[TW1][mod] Full Combat Rebalance v1.3 RC

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
i wanted to add that sometimes when i knockdown a bunch of low health enemies and then use group style on someone that is NOT knockdowned I kill a bunch of guys that lie on the floor aswell. only happens 1 out of 10 it seems. I started replaying TW1 for getting a bunch of savegames together. I am doing elf-lover now on vanilla/hard and after playing FCR on hard before I must say I like your version much better ! I will do the next runs with FCR but maybe on a lower diff so I can breeze thru and concentrate on the decisions.and yeah, grinding isn't necessary, just kill everything you see and you end with 40, if u grind u get there quicker but it isn't worth it. I play it now only "economically", meaning I do as much quest as quick together as possible since I know where to do what and which monsters I will encounter.

Knocked down and stunned opponents have a higher chance to recieve a critical hit and 1 out of 10 critical hits have a chance to become an insta-kill. The problem is that when using group style the game calculates the chance and applies it to every opponent you hit, so if you rolled a lethal hit for one knocked down opponent everyone dies. It's how the game works.I like the idea that I don't have to kill everything that moves to reach level cap. It leaves much more freedom to properly roleplay. I hate in other games when I roleplay a do-gooder I'm forced to steal, accept criminal quests and kill NPCs instead of showing them mercy just because this is the only way to level up. With enough experience I wouldn't have to worry about it.Glad you like the mod.

the descriptions are much more coherent imo, the +1 / +2 gives me values I can actually measure against each other instead of vague "+25 %" values. I can live with the "chance of fear/pain/knockdown/.." things but having no knowledge of how much damage I will do with a normal sword strike was not good in vanilla TW. I am very curious how they gonna change it in TW2 since they said they will get rid of the "random" values.

OH, even in vanilla game I really was grinding just vance - I needed to pass 2 more levels to get some desired upgrade (probably one of those mentioned gold improvement of sign powers through Intel or gold toxicity tolerance for potions). In the meantime I was levelling especially in Chapters II and III during visits to swamps because of that block that prevents you from picking herbs and body parts for alchemy when an enemy is nearby - and drowners keep spawning, so for picking a few bloedzigur bloods or fainweeds I had to slaughter 2/3 of the swamps - and that really boosted experience harvest for some time. But that wasn't gringing but annoyance - I would really appreciate mod which will reduce the spawn speed of both types of drowners to some reasonable level.OK, I have just passed through that barghest fight at arrival to Inn in the Outskirts. Nasty experience - a played it approximately 20-times and even when I walked up that platworms at outer wall, so barghest can attack only from one direction and only one-by-one I was quickly defeated. Geralt was unable to really win one-to-one fight with a single barghest - or do it twice. Maybe I should flee and try to use one wetstone on sword and even apply swallow, but that would mean facing full group of them going only after me. At the end I finally had enough luck, so I not only knocked down, but also coup-de-graced 2 of them by single AARD (really tough within time limit of the effects), guard killed one before being killed himself and then I spent 1-2 minutes running around the backyard with the last barghest just 1 meter behind me. When AARD finally charged I knocked him down and finished - if I missed, I would have to repeat the race. Really funny moment, when professional monster killer is doing a kind of the Indy Car racing with one dog, because he cannot just turn around and kill him. :)))OK, hopefully with the right oil it will be better. But for sure I am going to wait a couple of levels before I will accompany Vesna to her home.Mothra: absolute agreement. This misty explanations in game/tree development mechanics are one of the few things that disappointed me during gameplay. In an action game I would't care, but in RPG when I am supposed to be master of combat who wins through knowledge of strong and weak points - I should know how it works and be sattisfied by finding the most effective solutions. Rather than just Igni, click, clik, click, Aard, click etc.

hmm, you could always apply whetstone in kaer mohren, and start the funeral at around 18:00 then the game advances only to the later evening and the effect is still active. And yeah, first thing I do is run away and either drink a potion or use a few consumables like water/food depending on what talents I invested in first. It's actually rather good to have them circle you in a corner, that way Aard is much more effective and in most cases all the dogs go for you so you draw them away from the guards who can get in a few free kills on dogs you knocked down. and don't forget you can always just hit once and break the combo, in FCR you will get all damage from the whole skilltree on first strike, not damage depending on the sequence.

