre of games was at the 'top' at that time. That's just a theory though.

I will let out a secret now, I am actually Marcin Iwinski.

nice interview/article - it kind of touched on the ideas Iwiński talked about in one of his talks presenting the story behind how they managed to stay independent and how the whole contract with Namco Bandai and THQ worked out. @sidspyker if you really are Marcin Iwiński I want to say thanks for giving this talk, it was informative to listen through it. If one takes time (or just has too much free time :) ) to research such interesting company then he can know all those details, like for example at their last financial reporting conference they hinted that at E3 they're gonna "supposedly" announce expansion of gog to modern games.

There's a little bit of Marcin Iwinski in all of us.

Oh relax kids, I've got a gut feeling Marcin Iwinski's around here somewhere hahahahaha, after all isn't there a little Marcin Iwinski in all of us? hahahaha... hahaha, in fact, you might even say we just ate Marcin Iwinski, and he's in our stomachs... right now! AHAHAHAHAHAHA!... Wait, scratch that one.View attachment 3329

Attachments

• 359.jpg
    359.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 35
About the PC statement. What he means to say is, console gamers are less forgiving jerks like me and want the best of the best.
So while they were working on high quality polish for the console kits hand in hand with the PC, it in turn has made the PC game even better than it could have been thanks to the almost unrealistic high standards of asshole console gamers like me. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom