What is the problem with the UI?

+
What is the problem with the UI?

And when they say this, are people referring to the actual game UI (The health bars, mini map, etc.) or the menus (item, equipment menu). Cause if its the former....what exactly is wrong with it?

JCJensen said:
And when they say this, are people referring to the actual game UI (The health bars, mini map, etc.) or the menus (item, equipment menu). Cause if its the former....what exactly is wrong with it?

When I talk about the UI I am referring to the inventory screen (including crafting and alchemy screens). CDPR has already made some improvements in the patches, and there are mods to fix almost everything else that annoyed me so it's not really a problem anymore :)

(Lack of a junk filter was obnoxious, but was fixed in a patch. Mods add other sorting options like alphabetically or by weight, and being able to make multiple potions or crafted items at once instead of having to place the ingredients multiple times in a row).

WardDragon said:
When I talk about the UI I am referring to the inventory screen (including crafting and alchemy screens). CDPR has already made some improvements in the patches, and there are mods to fix almost everything else that annoyed me so it's not really a problem anymore :)

(Lack of a junk filter was obnoxious, but was fixed in a patch. Mods add other sorting options like alphabetically or by weight, and being able to make multiple potions or crafted items at once instead of having to place the ingredients multiple times in a row).

This ^

I'm also not very fond of laggy cursor in menus. Load Game screen is really clunky and slow if you have a lot of save states.

My biggest problem with the UI (and the entire game by far) is the lack of ability to individually adjust voice/dialogue volumes separately from everything else. I despise subtitles in my games, but currently in about half of the game conversations (basement of the inn in flotsam anyone?) it's all but impossible to hear what geralt or any npc's have to say over the background "chatter".

tytimos said:
My biggest problem with the UI (and the entire game by far) is the lack of ability to individually adjust voice/dialogue volumes separately from everything else. I despise subtitles in my games, but currently in about half of the game conversations (basement of the inn in flotsam anyone?) it's all but impossible to hear what geralt or any npc's have to say over the background "chatter".

Hmmm. Interesting I am in Flotsom now and was in the Inn's basement the other night and did not experience that problem.

Do you have a dedicated soundcard or in integrated motherboard sound chip? Either way I would look into a driver update and and check if you have any sound card “environmental setting” or 3D sound turned on. Sometimes an enhanced setting which improves mp3 music playback can play havoc with a games surround sound.
Best
JMD

TheHighwayMan said:
Hmmm. Interesting I am in Flotsom now and was in the Inn's basement the other night and did not experience that problem.

Do you have a dedicated soundcard or in integrated motherboard sound chip? Either way I would look into a driver update and and check if you have any sound card “environmental setting” or 3D sound turned on. Sometimes an enhanced setting which improves mp3 music playback can play havoc with a games surround sound.
Best
JMD

Thanks for the interest in this.. I have a dedicated card, an Asus Xonar D1 pci card. It's nothing fancy, but it's one of the few audio chipsets today with real Linux support. I use a pretty basic headset, no speakers. It's set for 'stereo speakers' in the windows audio options. (w7, 64-bit.)

The only UI I faced was the mini map but times to times I enjoy getting lost in the forest :D like, where's the north?? @-@\
And the only problem with Crafting menu I had was when I ran out of material it immediately surprisingly switch to other formula

But I agree with it being formal and I like it that way, too.

What I hate about the UI is that the text is too small for old crt monitors. Also I don't like that I can't see what equipment is on my character when I'm buying from merchants.

TheHairyBear said:
What I hate about the UI is that the text is too small for old crt monitors. Also I don't like that I can't see what equipment is on my character when I'm buying from merchants.

Two valid points.

Edit: folks, be sure to look into the panel tweaks mod at Nexus. It fixes many issues.

The thing that bothers me most is that for crafting, formulas, weapon stats, etc, you'd have to wait for the darn thing to scroll in order to read everything. That's the worst design decision that I could think of.

Other than that, there is the fact that you can't sort your inventory. They should have a sort by alphabetical, value, stats (for example, Armor Strongest, Armor Next Strongest, etc, Damage Strongest, Damage 2nd Strongest, etc), and order obtained (which I believe is the current system).

Also, the fact that you can't sell the items that you currently have equipped (or at the very least see their stats) is annoying, but that's not really a UI issue.

Other than those things I had no real issue with the UI in the game. I was able to find everything that I needed easily enough.

I'd also like to be able to compare my currently equipped items to the store's inventory and my own while at the store/buy/sell interface. A way this could be done is by replacing the tooltip that is displayed on a "mouse over" condition to read what is currently equipped. Then on the right window, display the tooltip of what is selected in the shop/storage, and on the left window display what is selected in Geralt's inventory. This is just an idea though, I don't know if it would be very smooth, but it is a start.

Further, I liked the schematics presentation in W1 far better. That is to say, read the schematic once and it's added to your journal permanently and therefore you don't have to carry the schematic around anymore. This could also mean getting rid of the schematics category and integrating it with the books category, making room for more features such as a "sort by" button that would open a small drop down menu with sorting options.

Outside of the inventory menus, things are far better, though it would be nice if we had some scaling options to make the UI smaller - smaller health bar, targeting reticule, etc. I think having it large in any game takes away from the immersion, though turning it off completely would make things pretty difficult.

I know it's been told to death, but apparently not everyone knows about it by now.
There is a mod on witchernexus for all your equipment sorting needs and more:
http://witchernexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=87

- Minimap (points of the compass)
- Jumping from a panel to the other without going back in-game
- Sorting items (I know, there's mod for this)
- Small fonts on old monitors
- Merchants - ability to see what you already own and compare your items to the store's

Mohasz said:
- Merchants - ability to see what you already own and compare your items to the store's

Big issues (still unsolved)

*better world-map (more accessible)
*Sorting items function (i am not interested in mods)
*Jumping from a panel to the other without going back in-game
*To small fonts (character sheet)

Rovlad said:
I know it's been told to death, but apparently not everyone knows about it by now.
There is a mod on witchernexus for all your equipment sorting needs and more:
http://witchernexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=87

While that does look great, you'd hope that the DEVS would put all of those features into the stock game. People shouldn't have to go and download mods just to make small things like that work properly.

Mohasz said:

I don't care for changes to the Minimap or new ways of sorting the items, but apart from that I really would appreciate bigger fonts for old monitors, a way to compare the stats of items Gerald's wearing with what merchants/craftsmen offer and the ability to jump from one panel to another.

These are just minor changes, but they do have an impact on the gameplay feeling.

Top Bottom