Triss Merigold (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember them ? always comment whenever we enter Triss's Apartment in Novigrad

People should look at the situation like this. Forget for the moment that romance in The Witcher 3 is a piece of writing and think of it as a game mechanic. In those terms there's a balance issue that needs fixing. No different than if it was in the combat.
How is that? If it's only game mechanic it's pretty fair. You have a choice to romance Triss, Yennefer or both. What wrong with such mechanic?

I'd like to know what Triss fans think about my suggestions for dialogue improvements between Yennefer and Geralt in Vizima, at the end of the prologue.

--> http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threa...=1#post1829200

Copied over the Triss-related section here. The Ciri suggestions early in the post seem fine, but don't make a big difference in my opinion.

Yen: "In two places - Velen and Novigrad. The trail in Velen is most promising. You should make that first stop. Ask for a merchant named Hendrik at the Inn of the Crossroads. One of the emperor's agents, he should get in touch with you."

Geralt: "That's it? No passwords, no secret handshakes?"

Yen: "None. Sorry to spoil your fun, your boyhood fantasies about the crafts of the trade. - All we have in Novigrad are unconfirmed reports, rumors. But there you will have the help of our...[pause]... there will perhaps be somebody who might agree to help us, our [really ironic] mutual acquantaince. - Triss Merigold. Apparently she's got a cozy flat on the main square. But I'm pretty sure you already know that.."

(At this occasion I'd bring up the amnesia issue and the respective dialogue between Geralt and Yen. It's one of the core consequences of TW2 that should be treated properly by giving it central space early on. Not only because it's something that is of great importance to Geralt himself (and this is supposed to be "Geralt's personal story") but because there is missing context for people who don't know the books or even the previous games that needs proper explanation. The game tackles that later during this dialogue with a short optional choice dialogue but that's imo two little context, especially since the game gives you no chance to express your feelings for Triss - if you have some - early on - which is a core and valid criticism of many Triss fans, especially since CDPR decided that Geralt and Triss had to split up at the beginning of TW3 no matter what. That's completely consistent with the plot but that doesn't mean that by giving the player a small choice here wouldn't improve the situation for everyone, giving back agency. So I suggest a choice here that can't be avoided. It should cover everyone who is is attracted to Yennefer (like bookf fans), everyone who is attracted to Triss (like fans of TW2, who want to continue their romance with Triss in a consistent, properly explained way) and everyone who has no preference at all (like perhaps complete newcomers). It's not like this choice is absolutely necessary to bring the plot forward, not at all. But it's a great opportunity to give the players agency and the feeling that their choices and their preferences in the games are properly acknowledged and respected. It's a typcial "Mass Effect" choice situation with no long term differing consequences (only short term like the kiss). It more of a "feeling" choice, for the pure sake of the moment - and to further explore one's one path in the game. At the same time I cut the kiss with Yen in all situations in which you don't clearly stand to her so early on. Everybody can of course still decide for Triss or Yen later on - or both or none of them with the respective consequences)

Geralt: "I'm sure she will be delighted to see me. What about you? What will you do?"

Yen: "I shall sail for Skellige. There was a magic explosion recently, blew half of the forest down. I believe this had something to do with Ciri. I'll be in Kaer Trolde. Join me there once you've learnt something."

Geralt: "Yen...I'd lost my memory...I know you're hurt but...about Triss...she helped me to find the kingslayer and she helped me to finally regain my memory."

Yen: "So that's your excuse? I've heard you and Triss made a great couple."

(choice A -> It was failure and I'm sorry about it.)
Geralt: "If I hadn't lost my memory nothing would have ever happened. As soon as I've recovered by memory I left Triss and tried to find you...you know what I feel for you."

Yen: [calm] "Do you? That you'd forget about me that quickly...maybe it was that genie alone, after all..."

Geralt: "Yen...I..."

[Yennefer kisses him.]

Yen: "I know, Geralt. But we don't have time for that now. I'll sail to Skellige. There was a magic explosion recently, blew half of the forest down. I believe this had something to do with Ciri. I'll be in Kaer Trolde. Join me there once you've learnt something. I will wait for you there."
(choice A path ends)

(choice B -> I still have feelings for Triss.)
Geralt: "When Triss helped me we came closer, really close to be honest...it's complicated...Once I found out about you...and Ciri...I had to split up with Triss, thinking it all over. But now I feel bad about it..."

Yen: [really angry] "Oh, you feel bad. How do you think I felt when I heard about you two? I should turn you into a frog or something..."

Geralt: "I didn't...want to hurt you, Yen. It's just that I have feelings for both of you."

Yen [sad, calmed down]: [pause] "You once told me that I had to decide between you...and Istredd. You remember? And I did. Now I expect the same from you. [pause] I'll sail to Skellige. There was a magic explosion recently, blew half of the forest down. I believe this had something to do with Ciri. I'll be in Kaer Trolde. Join me there once you've learnt something. And I expect you've made your decision up until then."
(choice B path ends)

(choice C -> ...silence...)
Geralt: "..."

