The Witcher 3: To Get Or Not To Get

+
The Witcher 3: To Get Or Not To Get

Hey there everybody, let me start off by introducing myself. My name is deadparrots, and you're probably thinking I'm pretty insane for making this post, but let me explain myself.

I have never played a Witcher game before, I've wanted to, but never got the chance to ever do so.
But from what I've heard from my friends about the games, I decided to go and watch multiple recap videos, capping the lore that lies within the books and the games, so if I do decide to get the Witcher 3, I'll be caught up on the lore for the most part.

Now, here is where my question comes in.

I am a pretty bigRPG fan, or so I like to think so about myself. I've played each TES game starting at Daggerfall, capping completion percentages on Skyrim and Oblivion. I've played each Dragon Age game and beat them, same goes for Fallout, you know, the games with RPG elements a lot of people have played.

Now, I heard a /big/ selling point for the Witcher games is the story, which as I said, I've got covered. But, I'd like to know from you guys, considering I know there's probably a handful of die-hard fans in here, would this be a fine game to start playing the Witcher at? I mean that in the sense of getting a hold of the combat system, I'm not sure how that works and all, I'd just like to know everybody's thoughts.

If this post doesn't belong here, I'm very apologetic and will work on getting that fixed, but hello once again, and thanks!

I haven't played it, but I've heard a few previews say that the Witcher 3 is the best starting point for newcomers.

The first game is okay, with a good story but pretty "meh" combat. I do recommend playing 2 if you get the chance though. It blows the first game out of the water in pretty much every single way.

I haven't played it, but I've heard a few previews say that the Witcher 3 is the best starting point for newcomers.

The first game is okay, with a good story but pretty "meh" combat. I do recommend playing 2 if you get the chance though. It blows the first game out of the water in pretty much every single way.

I heard 2 was exceptionally better than 1 as well, so I'll definitely pick it up for my 360, then.

The whole game is designed so it is possible to start the series at this point. Even without any background information this game is playable. Although I would recommend playing atleast The Witcher 2 and reading the first 2 short story books :) The first is "The Last Wish" and the second is "Sword of Destiny".

The whole game is designed so it is possible to start the series at this point. Even without any background information this game is playable. Although I would recommend playing atleast The Witcher 2 and reading the first 2 short story books :)

Sweet, thanks :)

I'll definitely pick up TW2 on Tuesday.

It's definately worth playing the game even if you haven't played the other games before. the difficulty of combat depends upon the difficulty level you choose. the controls work fine the combat system is nice, but if you tend die easy and have trouble adjusting it would be wise not to take the highest difficulty.

Most importantly you are a big fan of rpgs, and as a big fan you shouldn't miss out the witcher series.

I'd recommend you to play the witcher 3 first and then if you liked it you can still play witcher 1 and 2, and maybe even read the books. but it's absulutely not neccessary, since the story will be explained all the way through.

Thanks all of you so far.

Do you guys have an estimate of how much this game will have? Random events of any kind? Any estimate of how many hours it would take for full completion?

P.S When I watched videos of gameplay, the fact there's no blood that splatters on the ground really irked me, blegh.

Do you guys have an estimate of how much this game will have? Random events of any kind? Any estimate of how many hours it would take for full completion?

P.S When I watched videos of gameplay, the fact there's no blood that splatters on the ground really irked me, blegh.

That information is around, and in Google. 50-200 hours to complete, lots of randoms, no blood splatters is a bug and is to be fixed, check the relevant thread.

This is a fine place for your post, welcome aboard and yes, get the game. Nothing wrong with starting here. You can also start with Witcher 1 and 2, or go back later.

The issue with blood splatters in TW3 is a bug that concerns humans and Drowners. It will probably get fixed in the Day 1 Patch or another patch. It is a known bug :)

Check out this spoiler free review. I hope this clears all our doubts.
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/35956-In-depth-SPOILER-FREE-review-of-TW3-by-a-gamer

P.S. - Get Witcher 3!

