Tags in conversation?

+
Tags in conversation?

In NeverWinter nights conversations, you could embed tags (like, for example, ) in conversation, and they'd get substituted at runtime (in this case with the speaking character's first name. This doesn't seem to work in D'Jinni. Is there anything we can do about this, or does it just not work?

Simon, I think that will not work. Why? In NWN you could make the dialogs for several character names (you can choose different characters for playing), but in The Witcher you normally only play with Geralt, so there is no need to make this in a dialog. And the dialogs are not similiar to the NWN ones, in NWN you make this only to get the speaking characters name, in Djinni there is no need to do this, because Geralt is always the speaking character. And the dialogs are different from NWN, you must make one entry in the dialog file for every single thing the character should say. Hope you understand what I mean.

HexenmeisterRaven said:
Simon, I think that will not work. Why? In NWN you could make the dialogs for several character names (you can choose different characters for playing), but in The Witcher you normally only play with Geralt, so there is no need to make this in a dialog. And the dialogs are not similiar to the NWN ones, in NWN you make this only to get the speaking characters name, in Djinni there is no need to do this, because Geralt is always the speaking character. And the dialogs are different from NWN, you must make one entry in the dialog file for every single thing the character should say. Hope you understand what I mean.
I do, Raven, but I don't understand why. The underlying dialog file format doesn't seem to have changed very much - so why take out a feature which worked? Having said that, of course, name tags (and the like) aren't compatible with extensive voice acting.

Hm....I really don't know for what you need it. In NWN you could give different options to a character while being in dialog, but you made it with the dialog itself. And if you wanted to have only the female go to "special place" with that character, you do this with the dialog, but you can't do this in the Witcher's dialogs. Those witcher dialogs are different and you have to script it somehow. Maybe you have to script a special dialog with that special option you will give it and then set the flags for this dialog to 0 or 1, something like a quest phase? I think what you try to do is only possible over a quest phase. But I really don't know if its possible the way I think.

HexenmeisterRaven said:
Hm....I really don't know for what you need it. In NWN you could give different options to a character while being in dialog, but you made it with the dialog itself. And if you wanted to have only the female go to "special place" with that character, you do this with the dialog, but you can't do this in the Witcher's dialogs. Those witcher dialogs are different and you have to script it somehow. Maybe you have to script a special dialog with that special option you will give it and then set the flags for this dialog to 0 or 1, something like a quest phase? I think what you try to do is only possible over a quest phase. But I really don't know if its possible the way I think.
I've got the same default dialogue on all characters who don't have their own specific dialogue. I want the dialogue to be slightly different depending on whether they're man, woman or child, but more importantly I want them to be able to say who they are so you know which dialogue you need to fix next.Mind you, of course, they have their names as floating text so that isn't very important.

I have not looked at the dialogs much, because I'm totally busy with those templates. But if you want them to say who they are, you can make the dialogs over their templates or spawnsets, simply fill in to the spawnset a dialog with "Hi, I am xyz. How are you", this (or something like this) should do it.Or are those the dialogs that they say when they are running around the village?

You could setup dialogue trees based on the character being spoken to. So you setup the global dialog flags 2DA file to have new flags that are set at initialize as false (man_talked, woman_talked, child_talked). Then in your dialogue for a certain character, it would set a global flag to 1 for that character "On Conversation Started" while setting the rest to 0. This way, one dialogue file could be used for all minor characters, but it would be customized to that character. Speaking to other characters would do the same.Therefore you centralize all dialogue while making the conversations specialized to a certain character based on when a conversation begins with them.If you want them to say their name, however, you would need a separate tree for every person, and a separate flag correlating to that character. Extra work, but achieves the same purpose at runtime.

Vaernus said:
You could setup dialogue trees based on the character being spoken to. So you setup the global dialog flags 2DA file to have new flags that are set at initialize as false (man_talked, woman_talked, child_talked). Then in your dialogue for a certain character, it would set a global flag to 1 for that character "On Conversation Started" while setting the rest to 0. This way, one dialogue file could be used for all minor characters, but it would be customized to that character. Speaking to other characters would do the same.Therefore you centralize all dialogue while making the conversations specialized to a certain character based on when a conversation begins with them.If you want them to say their name, however, you would need a separate tree for every person, and a separate flag correlating to that character. Extra work, but achieves the same purpose at runtime.
Thanks!I'll try to make that work...

Top Bottom