mungo13 said:
Maybe I should flee and try to use one wetstone on sword and even apply swallow, but that would mean facing full group of them going only after me. At the end I finally had enough luck, so I not only knocked down, but also coup-de-graced 2 of them by single AARD (really tough within time limit of the effects)
Of course that's what you are supposed to do. Not flee but pause the game at the beggining of combat, use whetstone and blizzard potion (you start Chapter 1 with 1 blizzard potion from Triss) and stun 2 barghests with one Aard. That's what you are going to do in most combats - use all possible means to defeat the enemy. In vanilla game you don't even have to use any potion beside swallow, no oil at all and no bombs. Witcher arsenal is vast and in FCR on hard difficulty you finally have to use it. Use potions, use oils, use bombs, use everything.Now, you are wondering how you are supposed to kill these barghests. Barghest have 85% chance to hit and you have 50% base chance to dodge and 50% chance to parry, +5% per each point in dexterity, +10% from blizzard potion and +5% from 3rd level dexterity upgrade branch. In short, you can reduce the chance of being hit in Chapter 1 from 35% to 5%.Other thing is that you need specific oils against monster types. Barghest is a half-specter (a ghost but it does have a material body). After the fight with barghests go to the inn, sleep untill morning, go to Abigail and buy specter oil recipe. With specter oil on you blade you can kill barghest with 2 hits of strong and fast style. That's the witcher knowledge ;)

yeah, i played FCR with bombs and while normally having to thin out the enemies one by one you can use bombs to turn any battle (together with the right swordstyle). I invested in Quen and let myself get attacked a few times until I have the right positioning, throw a bomb (blinding and/or fear work depending on enemies) and then reposition and kill many enemies in quick succession. Dragons Dream doesn't evaporate right away so you can even use it to lay traps:lay out an yrden sign, throw a dragon bomb right behind it, monsters come - get thrown back from yrden into dragon dream, light it with Igni -> half health or more is gone. finish up with another sign or sword.

Flash, thanks for explanation. Unfortunatelly, from vanilla game, I am not used to use that pause ability - I tryed to play all in real-time. So I should get used to it now. And also I forgot about blizzard - although I was using all types of alchemy quite a lot before, I used blizzard maybe twice.Of course, in the morning, it will be better with oils from Abigail, dwarf smith and acces to some knowledge from bookseller in the Inn. But this fight was very unpleasant even in vanilla game, so I don't mind. Anyway, I'll have to make a good stock of the White Honey for common drinking of potions.Simply I have to accomodate with new rules of the game.mothra - I should use that trick with Dragon (previously I was using especially Samum and Zerrikanian Sun - with good effect), because throwing and lighting it up is rather time consuming action.

So it's me again. I had another one "fun"with barghests when I was accopmanying Vesna home. Unfortunatelly in the same moment I had active Quest for the Priest for that 5 candles to altars - therefore I spawned maybe twice as much barghests. And it seems, that it's not possible to avoid, once you activate quest for the Priest. This time I had blizzard, swallow, grinded sword (eeer, I hadn't made oil yet, when I found myself near Vesna), dextrity at lvl. 2. Anyway - barghest were biting pretty hard - so better ability to kill them wouldn't help when I found myself playing with ~8 of them. So thanks for Vesna's HPs. She maybe killed 1/2 of them and she even delivered some sudden death to ghoul - because I was almost unable to damage him at that moment. :) (I know, I should have oils for both type of monsters and couple of blizzards, not just one - which doesnt last enough for necessary regeneration pauses)So, what I wanted to ask:1. is there any oil working on both types of drowners? I tryed necrophage one, but I didn't see any effect. I was trying to kill Nader, but with pretty low damage of just a few HP, even his low regeneration was pretty high and I had to try lot of attacks - enough to his chance to hit was succesfull and kill me. And it's not spectre, feels no fear and is immune to pain and bleeding - so cinfrid oil is also of no use. (I didn't kill him, it was just test - I'll go after him with boosted AARD by Circle of power and magic ritual).2. as I plan to be sign/potions oriented witcher - therefore I probably be able to get only 1 silver and 1 steel style to lets say Lvl. 3 (not very probably to L. 4) - which one do you think is more usefull? I am looking at the Excel tables, but I am pretty confused, what lot of columns means. Especially when compared with calculations shown in this topic. Is first column FCR value and next one(s) only for original game/other mods?If yes, then at least for me it seems to be better to go for Strong style for Silver sword, as just a couple of enemies has percentual resistance - usually those, which are not so common enemies, except for kikimores.For steel one it seems to be a question of preference, as later ingame there will be quite a lot of armoured oponents, although from beginning to late middle, there are quite a lot of salamanders in leather type. So for the moment for me it seems to be better to go for Fast style in Steel - although it means harder fights int the Act.I with monsters. And for Salamanders find a good damaging sword. - if there is any left :).And one stupid question - how is calculated dodge and parry? If I have 50% dodge 50% parry, does that mean, that my chance to not being hit are 75%, all is it applied differently.