In my opinion W1 was more it's own story and bigget benefit in it was to get to know all the characters. I'd say it's skippable (is that a word), just take a quick look at its storyline

W2 is lot better in almost every way and I would play play it before W3, it isn't too long, about 25h playtrough if you don't do every single sidequest
At this point I hope you haven't looked up the story which is the biggest reason to play it. Other is that you can make your own choices which will then carry over to W3
(and some of those choices affect the world in really big ways)

So what i'd do: buy both W2 and W3 and play W2 first

I would say playing TW1 and 2 first will deepen your experience with TW3 since it's all canon. You'll understand the voice of the characters and the tone of the world, something which you can't pick up from recaps.

If you are as big a RPG fan as you seem to be, you owe it to yourself to play the first two games. I haven't played the first in a while, so dunno how it holds up; but when it came out, it was to me one of the best RPGs to come out in a long while. The second one improved on the first in many ways. So, I highly recommend playing the first two games if you can. If for whatever reason you can't, this game seems to be a nice place to start. It was the first Witcher game to some of the reviewers as well, and they all seemed to love it.

I would suggest to go back and play Witcher 1 later on if you would enjoy the series and find out what started this whole following. I played W1 out of sheer curiosity myself after seeing the first Witcher 3 trailers. What I found it is how unique & different it is compared to pretty much every western/mainstream rpg I've played in a game despite all its many flaws. It's one of those rare games that feel that had a life of its own.
I imagine its not a game for everyone, and in fact it didn't hook me in at all as something of an addictive experience (took me about half a year to finish), but as a whole I very much enjoyed it especially for the satisfaction of finishing the story.

Anyway enough blabbing by me, it's a pretty safe bet to get Witcher 3 unless if your expectations from the game were completely off the mark. So word of warning; it's not the sort of RPG that lets you create your character from scratch and hands you complete autonomy on his physical traits, personality, occupational path, etc. The idea of playing Geralt is to project yourself in his shoes and get to live and breath the world as he sees it in his eyes and act accordingly to whatever is thrown at you.

tw1 hasnt aged well in terms of graphics and gameplay, imo one was better than 2 story wise and theere was alot more variety in quests too, nt saying w2 was bad, it was great but the story could be a bit overwhelming for newcomers as its wholly about politics and nt much abt geralt himself, try both if you can, once you get used to the combat of tw1, youll like it alot.
as for witcher 3, its getiing pretty amazing reviews everywhere, so its upto you really.

Played TW1 first and it hooked me with it's story and atmosphere. There is a melancholy that you won't find in the later titles. At times you actually felt lonely and like an outcast. But you also had your duty. For me it will always be the the best Witcher experience.

Hey there everybody, let me start off by introducing myself. My name is deadparrots, and you're probably thinking I'm pretty insane for making this post, but let me explain myself.

I have never played a Witcher game before, I've wanted to, but never got the chance to ever do so.
But from what I've heard from my friends about the games, I decided to go and watch multiple recap videos, capping the lore that lies within the books and the games, so if I do decide to get the Witcher 3, I'll be caught up on the lore for the most part.

Now, here is where my question comes in.

I am a pretty bigRPG fan, or so I like to think so about myself. I've played each TES game starting at Daggerfall, capping completion percentages on Skyrim and Oblivion. I've played each Dragon Age game and beat them, same goes for Fallout, you know, the games with RPG elements a lot of people have played.

Now, I heard a /big/ selling point for the Witcher games is the story, which as I said, I've got covered. But, I'd like to know from you guys, considering I know there's probably a handful of die-hard fans in here, would this be a fine game to start playing the Witcher at? I mean that in the sense of getting a hold of the combat system, I'm not sure how that works and all, I'd just like to know everybody's thoughts.

If this post doesn't belong here, I'm very apologetic and will work on getting that fixed, but hello once again, and thanks!

I would say it completely depends on you and your anticipation on playing Witcher 3 sooner or later. I can say that without having played the previous Witcher games multiple times I wouldn't be as hyped as I am now for Witcher 3.

So if you really want to experience everything I recommend playing the previous games because it shapes the world and builds it up towards Witcher 3.

You may have some issues with the combat in either W1 or W2 but the game gets better and better with each iteration so just stick through it and play it for the story.

if really want to get a feel for the characters read the books.
some of the things that happend in the 1st 2 games will be part of the story of this game but I'm sure they will fill you in as you go. I still think the witcher 2 is one of the better RPG's I have played but the combat is less refined that what I have seen of the witcher 3
I have the 1st witcher game my self but find it hard to get into and have not finsihed it.

Top Bottom