Predicted witcher 3 system specs? Can I run it .

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
@idub7 what you say is all true, the new line of GPU's will arrive in 2015 most likely (not any time soon anyway) and even then the first series might be 28nm and thus not a huge increase. The 780 is not a bad card at all and will make for a great system but there is no way to know if games like TW3 or Batman will be maxed by it. You could wait until june, rumours say that Nvidia might announce their future plans at Computex but again, all rumours.

If Nvidia does release the 8xx series in 28nm, then I am hoping and expecting it to launch in 2014. My guess is a 2014 Q3/Q4 rollout of 8xx then a 2015 Q1/Q2 rollout of the 20nm cards. I really don't want to have to wait till 2015 for a new series of cards.

I guess I could still get about 300€ for a used non reference 780 in early 2015. So when I sell it, it wouldnt be a problem I guess.

If Nvidia does release the 8xx series in 28nm, then I am hoping and expecting it to launch in 2014. My guess is a 2014 Q3/Q4 rollout of 8xx then a 2015 Q1/Q2 rollout of the 20nm cards. I really don't want to have to wait till 2015 for a new series of cards.

If anything new comes out this year then it will probably be in Q4, unless we hear different at Computex which starts on the third of June if I remember correctly.

If anything new comes out this year then it will probably be in Q4, unless we hear different at Computex which starts on the third of June if I remember correctly.

3-7 June. So next week. Ill wait till then. If they dont announce or hint a 2014 release, I have to thinl about getting the parts though.

sorry if this has been covered already. But it looks like even Watch_Dogs already needs more than 3GB Vram to max out the game at 1080p:

I was planning on getting a 780 already. But since people with 3GB VRam are already experiencing stuttering when trying to max out the game because of too few VRam, Im worried that Ill run into trouble early next year with TW3 and The Division...
Should I still go for a the 780?
If you must have a 4GB card now, the GTX 670 and 770 will not suck money out of your pocket that you could use for a 20nm Maxwell later. There are even GTX 760 and R9 270X models with 4GB. Those cards are all in the $250-400 range. If you can find a 6GB GTX 780 at all, it will cost $600 or more. The GTX's are all the same GK104 GPU, except for the 780, and that's a fully built-out GK110.

(I'd make more AMD recommendations, but right now I'm furious about them releasing the system-bricking 14.4 driver and bundling Raptr Gaming Evolved with their drivers. Company-ending move, if they keep pulling no-brainers like that.)

In CPUs and motherboards, 501105's advice is right on. There is too much new product coming from Intel to buy now, unless you need it now. If you must, get a motherboard with a Z97 chipset. That's the only one that will have both high performance and forward compatibility with Haswell-refresh and Broadwell CPUs.

Last edited:
@Guy N'wah Did AMD really release a system bricking driver? If so, wow, now that is horrible PR.

The original 14.4 driver included an AHCI driver update for AMD chipsets. It was broken, and it bricked every system it was installed on that had an AMD chipset and SATA drives in AHCI mode. As in "hangs forever during Windows startup".

That's what having an install DVD on hand and knowing how to use it to get to System Restore is for :)

AMD has since replaced the 14.4 driver on their download site with a package that does not include the AHCI driver. Other than the now-eradicated problem, and the malicious "offer" to install Raptr Gaming Evolved, there's nothing wrong with the current driver. But bad support leaves long memories.

Last edited:
Ugh, that is pretty bad. If that had happened to me then I would have jumped shipped to Nvidia right away.
Not saying that Nvdia does not make stupid mistakes btw.

Ugh, that is pretty bad. If that had happened to me then I would have jumped shipped to Nvidia right away.
Not saying that Nvdia does not make stupid mistakes btw.

You're right about that; it wasn't too long ago that nVidia programmed an overvoltage to "fix" some problems in DirectX 11 and burned out some overclocked cards (even factory overclock models were vulnerable). All told, that was much more damaging: only a few customers affected, but those who were, were out hundreds of dollars or the time to pursue a warranty claim instead of the time to do a system restore.

There's no reason to reject AMD for one egregious blunder that they fixed promptly. But it sure is maddening.

Last edited:
At first I never worry about this thing
and I tested my laptop with Watch Dogs and I have to set EVERYTHING to minimum to run smoothly
dear god please let me play TW3 at least in normal setting

intel(R) core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz
8GB RAM, Win7-64 bit
GTX 660M 2GB

Last edited:
I have Riva TNT 2 32MB VRAM, Intel Celeron 566MHz and 64MB DIMM RAM. Will I be able to run it? What settings, how many fps?

If you downgrade to a 3dfx card of the Voodoo series you can lower your FPS,
so maybe you should look into that.

Alternatively you can use the program FPSLimiter to set frames per second to 1,
to emulate the so-called slideshow mode, an effect that many people strive to achieve.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ZoraZ, we can only guess, but i'm afraid that will be about as much as is needed for minimum settings. Watch Dogs has very bad optimization for Ultra settings, plus many report stuttering issues with it. However at lower settings it works suprisingly well. So if you are having trouble with it, it's probably your GPU or drivers. And Witcher 3 is shaping up to be equally or more demanding, so hoping for good performance at normal settings may be hoping to much.

Since we're on the topic of Watch Dogs...

I have a HD7870, wich as i understand, is not much better than the GPU in PS4, yet i'm able to get 40 - 60 fps at 1080p using SMAA for Anti-Aliasing. Curiously setting MSAA causes my computer to BSOD. no joke

@Yellowcardus , It' not that bad at minimum setting, I got around 60 FPS
but if I set to normal I got around 40 FPS which is acceptable (not so smooth, I don't like it); but the real probelm is mouse lag
I turned off VSync and mouse acceleration but it's still the same
I'm not sure if my laptop just can't handle it or the game control optimize is bad :/

@Yellowcardus , It' not that bad at minimum setting, I got around 60 FPS
but if I set to normal I got around 40 FPS which is acceptable (not so smooth, I don't like it); but the real probelm is mouse lag
I turned off VSync and mouse acceleration but it's still the same
I'm not sure if my laptop just can't handle it or the game control optimize is bad :/
Don't expect The Witcher 3 to run well on a laptop with those specifications. This game Is probably going to be as/or more demanding than Watch Dogs is. Just look at the trailers! I'm not sayng that you can not be able to play the game, just saying that the experience may not be the best, even at minimun settings.

Now I may seem pesimistic but i only see it as good that they try to make it as beatiful as possible. My computer isn't powerful enough anyway, but i will upgrade it.

Last edited:
Well, Computex has been a bit of a disappointment thus far when it comes to new cpu's and gpu's.
So it seems like there is nothing to really upgrade to anytime soon.

The game won't launch before seven months or so, until then there will be new graphic cards and as said before, what marketing call "next gen games" like watch dogs already need high end hardware to run. If you don't need to upgrade now, those who have a small computer should save up money in order to buy new hardware only for the witcher 3. I've got a gtx 680 which ran all games ultra at 1080p but watch dogs don't, and I'm gonna put money aside so I could buy a new gpu for the witcher.

The game won't launch before seven months or so, until then there will be new graphic cards and as said before, what marketing call "next gen games" like watch dogs already need high end hardware to run. If you don't need to upgrade now, those who have a small computer should save up money in order to buy new hardware only for the witcher 3. I've got a gtx 680 which ran all games ultra at 1080p but watch dogs don't, and I'm gonna put money aside so I could buy a new gpu for the witcher.

Ageed but there have been several users who want/need to upgrade now, even one who was specifically waiting if Computex would offer any announcements about a new gpu serie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom