This might be a good idea...

+
This might be a good idea...

A good idea would be taking what Bioware did with Mass Effect for PS3 users. The downloadble comic that has the major choices of Mass Effect 1 and 2, these are then passed onto Mass Effect 3. CDPR should do this with TW3 for PS4 users(comic for TW1 and TW2) and Xbox One users(comic for TW1). IMO this seems like a great idea for users who did not get the chance to play the first Witcher games. This could also help newcomers enjoy the story while making choices from past games. I know you guys would probably say that you cannot put all the huge things in the TW1 and TW2 in just downloadable comics, you can try and also, I'm not really hoping for CDPR to listen but if they do could you at least give it a thought. You guys can share your thoughts on this if you want.

I hope there will be something like this for ps4 and X1 versions of TW3. I do not want to start with some arbitrary default beginning state given that I have very strong preferences concerning TW2 playthrough.

Maybe they could do some big decisions via dialogue in intro, like what king died, what side did you choose etc. These things should definitely matter in TW3 since there is a war going on.
But ofc you cant put a lot of choices in there, it would be messy for new comers.

Red0oG said:
Maybe they could do some big decisions via dialogue in intro, like what king died, what side did you choose etc. These things should definitely matter in TW3 since there is a war going on.
But ofc you cant put a lot of choices in there, it would be messy for new comers.

If I remember correctly, in ME comic wasn't mandatory. Who did not have any preferences could have started with some default beginning. I would like to have the same with TW3. New people can start playing right away if they choose so, but those of us who want their choice in TW1-2 to have impact, should have an option to adjust the beginning state. Comic is a good way. I would agree even on a simple check-list. I wouldn't want only three beginning to choose from as it was in DA2, but even this will be better than nothing.

vivaxardas said:
If I remember correctly, in ME comic wasn't mandatory. Who did not have any preferences could have started with some default beginning. I would like to have the same with TW3. New people can start playing right away if they choose so, but those of us who want their choice in TW1-2 to have impact, should have an option to adjust the beginning state. Comic is a good way. I would agree even on a simple check-list. I wouldn't want only three beginning to choose from as it was in DA2, but even this will be better than nothing.
This was exactly my point! Glad to see people agree with me.

That's not a bad idea OP. although i think an easier way to solve it is if CDPR did something akin to KOTOR 2. basically in the beginning of the game Geralt could have a conversation at a bar with a character he knows (maybe his bard friend dandelion or some of the dwarfs) and they discuss what has happened until now. maybe he tells his whole tale from the first 2 games. and the player can choose the responses.

arkblazer said:
That's not a bad idea OP. although i think an easier way to solve it is if CDPR did something akin to KOTOR 2. basically in the beginning of the game Geralt could have a conversation at a bar with a character he knows (maybe his bard friend dandelion or some of the dwarfs) and they discuss what has happened until now. maybe he tells his whole tale from the first 2 games. and the player can choose the responses.
Not bad. I had this idea for some time but due to profile problems I couldn't express it.

GriffinWitcher said:
A good idea would be taking what Bioware did with Mass Effect for PS3 users. The downloadble comic that has the major choices of Mass Effect 1 and 2, these are then passed onto Mass Effect 3. CDPR should do this with TW3 for PS4 users(comic for TW1 and TW2) and Xbox One users(comic for TW1). IMO this seems like a great idea for users who did not get the chance to play the first Witcher games. This could also help newcomers enjoy the story while making choices from past games. I know you guys would probably say that you cannot put all the huge things in the TW1 and TW2 in just downloadable comics, you can try and also, I'm not really hoping for CDPR to listen but if they do could you at least give it a thought. You guys can share your thoughts on this if you want.

I didn't even know about this. Sure, it's a fine idea. I'd be ok with the stuff the others have posted too.

arkblazer said:

This I like.

This subject is something that worries me a lot. CDPR has become my number one developer in recent years and they are the only ones that I fully trust, but there still is something about the Witcher 3 getting released on consoles specially PS4 that is unsettling for me. I've heard CDPR saying that the players don't need to play the other Witchers to be able to play the Witcher 3 and they will feel at home and enjoy the game as those players that have played the other two games. There is something fundamentally wrong with this statement. This implies that the story from Witcher 1&2 and the choices that players, who played the other two games, made will not matter. Please keep reading before judging my statements and thinking that I am bashing CDPR.
I think the same thing happened when Witcher 2 was released on Xbox 360. I felt that none of my choices in Witcher 1 mattered and they really did not make a difference in how things played out in Witcher 2. For example you wake up next to Triss even if you've picked Shani in Witcher 1. The only advantage that someone that had played the Witcher 1 had over those who hadn't played the game and hadn't imported their saves was some references in the dialogues to the choices made in the first game. I think this happened because CDPR approached the Witcher 2 the same way they are approaching the Witcher 3, which is we will make a game that the newcomers will enjoy as much as the players that have played the prequels. This approach does not make any sense specially when it comes to an RPG that relies heavily on story and decision making.
I'm not saying that they shouldn't release the game on consoles or that they should make a game that the console players are not going to enjoy. I'm suggesting that they should do justice to their loyal fans who have played the other two games by not overlooking the decisions they've made like they did in Witcher 2. Instead they should work on something that would introduce the new comers to the story of both Witcher 1&2 and even give them the chance to make decisions on how the story of Witcher 1&2 plays out. An example would be Mass Effect 2, where Miranda asks you what happened in Mass Effect 1 which basically gives the new comers the opportunity to make the decisions and kind of introduces them to the story of Mass Effect 1.

