Building a gaming PC

+
AFAIK, only PhysX-based features can be offloaded to a dedicated GPU. Hairworks is DirectCompute, and there is no provision for a dedicated GPU in DirectCompute.
So I guess I'll save my money and won't add a 750 Ti to my 980... There goes my hope of playing Witcher 3 in Ultra @1440p.... :sad:

I hope this Dell turns out good. They are expensive beasts.
Yup. Figured that if anyone's going to get it right it's probably Dell. But to be honest, this was still fairly "cheap" (799€) compared to LG's 34" curved. (1299€)

As I suspected the big online retailers have already started selling returned cards for cheap.

GIGABYTE GTX970 G1 reduced from 400€ to 330€, returned card no box and driver cd missing... So going to keep an eye out for cheaper returns in the next week.
I suspect next two weeks are going to be the perfect time to grab a bunch of 970's for cheap and stuff them in every PC that was considered for an upgrade anyway.

As I suspected the big online retailers have already started selling returned cards for cheap.

I've seen a few articles suggesting that'll happen.

Mine own card's probably grey market, so I'd be out of luck returning it anyway, even if I wanted to, but it'll be nice if some of those returned cards start to make their way to countries like mine :)

That's still pretty pricey for a refurbished one, considering I got mine for 359€ new last fall..

Yeah but the prices have gone up since December, 30-40€ more then when they first showed up. I suspect they'll now drop again.

Sure there are a few stores that are 10-20€ cheaper but I hate how incompetent they are. From my store I know they are a bit more pricey but even after 23 months a return is handled within 10 work days.

My current rig is built on an ASRock p67 Extreme4 Gen3 mb I got about 2 1/2 years ago. I think I'm sticking with my current cpu (i5 2500K), but I plan to upgrade to a single 970/980. Any issues I should be concerned about here or the mb as a whole?

According to this the Witcher 3's recommended specs are meant for mid-high end settings on 1080p only

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/the-w...ded-specs-are-for-mid-high-settings-at-1080p/

So this makes SLI or Crossfire setup a necessity if you're targeting max settings. I wonder if a single 980 can achieve 60 fps at max settings and AA ? They need to release requirements for ultra settings at 1080p also to make things clear for everyone.

I just hope it will have good support for crossfire setups as I cannot afford the hassle of selling my current card and getting into an Nvidia SLI setup, that will be too much for me now.

Last edited:
They said they were still optimizing Ultra, so it's still too early to state specs for it. They have said machines that run it on High now (so, above recommended) will be able to run it on Ultra.

Maximizing, meaning to run at settings that are not included in Ultra, such as Ubersampling, will need SLI or Crossfire; not even a 780Ti, Titan, or 980 will reach it.

---------- Updated at 10:20 AM ----------

My current rig is built on an ASRock p67 Extreme4 Gen3 mb I got about 2 1/2 years ago. I think I'm sticking with my current cpu (i5 2500K), but I plan to upgrade to a single 970/980. Any issues I should be concerned about here or the mb as a whole?

No useful CPU upgrade on a P67 anyway. It can handle a single PCI-e 3.0 card (at 2.0 x16, which is fine). Most recent word on the GTX 970 is "avoid". You can get an R9 290X for less.

^ Well certainly not looking to try ubersampling but I do want to try stuff like Hairworks (if it works well) and 2xMSAA if it's not too much to ask lol.

No useful CPU upgrade on a P67 anyway. It can handle a single PCI-e 3.0 card (at 2.0 x16, which is fine). Most recent word on the GTX 970 is "avoid". You can get an R9 290X for less.

So no problems for me overall, then? I can, and would rather, pay more for a 980, but I don't plan on doing this upgrade for at least the next couple of months, anyway, so I'll wait and see what happens. Thanks for the feedback :) .

Okay so this is what happened in the computer market

I went there in hopes of buying another Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X for a crossfire setup but the service tech told me that your 850w PSU might not be enough to power these two if you have a hefty system. I told him yes I do have a hefty system with 2x 1 TB HDDs, 2x 128 GB SSDs, i5 4690k (that I occasionally OC too) and R9 290, he said that it will not be enough or even if it is you will be pushing your PSU too far, I thought that he has a point specially when my PSU is quite old (It's OCZ GameXStreme 850w that I bought in 2009). So after a bit of thinking I just decided to get a GTX 980, yeah after 4 or more years of brand loyalty to AMD, it's time to see what Nvidia has in store for me.

I remember Guy mentioning somewhere that Gigabyte cards are better than MSI so I went for Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming, it's a nice card with back plate, big fans and all. Time to see how much better is GPU PhysX lol.

One thing I do really like about this card is that it's blistering fast in rendering, by rendering I mean in stuff like Blender. I render scenes in Blender as Hobby sometimes and I found CUDA to be much faster than OpenCL.

After two months I might add another of this card for 1440p setup.

TW3 better be worth it, I am investing too much for this game lol.

Last edited:
Guys, what do you think about the gtx 960? I have been considering it for my new rig, but still not sure how it compares to the gtx 770 and haven't found a good comparison yet. Is the gtx 770 somewhat better? (its only advantage I know of for now is that it has a bigger bus) Also, what do you think would the difference be in TW3? (yeah, I know that nobody can really tell till the game is out, but still, even some technical predictions would be nice)

Top Bottom