I was reading the PC Gamer US article, and it upset me.

+
I was reading the PC Gamer US article, and it upset me.

First off, it was written by someone who hated The Witcher. Why on Earth his opinion would matter is beyond me. I wish more people wrote articles on games they hated, then I wouldn't have to sit through those reviews of Bioware games where they can do no wrong, or how predictably big-budget games like Fallout or Bioshock always score in the 90s, despite them not being everyone cup of tea. (Seriously? I want a direct focus and a narrative, not a huge world to run around in and have no direction. It's why I loved The Witcher.)Anyway, he mentioned one scene where Geralt is in prison, and drops in on a woman, and she's topless. And he said it was awkward. What's awkward about it? It seems very realistic to me. CD Projekt said they were going to change it. I hope they do not change it very much, she should at least have tattered or ripped clothing. I liked The Witcher for the realism and gritty view of the world. I am afraid that CD Projekt will tone down the game in order to appeal to a wider audience. I mean, sex is part of the real world. Why deny it?

Hard to agree with you without reading the article in question. Perhaps copy an paste or link unless its only in the magazine. But anyway yeah I think most agree they should not censor the games content. I would hope they learned their lesson on that last time with how everyone in the US complained about the censored version we got that they later fixed. If anything I think adult content will only cause the game to sell MORE. People are tired of games coming out that feel like they were made for 12 year olds an can't have any real adult content.

The moment CD Projekt start compromising their creative vision in order to appease loser critics is the moment their games will start to suckhope to god that never ever happens. the creative vision is the only thing that made Witcher a good game.I mean, what would it have without it? a ridiculously crap combat system that no game in history could be proud of? an annoying fiddly crafting system and bad UI? The only thing that made it worth anything is the creative vision, for sure.

Wit all due respect to the great American nation (no sarcasm, honestly) you guys are terrible prudes when it comes to sexuality. It's not like CDP showed a graphic depiction of a sexual act, or something actually distasteful. But as soon as there are nipples involved, there's a problem.I mean grow up! Breasts? Every woman has them! They're great, beautiful, whether big or small, not something you should be afraid of, or ashamed to see. It's the beauty of a human body we're talking about, nothing more natural than that. If the sight of it causes you distress, those are your unwanted feelings, and your issues to deal with.Moreover, computer games have now become an artform, and should be treated as such. Artists depicting nudity have their goals - whether to shock, or to comment, or anything else, but it can (and should!) be discussed in this context! You may not agree with the artists' vision, consider some art better, even claim that some nudity is just excessive and pointless, but "awkwardness"? Maybe if you get squeamish at the sight of a bare breast, can't walk into art galleries and museums, you just aren't yet mature enough to appreciate Western art.I'd definitely like to see the whole article before commenting any further though.CDP, you're great. It's good to know that you listen to the people you're making games for, we appreciate that. Just don't let a few harsh words detract you form your artistic vision of the game, and don't change anything unless you're sure you've crossed the line of good taste. Most of your fans are mature enough not to go ape-guano thinking about boobies.Mmm... Boobies.

Oh don't worry Fnorder, we know we're a pathetically prude nation. I personally can't stand it, it infuriates me to no end. I think the human body can be very beautiful and by no means should be constantly covered and hidden. And what gets me is how ridiculous the standards for it are. You can show the entire breast EXCEPT the nipple... that's it, that one part is the no-go zone, same for the lower goodies... Can show everything around it but the slightest slip of that extra bit of tissue and all hell breaks loose.Don't like it one bit... I wish people could learn to be mature about it all. And honestly for me, that even goes beyond the concept of tasteful nudity. I mean, in all honesty here... some simple tasteless lust is most definitely a part of many of our lives. So silly that publicly people will pretend it never happens, then it turns out those very same people have some bizarre appetites in private. Hopefully some day the general populous stops trying to pretend to be so innocent and embraces sexuality.

Fnorder said:
Wit all due respect to the great American nation (no sarcasm, honestly) you guys are terrible prudes when it comes to sexuality. It's not like CDP showed a graphic depiction of a sexual act, or something actually distasteful. But as soon as there are nipples involved, there's a problem.
Nipples are serious stuff in America. They destroy marriages, force children into lives of drugs and violence; politicians falter, corporations toss ethics out the window, churches burn, the very ground opens up in great fiery chasms and swallows up the innocents...it's all because of nipples. DAMN YOU NIPPLES!!!

Barid said:
...Hopefully some day the general populous stops trying to pretend to be so innocent and embraces sexuality.
Form what I've heard and read there was a mythical time callled "the '60-ies" but somehow it didn't catch on.
Barid said:
Nipples are serious stuff in America. They destroy marriages, force children into lives of drugs and violence; politicians falter, corporations toss ethics out the window, churches burn, the very ground opens up in great fiery chasms and swallows up the innocents...it's all because of nipples. DAMN YOU NIPPLES!!!
You should audition to be a wither for Seth McFarlane's "American Dad", seriously :)

I stopped caring about articles in game magazines (whether physical or virtual) a long time ago. It's nothing more than an ad campaign 99% of the time and most of the so-called "journalists" get payed to praise xyz product. That's why all the commercial crap gets high scores and tops the charts and is praised as the best [insert genre here] to come out in recent years. While smaller, with less financial base, games get the shaft. Fact of life, sadly. If I'm uncertain about a game, I check the forums instead. While most of the time its rather fanatical fanboyism or pure hate, there's always a good amount of truth to be gleamed. As for sexuality, I'll say what I usually say in such cases. Modern society is flawed because, apparently, running around killing hundreds of nameless NPC's is OK, while seeing a naked tit somewhere is the work of the Devil. /rolleyes

Fnorder said:
Form what I've heard and read there was a mythical time callled "the '60-ies" but somehow it didn't catch on.
Eh, 60's were some of the right things for all the wrong reasons... The stuff that came about wasn't through rationality or maturity, in fact quite the opposite. Hopefully someday we can do it right.. lol

What you said Barid, is one of the main themes/points of Hunter S. Thompson's classic American novel Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, as well as the death of the American dream and American excess in general. A lot of people think of this work (probably mainly due to the movie, which was great, but lacking in theme) as simply a comical if at times disturbing romp, which it is at times, with no meaning and don't realize the important themes behind it.Anyway, this topic is full of wisdom, not just about nudity/sex, but also, yes, game critics. And finally, this may very well be the greatest RPG ever created.

thehyecircus said:
CD Projekt said they were going to change it.
Hope they censor it for the US version only like they did it with TW1. Otherwise I'm going to be seriously dissapointed.

Top Bottom