Cannot load module - version mismatch

+
Cannot load module - version mismatch

That's the message I get when trying to go from Vizima's Cemetery to the Trade District, and then the game returns me to the main menu. If I reload and try again, the game crashes, and so on, and so on...

Does anyone have a solution for this? Thanks in advance.

You can try this but note that it needs to be followed to the letter .
Cannot load module - invalid IFO file .

There is an issue known as the IFO module error, you get that error when trying to to change zone (mostly in chapters 2 and 3).
To fix this, you need to make some changes to your OS in order to view certain files, first, if you are under XP, go to my computer, get on your C drive, open the tools menu -> Folder options, View tab. In there, look for "Hidden files and folders", click on show hidden files and folder. Next look for "Hide protected operating system files", uncheck it.
If you are under Vista, go to the control panel and look for folder option, the rest of the procedure is the same : View tab. In there, look for "Hidden files and folders", click on show hidden files and folder. Next look for "Hide protected operating system files", uncheck it.

Now, start the game, and load your savegame ( normal savegame, not quick or auto ). Once it is loaded, press ALT-Tab to get out of the game, go to the following folder:
Windows XP/2003: C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Local Settings\Application Data\The Witcher\temp\saves\<name of your loaded savegame>
Windows Vista/7: C:\User\<your user name>\AppData\Local\The Witcher\temp\saves\<name of your loaded savegame>
In that folder, delete all the files that end with the .SAV extension.

Then go back in the game, move around a bit, save your game and reload it.

Thanks for the reply! I guess I'll try this again, didn't work the 1st time when I googled it... Also I get "version mismatch", not "invalid IFO file" if that is of any importance.

Ok... I've encountered an even more interesting bug. When I enter the house of Triss to complete The Source quest, cutscene from the beginning of chapter III plays and then goes to black screen with music playing in the background. TW2 had little to no bugs, how come this one is so broken, and hasn't been fixed yet?

I`m thinking it may be a corrupted save . If you want send me the save and i`ll load it up and see if I get the same results . email is in sig bar .

Ok it randomly worked out. It still played the cutscene, but after I've skipped it, this time Triss came up to talk to me and I was able to progress and enter the house again no problem (for now). I'll let you know if more problems pop up.

Top Bottom