What do you NOT want to see in the game?

+
So...yeah....No technology that is indistinguishable from magic type of stuff. Please keep it plausible near future type of tech.

I don't want to see Typo's in 2077...

Not sure if this has already been posted, but I really want no sudden invisible wall where the world map ends. I don't want a text saying "You shouldn't go further because this is unknown territory" like in Fallcrap.

I demand creative solutions, like canyons or buildings or something like that.

About the invisible wall thing. Been playing Rage lately and suprisingly worst thing about that game is movement or more like the level design. You can't most of the time jump over even the smallest obstacles or climb anything since you're surrounded by invisible walls that are disguised as rubble usually. Would have expected more from ID.

Not sure if this has already been posted, but I really want no sudden invisible wall where the world map ends. I don't want a text saying "You shouldn't go further because this is unknown territory" like in Fallcrap.

I demand creative solutions, like canyons or buildings or something like that.

that's something regarding action and small sections more than anything else imho, just because there are more people enjoyng shooting than exploring, and a general rule is to avoid interruption of flow. That is to say, open -void- and generally deadly spaces are avoided most of the time and replaced with bouncing stuff or liquids such as water (which may offer gameplay opporunities) and toxic/electrical/anything damaging waste.
If Night City results in an abstract thing with higher strunctures most of the people wouldn't ever bother exploring some sea or anything for long since the city is not supposed to lack interesting stuff.

To be an effective boundry, the potential of immediate death would kind of be a necessity. I think mines could be a suitable means for 'area denial', given the fact that it is their primary function after all. They could be present in certain area's of the wasteland because they were left as a remnant from a conflict of some sort, perhaps a second Claifornian Seperation/Unification War?

On a related note, Image Enhancement could be used to spot tripwires and IR/Thermal optics could spot lasers.

mines are traps, and players need to be warned about traps in general in order to avoid instant death and thus breaking the flow. Something players can build ambient puzzles with, as seen many times in half life or deus ex, something that can step on triggering different agents or something used to introduce the idea of exploding stuff that can be shot down are good ways to make use of traps. Most of the minefields in games are artificial and last a few seconds anyway, because they are created on the need with granade launchers in order to not to conflict with game mechanics such as someone's spraying or using powers like the augs mentioned

I don't dispute any of that, but the context that in which I suggested the use of minefields are as a map boundary, not for general use.

For mines in general use, there would have to be a means of identifying them by the player, so that can be avoided or defused.

well i don't mean to be picky, it's something in the realm of possibilities, but to come up with something new for everything is time consuming and all in all a minefield surrounding a whole map doesn't feel natural, risking to break immersion and thus flow (unless it's fictional stuff from Cyber books). Ofc there nothing natural in a convenient sea but the circumstances since there's nothing outside the map, while a trap is set to defend something from outsiders or hide something. Nothing stops devs to mix things up and put an area 51 kind of base somewhere while putting even a void space somewhere else and fill it with platforming stuff like cliffs leading to some cave/sewer/hideout.

Nowhere did I say anything about how much of the map to surround with a minefield. For a start, about 60% of the area immediately surrounding NC is the ocean. I am merely suggesting the possibility of using mines for area denial, rather than just cliffs and valleys, (which always makes me feel like the map is in a bowl,) or just hitting the 'imaginary force field', (which is shit.)

Throw in a couple of transit checkpoints and you at least get the impression there is more outside the confines of the map.

I was raised with the constant sound of the following statement in my ears, (read - had it beaten into me:)

"Never ASSUME anyhting. It only makes an ASS out of U and ME."

..Did your Dad actually pronounce the "anyhting"? Because amazing. "Never assume any..huh-ting!"

Oh you Euros are so quirky.

Top Bottom