drowners are only affected by oils you dont possess in the prologue. grind/wetstone helps for additional damage. and I usually do the vesna/candles quest together 'cause I like to do as much as possible together but I never had 8 dogs at the same time. you must know, you trigger dogs at certain points (2 shacks b4 u get to the royal huntsman for example) no matter if you have a quest or not. so always advance slowly and trigger them one by one. then you have the vesna / lamp dogs, those should spawn either 3 at a time or 2 waves of them after each other. it's best to aard the dog vesna is fighting so she can kill him instantly.

Yes, that is something I remember from vanilla - but that time I had hard job to protect Vesna, now I had hard time to protect myself, while Vesna can kick all asses around Wyzima on her own :)It seems, that some spawnpoints for Vesna quest are too close to altars, so it is possible to trigger them both. Maybe even multiple times. That big group of Barghest was called in at the end of quest at position of peasant militia - I moved a little bit, it spawned group which attacks militia, as I moved forward to get some space to react, I triggered group at altar in the village and subsequently me or somebody else triggered some lonely barghest, you can encounter after these quests, when you wander at night. Simply, you have to be cautios even when you are trying to maneuvre during fight. Good thing is, that you can run out of barghests while they are spawning if you don't have to fight them - or just don't want.OK, I will level up to rise dextrity to Lvl. 3 and get also bronze talents at that level, which also increase dodge and parry, get some grindstone and then I will try to play with Nadir. I would like to do this quest before entering Crypt, but if it will not work, then I will go maybe not to immediately kill Ozzrel, but at least to fight my way to IGNI circle and learn it and then return back for Nadir.I am a little bit stack, as I have already did some easier quests and now the remaining ones require som harder fightintg - both trophys and ghouls for Mikul echinops for Odo and Declan and Sco'iatel for Mikul.

my best order was:dogs/vesnadrowners/harendrowners/nadirmikul/cryptmikul/kalkstein/salamndra at bridgecrypt/ozzrelcave/leuvarden's friendchurch/leoodo/archespore- you should be lvl 10 when starting the endgame salamandra hideoutwhen you prepare to go to the village meeting to decide on abigail make sure you exit the cave in the evening but BEFORE 23:00 in the night or the game will advance to the next night and all oils/potions effects are lost.

So nadir wasn't so bad at Dex Lvl.2 + Blizzard, Awallow, Tawny Owl and wetstone on sword. I wasn't able to knock him out (and I didn't want to run to places of powers, as it means some fights with barghests), but I was able to knock him to ground and deliver a couple more hits without chance of retaliation. Most important was to run away a little bit, wait him to come and start the attack at right moment - I lost one fight because of that game bug when Geralt refuse to perform an action - attack or evasive one. So although I clicked on Nadir, Geralt did nothing, click - nothing and then Nadir hit me. This happened 3 times during fight and then one regular hit from him finished me. Next fight, when I tryed to click for attack at what I consider a right moment I killed him without scratch.Unfortunatelly, barghests are not defeatable this way - they are too fast and don't give you a chance to get some distance and prepare for fight. I tryed one fight after Lvl. up to Dex.3 + enhancements - that should be equal of Lvl. 2 + blizzard - but still they werre biting hard (I tryed that fight with cinfrid and also specter oil couple of times just to try to find out some fighting tactics on them). Unfortunatelly - you knock/stun 2 of 3, click for coup-de-grace and Geralt starts moving like a snail. Sometimes you can finished two, but in this case you can even let both of them to recover :((((Anyway, now I'll probably visit the crypt to see, whether I can kill ghoul - If yes, then I fill try to reach IGNI sign. I'd like to see, how it works on drowners and Sco;iatel.About Abigail and The Beast - thx. I tryed that once in vanilla, but I thought, that game just reset oils and potions and not moved time ahead. Good to know - as at the start of the fight it is difficult to apply oil and dring ~3 potions.