Yen: [angry] "So you don't have to say anything at all about that? [pause, calmed down] Ah, let's drop it, all right? "It's not what you think" or "it helped me understand how much I love you". I don't wish to hear it, any of it, anyway. [pause] I'll sail to Skellige. There was a magic explosion recently, blew half of the forest down. I believe this had something to do with Ciri. I'll be in Kaer Trolde. Join me there once you've learnt something"
(choice C path ends)

(linear plot continues with mandatory choice -> Time to get going)
-->(optional choice "Before we part..." is completely cut but almost all of its parts are implemented in the choice situation above)

I like the idea that Witcher 2 players could make some statement here about their choice from the previous game. An additional line or two could also give a bit of context to the breakup with Triss. Something like:
Geralt: "Don't be angry with Triss- she wanted to help me look for you, but I decided to come alone."
Yen: "And I bet she didn't appreciate that at all. Triss and I can work out our differences without your help, thank you. You forget I've known her far longer than I've known you."

Yeah i liked that nice little touch.

"She should move in with him"

Best line they said.

Then I threatened to cut off their hands :p

---------- Updated at 08:29 PM ----------

How is that? If it's only game mechanic it's pretty fair. You have a choice to romance Triss, Yennefer or both. What wrong with such mechanic?

No he is saying its not balanced -- too much of one side and not the other.

Also why are still even having this debate --- CDPR themselves realsied it was an issue the same as us, so I don't understand what your point is by bringing this up.

I don't expect any fixes for Triss to show up for a little while. They could add them as part of DLC instead of patching them in, in which case it could take even longer.

Months more of loons like the 'waifuisation thread' starter to put up with. My ignore button is going to be well worn.
Triss improvements at the end of it will make the wait seem worthwhile though

Not even gonna bother with that thread. Ain't nobody got time for that.

But since they didn't give us a time frame on the fixes it's anyone's guess when it will be released. I'm guessing it will take a few months.

I don't expect any fixes for Triss to show up for a little while. They could add them as part of DLC instead of patching them in, in which case it could take even longer.

I agree, 1.07 is not intended to do that. I am actually hoping the dev take long with the Triss fixes. Please don't put me in time out for saying that. My reasoning is simple the longer it take the more they fix. Hopefully that logic proves to be true.

Last i heard it sounded like the 1.07 patch was a few days away.
Obviously a Triss fix will take much longer.

I think Triss fixes is going to take some time. they may decide to incorporate it with the DLC but I thing they may release it separate right before or with first DLC.

I want to play the game again and do another Triss play-through so bad but I am happy to wait for the fixes. Right now I am running around Velen and White orchard trying to increase my level. If I can get to level 10 or 11 just doing all the ? I will start on side and main quest when the fixes and DLC come out.

Not even gonna bother with that thread. Ain't nobody got time for that.

But since they didn't give us a time frame on the fixes it's anyone's guess when it will be released. I'm guessing it will take a few months.

That's my guess as well...and I am GOOD with that. Take as long as you like CDPR...if they wait long enough the VO talent will be back in the studio for CP2077...and you KNOW they will use most of the folks again. CDPR seems pretty loyal to the folks they've worked with before...at least they will give them the offer.

Anyway, I am in no hurry if waiting will make it BETTER! :D As I have gotten older, I have gotten WAY more patient and WAY less tolerant :) Strange how that works out...

ctually hoping the dev take long with the Triss fixes. Please don't put me in time out for saying that. My reasoning is simple the longer it take the more they fix. Hopefully that logic proves to be true.
hat's my guess as well...and I am GOOD with that. Take as long as you like CDPR...

This is what I'm thinking. I would rather them take their time and make the fixes worthwhile.

Months more of loons like the 'waifuisation thread' starter to put up with. My ignore button is going to be well worn.
Triss improvements at the end of it will make the wait seem worthwhile though.

The Ignore button is an amazing feature isn't it?

Everywhere I look people are hating hardcore on Triss, and for reason I cannot explain they seem to think that we are somehow trying to make the game unbalanced by asking for more Triss content. The reality is we are simply trying to flesh out the character like in the previous game.

We want our choices in game to matter and we want it to be balanced for each character. When the player decides to pick one women as a LI that path needs to be just as fulfilling at the next.

It's so simple, but somehow our actions in this forum and the success of the previous forum in getting the dev to acknowledge the inconsistencies is threatening to some. After we received a response from the dev in our previous thread, people started acting like the Witcher World was on fire because the dev acknowledge the issue and said they will address it.

Are we so menacing that people are afraid of what we might achieve in relation to getting more Triss content? I have to admit tho it's funny to see how people react every time the dev reply to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom