E3 2014: CDProjekt's PR strategy

+

E3 2014: CDProjekt's PR strategy

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Do not lose hope guys.
Remember what Marcin said:

I really hate playing the grumpy old bunny role and yet I have to remind you of the previous E3 with the closed door session that will be repeated again this year.

I really doubt they'd ramp up the PR like they have been and then do another closed door presentation. I expect gameplay, pics and dev diaries.

I really doubt they'd ramp up the PR like they have been and then do another closed door presentation. I expect gameplay, pics and dev diaries.

To quote:
Appointments are one hour long, with ~45-minute theater presentation.

Make of it what you will.

Not sure what you're quoting and in what context.
What appointment?

What I am quoting is an e-mail by a pr agency that makes it possible to book for several pr showings of games at E3. One among them is TW3, though there is also Dying Light for example.
Anyway, I will quote most of the whole darn thing:

IMPORTANT NOTES:

Please read this email in full if you're scheduling appointments. If you've already scheduled an appointment for these games, please just ignore me.
Beneath each game you will find details of the appointments, as well as a contact to schedule your appointment. Please don't just email me and say, "all of them" because I'll kindly point you back to this email :). I am not booking for every client.
I cannot guarantee that we will be able to accommodate your requests; we expect massive demand for appointments with many of these titles, and it's unlikely we can fit everyone in.
So without further ado, here's what we're booking for:

CD Projekt RED - The Witcher 3
Hands-down one of the most anticipated games of the next year, this is the closing chapter in the story of Geralt of Rivia. Coming to PC, PS4 and Xbox One.

Jupiter_on_Mars

What I am quoting is an e-mail by a pr agency that makes it possible to book for several pr showings of games at E3. One among them is TW3, though there is also Dying Light for example.
Anyway, I will quote most of the whole darn thing:

IMPORTANT NOTES:

Please read this email in full if you're scheduling appointments. If you've already scheduled an appointment for these games, please just ignore me.
Beneath each game you will find details of the appointments, as well as a contact to schedule your appointment. Please don't just email me and say, "all of them" because I'll kindly point you back to this email :). I am not booking for every client.
I cannot guarantee that we will be able to accommodate your requests; we expect massive demand for appointments with many of these titles, and it's unlikely we can fit everyone in.
So without further ado, here's what we're booking for:

CD Projekt RED - The Witcher 3
Hands-down one of the most anticipated games of the next year, this is the closing chapter in the story of Geralt of Rivia. Coming to PC, PS4 and Xbox One.

What's the schedule?
Any mention of an appearance at Microsoft or Sony conferences?

What's the schedule?
Any mention of an appearance at Microsoft or Sony conferences?

No mention of the specific date and time, you only get that if you actually book an appointment.
And sadly again no, all we can do is wait and see where it pops up for the fans.

Wait, so you are surprised that they are holding a presentation for journalists at E3?

It doesn't say anywhere that it's going to be the only public showing of the game.

Yes, they did, but how is that related? They shouldn't invite journalists to a presentation this year?

Who said anything about leaving the press at home? Showing them a large section of gameplay is a great idea to keep the previews/articles rolling and it might make TW3 the best E3 game for the second year generating additional hype. From a calculated marketing standpoint it is one heck of a great plan and should not be skipped.

My annoyance is rather with the fact that I can almost guarantee that the fans will get a lot less content than those 45 minutes of behind closed door footage. Maybe that is being needy/entitled but CD Projekt seems a bit silly spouting around that they care most for their fans when it is the actual press that get the bulk of the showcasing two years in a row.

It also makes me less excited for E3 I suppose, it is hard to not get the feeling that you are getting the table scraps when the main course is served elsewhere.

Who said anything about leaving the press at home? Showing them a large section of gameplay is a great idea to keep the previews/articles rolling and it might make TW3 the best E3 game for the second year generating additional hype. From a calculated marketing standpoint it is one heck of a great plan and should not be skipped.

My annoyance is rather with the fact that I can almost guarantee that the fans will get a lot less content than those 45 minutes of behind closed door footage. Maybe that is being needy/entitled but CD Projekt seems a bit silly spouting around that they care most for their fans when it is the actual press that get the bulk of the showcasing two years in a row.

It also makes me less excited for E3 I suppose, it is hard to not get the feeling that you are getting the table scraps when the main course is served elsewhere.

Well, but that's how it works and always worked - press gets deeper insight into games(and not only games) than the usual fans - that's what press is for. They fly there to do their job and I don't have a problem with them getting something more substantial out of it than me just clicking on a youtube link on my PC.

Jupiter_on_Mars

All we know for sure is «something is happening». We don't know what, when, to whom. The email you quoted is compatible with a simultaneous or separate public showing of some sort though it's reasonable to expect it won't last 45 minutes.

Additionally, @Marcin Momot said he'll remain back in Warsaw orchestrating their online activities during E3, which means there will be online activitities worth orchestrateing. Make of it what you will.
:teeth:

Last edited:
Well, but that's how it works and always worked - press gets deeper insight into games(and not only games) than the usual fans - that's what press is for. They fly there to do their job and I don't have a problem with them getting something more substantial out of it than me just clicking on a youtube link on my PC.

It has indeed and while not expecting anything different, I find myself to be annoyed more about it than with most other games. That could be because I am looking forward to the experience so much or rather the general lack of content for the fans. It strikes a bit unbalanced when there will soon be two long press sessions that have taken place and the material for the fans is barebones to say the least.

Which brings me to @JupiteronMars. I applaud your optimism but something is a rather vague term, as has been the hype talk about E3 thus far from CD Projekt.
For all we know lots of things to see equals a new two minute trailer and a few new artworks/screenshots for the site (which would explain the online activities.

All that said, I would love to be proven wrong and will even admit so much if things turn out to be very fan friendly.

Top Bottom