Plot significant Weapons

+
Plot significant Weapons

It seems in each game so far, we've found 1 steel sword that has significance to the witcher novels, and one silver sword which is important in terms of the game's plot. These usually end up also being the second best weapons in the game with the Mahakaman sihil surpassed by ard'aenye and Aerondight by the moonblade in the Witcher 1. and in the second with Gwyhyr being outmatched by most weapons in Chapter 3, and Addan deith being outmatched by a number of others (not even counting the dark weapon sets).

What importance do you guys think these plot significant weapons will have in the Witcher 3 if we managed to hang on to all of them, and what are the two special swords you think we might find in the Wild Hunt? I'm pretty sure the Sihil and Gwyhyr were the only swords mentioned in the books, so it'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

It seems in each game so far, we've found 1 steel sword that has significance to the witcher novels, and one silver sword which is important in terms of the game's plot. These usually end up also being the second best weapons in the game with the Mahakaman sihil surpassed by ard'aenye and Aerondight by the moonblade in the Witcher 1. and in the second with Gwyhyr being outmatched by most weapons in Chapter 3, and Addan deith being outmatched by a number of others (not even counting the dark weapon sets).

What importance do you guys think these plot significant weapons will have in the Witcher 3 if we managed to hang on to all of them, and what are the two special swords you think we might find in the Wild Hunt? I'm pretty sure the Sihil and Gwyhyr were the only swords mentioned in the books, so it'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

It makes sense to reward the more enterprising players with better swag that the one you get on the main quest.

No idea... Most times I stick with the weapons and armor I like most, or think that they are plot-important. Even if I get something better afterwards.

I usually stick with whatever gear looks the best for as long as I can. I also always hold on to Aerondight, I hope we'll have it in TW3. Gonna try holding on to the Mahakaman rune sihll for my next playthrough as well, maybe we can give it to Zoltan at some point?

I just hope that the best swords are not some kind of fancy over the top jagged ones. Nobody would use a sword like that. Every sword Geralt uses should be 100% functional. Design should be 100% realistic imo without any over-the-top fantasy involved. In swords, visual understatement is king.

I just hope that the best swords are not some kind of fancy over the top jagged ones. Nobody would use a sword like that. Every sword Geralt uses should be 100% functional. Design should be 100% realistic imo without any over-the-top fantasy involved. In swords, visual understatement is king.
agreed, and they seem to be going in a more realistic direction based on the artwork and screenshots we've seen of the game so far. The only "fantastic" looking sword I liked was gwyhyr, and that was because it resembled a very understated flamberge scaled down to longsword proportions, which fit the description from the books pretty perfectly.

Well, in the premiere gameplay trailer Geralt had one of these jagged swords. It's not completely over the top but it's also not a very functional sword. Due to the jags one blade of the sword is less functional. At the same time it's not some kind of sabre with a curved blade (which would be the only sword design to make sense with only one sharp blade). On top of that the jags destroy the the balance of the sword. I hope fancy but unrealistic swords like that won't at least be among the powerful weapons if anything.

Last edited:
Serrated swords aren't unknown in history. Seem to have been fairly common in India. Not so much in Europe, though.

Serrated swords aren't unknown in history. Seem to have been fairly common in India. Not so much in Europe, though.

True but it depends on the size, form and the location of the serrations/cuts. A realistic sawtooth has has serrations with a limited depth and size to offer a lot of seperated points of contact without taking away to much material and therefore stability of the sword. It works as a crossover between a normal slashing edge and a saw. A serrated blade has a faster cut than a plain edge but it's less precise. It's also harder to sharpen but it usually stay sharp for a longer time.

That's an historical Indian sawtooth:

View attachment 4991

But Geralt's sword in the trailer has deep cuts with straight lines which are only at the lower side of the edge at the grossguard. It has no real functionality at this location even with smaller cuts. It's just for the fancy look imo...

Attachments

• ph-0.jpg
    ph-0.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 492
Last edited:
Yeah, it is pretty clear that the modeller didn't look at what actual serrations look like. I was just saying that the concept itself isn't necessarily bad.

I hated the jagged blades in TW2, they looked terrible. >_>

I like all my blades clean and blade-like. A saw is a butcher's weapon (though Geralt does have that moniker.)
What I mean by "Clean" blades is something like this:

Obviously, those swords (particularly the one on the left) are somewhat too gaudy for the Witcher world (though the one on the right I could see working. It looks quite similar to the Vran sword from TW2).
The blade is a single, clean line (curvature is fine). It's probably just my aesthetic value, but I think it looks terrible when long bladed weapons have multiple jagged edges in them.

Guest 2013460

Obviously, those swords (particularly the one on the left) are somewhat too gaudy for the Witcher world (though the one on the right I could see working. It looks quite similar to the Vran sword from TW2).
The blade is a single, clean line (curvature is fine). It's probably just my aesthetic value, but I think it looks terrible when long bladed weapons have multiple jagged edges in them.

There's only one sword in that image, it is shown from the front and from the side.

I actually kind of liked the jagged blades in TW2, but I agree that it's completely pointless and would actually weaken the structural integrity of the blade.

Not a particular fan of the Flamberge style blades though, but I can't complain if Ciri's sword does indeed look like that, lore-accuracy yo!

There's only one sword in that image, it is shown from the front and from the side.

Oh, you're right. xD

I guess the second perspective wasn't colored in so it threw me off slightly. Still, aside from the weird spikes in the center of the blade, it looks like it *could* be a sword in its own right. The point still stands, I just seem like an idiot. >_>

Top Bottom