Shawnkh said:
This subject is something that worries me a lot. CDPR has become my number one developer in recent years and they are the only ones that I fully trust, but there still is something about the Witcher 3 getting released on consoles specially PS4 that is unsettling for me. I've heard CDPR saying that the players don't need to play the other Witchers to be able to play the Witcher 3 and they will feel at home and enjoy the game as those players that have played the other two games. There is something fundamentally wrong with this statement. This implies that the story from Witcher 1&2 and the choices that players, who played the other two games, made will not matter. Please keep reading before judging my statements and thinking that I am bashing CDPR.
I think the same thing happened when Witcher 2 was released on Xbox 360. I felt that none of my choices in Witcher 1 mattered and they really did not make a difference in how things played out in Witcher 2. For example you wake up next to Triss even if you've picked Shani in Witcher 1. The only advantage that someone that had played the Witcher 1 had over those who hadn't played the game and hadn't imported their saves was some references in the dialogues to the choices made in the first game. I think this happened because CDPR approached the Witcher 2 the same way they are approaching the Witcher 3, which is we will make a game that the newcomers will enjoy as much as the players that have played the prequels. This approach does not make any sense specially when it comes to an RPG that relies heavily on story and decision making.
I'm not saying that they shouldn't release the game on consoles or that they should make a game that the console players are not going to enjoy. I'm suggesting that they should do justice to their loyal fans who have played the other two games by not overlooking the decisions they've made like they did in Witcher 2. Instead they should work on something that would introduce the new comers to the story of both Witcher 1&2 and even give them the chance to make decisions on how the story of Witcher 1&2 plays out. An example would be Mass Effect 2, where Miranda asks you what happened in Mass Effect 1 which basically gives the new comers the opportunity to make the decisions and kind of introduces them to the story of Mass Effect 1.

I agree, this is the only gripe I had with Witcher 2, and I hope to the GAMING GODS that our choices will really matter in W3, seeing as there is a
Third Ploughing World War going on with the Black Ones.

I trust in CDPR making an awesome Witcher 3, but I really hope our choices will matter this time, hell ... If they change the outcome of the
War
in some regions of the Northern Kingdoms, I will be happy :p/>/>/>

Shawnkh said:
(...)This implies that the story from Witcher 1&2 and the choices that players, who played the other two games, made will not matter.
And that we have to accept and live with, I guess. The game can still be amazing. That was indeed the case with TW2 as well, oh well...

Mohasz said:
And that we have to accept and live with, I guess. The game can still be amazing. That was indeed the case with TW2 as well, oh well...

Still a downside to the awesomeness that is the Witcher games, I really hope that they will fix this in the "Last" installment of the Witcher games.

Hell ... Even if they don't, I will still enjoy Witcher 3, all I am saying is make my damn choices from Witcher 2 matter :p

Still, can't wait for Witcher 3 :)

That's how it will always be. Especially since there are some people who would play the third installment in a series and expect it to make sense(I really don't get this) and since CDPR want new customers they are going to make it accessible to everyone which means diminishing anything that happened in the old games and basically create a new game just with similar characters and setting.

Mass effect and Dragon age didn't do this except to have a few dialogue options or a cameo(Alistair talking to you) and I don't expect it to be any different in the Witcher 3 and as much as it sucks its something that am used to by now.

kevokoma said:
That's how it will always be. Especially since there are some people who would play the third installment in a series and expect it to make sense(I really don't get this) and since CDPR want new customers they are going to make it accessible to everyone which means diminishing anything that happened in the old games and basically create a new game just with similar characters and setting.

Mass effect and Dragon age didn't do this except to have a few dialogue options or a cameo(Alistair talking to you) and I don't expect it to be any different in the Witcher 3 and as much as it sucks its something that am used to by now.

Such people who play the last installment of a series and want it to make sense always make me cringe ...

But still ... The Witcher series has been on PC mostly, so I understand that, lol.

I really hope at least our choices will have an effect on the
War
that is all I want :p/>

KingHochmeister said:
Such people who play the last installment of a series and want it to make sense always make me cringe ...

But still ... The Witcher series has been on PC mostly, so I understand that, lol.

I really hope at least our choices will have an effect on the
War
that is all I want :p/>/>

I don't want CDPR to do anything that upsets the current fanbase, but I also want it to be a successful game, and that means that they need to find a way to resolve this, and make sure it DOES make sense.

Top Bottom