Media: Cyberpunk 2077 Movies

+
Media: Cyberpunk 2077 Movies

Well, someone was going to start this, so it may as well be me. Gonna try for no more than...two per post. So as not to swamp readers in long lists.

Neither of these are /great/ movies - I'll let someone else post those. Both are kind of interesting for ideas and influences. And the odds are most of you haven't seen one or even both.

"Hardware": http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099740/

I'll let the IMDB post speak for itself:
"The head of a cyborg reactivates and rebuilds itself and goes on a violent rampage in a space marine's girlfriend's apartment. "

Yeah.

MOSTLY notable for the soundtrack, including Stigmata by Ministry. Oh and one of the main characters, yes, has a cyberhand.

"Tetsuo II: The Body Hammer" : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105569/

"Sequel to "Tetsou" this time has the Iron Man transforming into cyberkinetic gun when a gang of vicious skinheads kidnap his son"

Posting the sequel because I saw it first and it's, well..it's..yeah. The Tetsuo series is mostly notable because William Gibson, at the time, thought it was amazing. And so it is. Sort of.

On to the next person!

Ghost in the Shell seems like an obvious answer. Personally I'm a big fan of the series more than the films, so if you don't mind watching 26 episodes of anime, I'd strongly recommend Stand Alone Complex. 52 episodes if you watch both seasons/story arcs.

Armitage III is another great cyberpunk anime.

Ah, well.

-- GHOST NIN THE SHELL
-- BLADERUNNER
-- CYBORG
-- THE ISLAND
-- M:A:R:K: 13
-- JUDGE DREDD (the new one)
-- TOTAL RECALL (the new one)
-- PI (oh God watch it PLEASE, and I DON'T mean the one with the Tiger and the boat)
-- Equilibrium
-- CIPHER(!)
-- Sneakers(!)

And since this is 2013, and there is more creativity and money going into video games than movies
-- Remember Me
-- Watchdogs

Well, MATRIX is an obvious recommendation. Note that there was only one MATRIX movie, no matter what others would try to tell you.

MINORITY REPORT is kinda okayish as a cyberpunk entry.

PI, eh? The math one?

You make an excellent point about video games, although we probably need a whole new thread for that. And the concomitant discussion on wither it is or isn't Cyberpunk. Those are the best, aren't they?

Well, MATRIX is an obvious recommendation. Note that there was only one MATRIX movie, no matter what others would try to tell you.
...just a plot by the machine, eh chombatta? ;-)

Looks like most of the seminal viddys have already been covered. To the mix, I'd add:

A Clockwork Orange - ah, those rascally youth... (less for the "cyber", and more for the "punk")
Children of Men - less for the wiz-tech, and more for the overall feel
Tron: Legacy - life inside the Net

I like Gattica. It's an interesting take on the future Utopia/Dystopia tropes, along with commentary on gen-engineering. Pretty Cyberpunk, right there.

I kind of liked Gattaca. The scene near the end where Jude Law departs, very touching.
I liked it too. Thought it was one of the better cyberpunk movies.I know many who do not feel the same. Was grimacing for the heat at calling it a good movie.

Gattaca rules. Hackers drools. Also can we talk about the only Gibson short story ever to be adapted to film? The eponymous Johnny Mnemonic starring Keanu Reeves? And if you guys want Angelina Jolie when she was hot, Cyborg 2 is where it's at.

Ah, well.

-- GHOST NIN THE SHELL
-- BLADERUNNER
-- CYBORG
-- THE ISLAND
-- M:A:R:K: 13
-- JUDGE DREDD (the new one)
-- TOTAL RECALL (the new one)
-- PI (oh God watch it PLEASE, and I DON'T mean the one with the Tiger and the boat)
-- Equilibrium
-- CIPHER(!)
-- Sneakers(!)

And since this is 2013, and there is more creativity and money going into video games than movies
-- Remember Me
-- Watchdogs

I was about to say this. Watch Dogs well is my #1 anticipated game of this year, well if it is coming this year, and I dam hope Cyberpunk releaes next year only and not in 2077.
As for the genre nothing beats Ghost in the Shell yet

I like the new Total Recall. The movie reminds me of taking a bad mushroom trip, losing touch with reality. The new Dredd was great as well.

Some of my favorite cyberpunk movies (besides the ones that's been mentioned) are A Scanner Darkly, The Second Renaissance (from The Animatrix, A Detective Story also), 12 Monkeys, Aeon Flux animated show, and many others. I thought Prometheus had some good cyberpunk scenes as well, specifically the medpod scene.

Top Bottom