Named bosses are immune to knockdown and stun. They shouldn't be stun-kill targets.Do you have specter oil already? You can kill barghests with 2 attacks of group style or 1 attack of strong or fast style with specter oil.To beat ghuls you absolutely need necrophage oil. In Chapter 1 Geralt is too weak to handle them without oil.

OH, that something I didn't know about bosses. OK, so I will no more try to stun them - that mean that even Beast must be killed in ordinary way? My strong style is stil at basic Lvl. one with bronze upgrade for damage, as I took dextrity first and maybe in steel I will opt for fast style rather than strong one. I had specter oil on sword - but it needed more than one attack sequence to kill barghest. I will load that fight again and than check it. It is that random fight, when Beast appears, summons 3 barghests and let them fight you. So it''s little bit difficult to test the effects on single barghests, when you have to look after 2 more. If I am unsure, I will wait till night and try to find a rabbid dog - as they change to single barghest; and tests the effect on them.I have already necrophage, specter and cinfrid oils available.

save cinfrid, i never needed it in act1. and even if bosses are immune to knockdown/stun you should use it (I do a swordmaster run and use aard all the time, even on lvl1 it gives you time to breath, activate Quen or run away). necrophage is paramount in act1 + 2. In 3 you can be a little more cocky if you have enough talents in +damage. but don't think you can take on more than 2 gravirs in a small area: e.g. the AbandonedHouse in Act2 with Wraith ontop and Gravirs in the cellar. even if I fought them one by one on the lower stairs I got killed in a few seconds so I tried again and found the best way for Graveirs/Alghouls: S A M U Mhahaha, i just took blizzard/swallow, went down there, killed only the first graveir with sword, throw the samum bomb and : BOOOOOOM, all 3 remaining graveirs stunned and I could do 3 insta-kills. Fight over. was on hard, not insane though and only works in that small space where the bomb catches everybody. Fear is awesome for salamandra mobs, Blinding is awesome for Fleders/Vampire mobs, they start to miss everytime and you just slash away without having to watch your health. Just don't use bombs except Dragon'sDream on "bosses", they don't have any effect (eg. Samum, KingAndQueen have no effect on prof or Azar).

I just loades save with that fight and was trying to fight them - to find out what works, what doesn't - just to understand. They were already regullary killed.And I'm saving cinfrid and making stock of it, as for 35 orens it is extremly cheap - highest quality fat plus 2x vermillion makes it really expensive stuff. Bombs - hmm, yes, next silver talent is planned to go to intelligence to allow their preparation rather than the last silver Level of dextrity. Or maybe I can get both - if 8th level is that, where you get 2x silver. I was quite sorry in vanilla, that I wasn't forced to use bombs more often - because they really made perfect work, espesially blinding and stunning types.

Witcher steel sword - 13 dmgstrong style level 1 - 2 dmgcrushing blow 1 - 2 dmg= 17 dmgBarghest armor - 10 dmg reductionSpecter oil - 20 dmg17 + 20 - 10 = 27Barghest health - 53, no hp regenOne attack consists of 2 hits, so you have to kill barghest in one attack if you have crushing blow upgrade.You should also have +1 dmg from living anatomy upgrade - intelligence level 2.Crinfrid oil is good againsts groups of humans. You can easily spread pain effect with group style.

Guest 2081505

mothra said:
Just don't use bombs except Dragon'sDream on "bosses", they don't have any effect.
Think of devil's puffball; even the queen is affected by this bomb!By the way: @ flashIf you kill the queen in the entrance cave, the kikimore workers in the tunnel don't get hostile.

Flash, you were right - I tryed that fight again and 1st sequence of the strong style sent barghest back to hell. I probably either retreated after first strike as I did it before or mismatched it with other fight. Still their speed make them probably the most deadly enemy at all.I just survived the fight with mage and armoured hound on the bridge - quite difficult with choice of being quickly killed either by mage's spells or bites of the hound. Even with blizzard it chewed me to pieces within seconds. Is there any real tactics for this fight except for hope of stunning them by single AARD and them using 2 instant kills in that short time? With accuracy of 110 - that hound is as deadly, as the mage and with 2 armed bandits there is very few space.BTw., how can you spread pain with group style, when - accordinf to what I found here - if damage is lower than protection, than hit is counted as parryed and no hit means no effect from cinfrid oil. And group style has high penalty on damage. Maybe for advanced sword character who invest in this style it works.Btw. - how long last this effects like pain and bleeding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom