The Cooking Thread

+

The Cooking Thread

• Total voters
The Cooking Thread

So Dragon and I were talking food, as is recently our wont, and I thought there might be a place for such discussion here. Not just pics of food, (we've all seen Epic Meal time, (if not, check it out), but stuff you actually make, eat and have thoughts on.

This week we were going to make Lasagna, but since it's a deload week and because it would torment my daughter Claire, I came back from work with zucchini instead of pasta. Of course, she immediately wanted to stab me, but settled for some good elbow shots.

Hunger prevailed, ( plus dessert blackmail), and she agreed to try it. Dragon suggested moussaka, and I looked at it and wanted to do it, but I think I'll save it for when Kelly gets back from town. Also, to do it well looks like work.

What I did instead was slice up and broil the two zucchini. While broiling, I sliced up some pepperoni and put it in with olive oil and fresh garlic to saute. After everything was lightly browned, I added extra lean ground beef, (that I got in a 2 for 1 sale - how Street, eh?) and cooked it enough to leave the meat just a little pink. I tossed in some oregano, salt, black pepper and..oh yeah, Rooster sauce.

When the zucchini was done, I put down a layer of tomato sauce and some more sliced pepperoni in a casserole dish.

Then a layer of zucchini, some meatsauce and cottage cheese. Some aged cheddar cheese, grated. Repeat layer, then add a lot of parmesan, more black pepper and bake at 350 C or so.

View attachment 3429

Also, the medievalists preceded us and there is a recipes thread on the Witcher forums - http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/16555-The-Recipes-Thread?p=489449#post489449

Some good stuff there, check it out.

Attachments

• IMAG1236.jpg
    IMAG1236.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Forum veteran
Cooking? You mean that thing that the pizza and burgers places do? You silly foreigners are so quaint!

hahaha this was a tough one... occasionally i cook, but if i'm honest with myself - i really eat out more then i care to think

the turkish place has made a mint off me on their pida's, kebab's, and righteous baklava and coffee combo. The italian place is close behind with gourmet pizza's like pumpkin and fetta veggie ones, or lamb and blue cheese or chicken and camembert on creme fraish thingy.

Funnly enough when i do tend to cook for myself it's more like Ruskie Pierogi or Bigos stuff like that, the food that makes me happy most of all, omg smoked sausages with eggs hardboiled then peeled cut in half and fried with the slices sausage with mayonnaise and tomato sauce on the side

I really should cook more... but gah it takes sooo much time, come on right, where are teh freakign food cubes already right.

[This week we were going to make Lasagna, but since it's a deload week and because it would torment my daughter Claire, I came back from work with zucchini instead of pasta.
:[

I never put vegetables in my lasagna. I may put carrots in the ragu but only when I got them, otherwise it's just plain tomato sauce. With big pieces of meat (either deer or hare meat but pig is the most common one), oil, lots of pepper, herbs. Make 3 layers or ragu, fresh pasta foils and besciamella and you get a queen lasagna.

Cheese goes with rucola.

One thing I wish to cook is the Gyoza/Jiaozi thing

Last edited:
One thing I wish to cook is the Gyoza/Jiaozi thing

Oh god, yes. We had some of these in Shanghai! Utterly, totally addictive. We've had a few since gettingback, just not as good.

You must try this and relate how it worked out, with pics!

I tried them at the international restaurant of Barcellona (can't remember the english word) along with pizza cones and lattuce meatbags. A weird place about micro portions and HUGE 14 euros worth drinks. I' ll attempt to all this sooner or later

Last edited:
Of course you primitives have a Recipe thread already. Amazing. No hygiene, but good food. Pfeh.

Editing my first post to link to it, because Punks Steal.

OK. Gonna ask here, because I end up asking this sometime in any international forum.

Does anyone have a good German-style gyros recipe? I used to have the most wonderful gyros in the world in restaurants in Dusseldorf. They had presumably localised, because it wasn't like any gyros anywhere else, or any recipe I've ever found on the web.

Sorry Dragonbird i only have a greek gyro recipe, i'll ask my gf to send it over tonight and i'll post up a little later if you like - it's pretty good, i like it :)

OK. Gonna ask here, because I end up asking this sometime in any international forum.

Does anyone have a good German-style gyros recipe? I used to have the most wonderful gyros in the world in restaurants in Dusseldorf. They had presumably localised, because it wasn't like any gyros anywhere else, or any recipe I've ever found on the web.

Wouldn't that be a doner kebab? Lamb on a turning spit, served in a pitta with salad and chilli/harrisa sauce.

If so check out this:

Interesting, but no. It was the souvlaki-style rather than the doner-style, smaller pieces of meat marinaded and then cooked on skewers rather than the large spit. I think that the ones we had were usually based on pork, but I think we had it at least once with chicken.

It's the marinade they used that I've been trying to source ever since - it had a similar flavour in every German restaurant we ate it in, but it's not the same as I've come across in any other country. (Surprisingly enough, the closest to it that I've ever tasted was at a Greek restaurant here, in the Philippines, but they won't share the recipe)

As I live away from my family I cook for myself, but it's never anything more than heating up frozen fish or whatever for 20 mins.

As I live away from my family I cook for myself, but it's never anything more than heating up frozen fish or whatever for 20 mins.

I..guess...that's cooking. More like eating cheap takeout you re-warm though. At least slice up some tomatoes and sprinkle them with black pepper and maybe a bit of garlic first!

Ya I should probably eat more freash things, if for my health at least. At least I buy plenty of frozen veg :p lol

Top Bottom