Dark Souls

+
Dark Souls

So uhh anyone here play Dark Souls?

Anyone wanna post their characters? or talk about the lore? or just discuss the awesome game design?

I'll start, this guy is my main invasion dude

He scares the shit out of new players because most of them don't know about the egg infection and even I didn't know this egg attack existed. It's fun seeing people be afraid of the unknown and they die a lot because of it. When I run into veterans however they gank my ass since I'm always naked.

My other main character is in the thumbnail don't know how to take the picture out lol.

also there's a bunch of cut dialog all over youtube that I just found recently fun stuff

I bought it on steam when it came out but refuse to play it using keybaord and mouse. Its just like night an day when it comes to controls. I guess I have to get myself used ps3 controller for it.

I need to restart my playthrough. I was doing terribly because I had it on 360 but I don't have XBOX Live, so all of the online features were disabled, and they're a *huge* part of this game. Maybe I can get the PC version when it's on sale.

I need to restart my playthrough. I was doing terribly because I had it on 360 but I don't have XBOX Live, so all of the online features were disabled, and they're a *huge* part of this game. Maybe I can get the PC version when it's on sale.

yeah it is a huge part. That doesn't mean you can't play the game and get a good feel for it right now though. Get familiar with the controls and all that, once you get used to it, It'll be a breeze to play again. You'd clear 5 hour part of your first playthrough in 30 min if you have the proper knowledge.

I bought it on steam when it came out but refuse to play it using keybaord and mouse. Its just like night an day when it comes to controls. I guess I have to get myself used ps3 controller for it.

Try WASD and IJKL for looking around. I actually prefer playing only keyboard.

I think they (modders) fixed KB+M a bit, but it's been a long time since I last played on PC so I'm not sure. Still best to get a controller, though.

What do you guys expect from DkS 2? I was somewhat wary when the first bits of info came out after the trailer, with Miyazaki "moving on" from the project and people everywhere shouting about it going casual, but the later interviews sound pretty good. My most anticipated game, just above CP2077 and TW3.
AND we get another Miyazaki game, so that's even better.

One thing I'm wary about when it comes to Dark Souls II is how the new director has said in interviews that he prefers a more "more straightforward and more understandable" approach. I'm really hoping it won't get the Skyrim treatment. I really enjoyed how the story was vague and to get anything close to an entire picture, you have to really pay attention, read item descriptions, exhaust character dialogue, etc. I really like that, it's something not a whole lot of games do (and do right). They really nailed the ambiguity with Dark Souls.

I want better item balancing. From what I've seen in PvP, you get a wolf ring and some light armor for fastrolling and you're set. Fatrolling is essentially a death sentence and the armor doesn't really seem to make up for it. I think they learned a lot with Dark Souls, so I don't think I'm too worried about it.

I also want the ability to dye my armor. Armored Core 5 had a ridiculous amount of color customization and I want to see that amount of depth in Dark Souls II so I can mix and match armor pieces I like without looking like a clown. Talkin' bout them aesthetics.

I am not so impressed with Dark Souls like perhaps some of you guys. I played Demon Souls for a long time (almost got platinum trophy)
And after playing Dark Souls for a short period of time I didn't see much changes in game mechanics or enemy behavior/AI. They better change or add a lot of things in next game to make me interested, if they don't I wont buy it.

One thing I'm wary about when it comes to Dark Souls II is how the new director has said in interviews that he prefers a more "more straightforward and more understandable" approach. I'm really hoping it won't get the Skyrim treatment. I really enjoyed how the story was vague and to get anything close to an entire picture, you have to really pay attention, read item descriptions, exhaust character dialogue, etc. I really like that, it's something not a whole lot of games do (and do right). They really nailed the ambiguity with Dark Souls.
The story wasn't anything special, but the lore was truly amazing and something I hope other games learn from (they wont). Trying to tie the various small bits of info you get from items and wildly speculating about the 6th Archstone/Pendant/etc with the community is one of my favourite gaming experiences this gen.

As for the that quote you mention, I think that was just Edge trying to bait some hits. In the interview they did with 4gamer, they seem like they really understand what makes the Souls games special and they aren't setting out to change everything.

I am not so impressed with Dark Souls like perhaps some of you guys. I played Demon Souls for a long time (almost got platinum trophy)
And after playing Dark Souls for a short period of time I didn't see much changes in game mechanics or enemy behavior/AI. They better change or add a lot of things in next game to make me interested, if they don't I wont buy it.

How much of the game(Dark Souls) have you played?

The story wasn't anything special, but the lore was truly amazing

I'd have to disagree with you there, The story is really good if you look at how the DLC adds to it.

To me, the theme was 'Fighting evil is an eternal struggle,hopelessness turns good people into deceivers'

If you look at the DLC and how the Humanity corrupted Manus and how Oolacile residents became fucked up by the Abyss. I think it's safe to say the Abyss is Evil while the Fire is good but it will soon fade and only Dark will remain.

I thought everyone takes that too literally 'There's no hope' the game tells you.

but if you observe the Humanity Sprites grow and multiply in the Abyss. Then there's an infinite source of things to burn which is called the DARK SOUL!

The whole point of the game I think, is to understand the nature of the Dark Soul
-It's only useful with Fire which turns you Human
-It will corrupt you in the Abyss like it did Manus
-Unlike the other Lord Souls it doesn't burn out and becomes stronger in the Abyss/Darkness

So there's this kind of coexistence that has to go on between the Fire and Dark.

It just looks bad on the character creation screen. It's not so bad in game.

I think it's a slightly modified Dragon Scholar face.

I haven't played much only 2 hours, combat reminds of of Demon Souls to much, they didn't change much. I have to finish it tho I have ordered the PS3 controller few days ago, guess I have to now.

Why change something that isn't broken?

They say it's more difficult but more fair than Demon's Souls. The fights in Demon's Souls are rather gimmicky with bosses having weaknesses and only a few ways to really beat them, in Dark Souls it's less gimmicky. Exploration is improved with you being able to jump.

Top Bottom