Dragon Age: Inquisition

+
Funny.

I remember seeing lots of this type of discussion on Bioware forums, difference being that they were about the Witcher. Nudity, presentation of sex, set protagonist, women characters you name it, it was there.

The way I see it, it's hard to convince someone to change his/her opinion about something. Once the mind is set, it's the end. And so often it's the most minor and pointless of things! Is the way Vivienne dresses really gonna decide whether someone plays the game or not?

Among other factors such as a cliche'd big bad antagonist, way too much combat making enemies feel like a grind, lifeless setting that's mostly empty, illogical and nonsensical plot that you could drive a tractor through, Biowares blatant ego stroking of the protagonist by making everybody else incompetent as usual, masses of loot making it valueless etcetera. NPC's being idiots is just part of the problem.

But i'm going to bugger off from this thread as Cormacolindor and others seem upset at any criticism of Bioware's game.

You don't get it, it's not the criticism that makes me upset, rather the blatant hate for anything BioWare and blowing every little thing out of proportion. The examples I've provided in case of TW is to show that it is not as perfect as you think and to bring a bit of balance to the discussion.

Let's make another comparison.

1. The villains are a totally different thing. DA:O has Sauron-like villains while TW has more realistic villains. Not necessarily better or worse,. if such villains were not good, people would not read LOTR anymore.

2. The combat in TW2 is easily the worst thing about the game. It's boring, clunky at times and enemies are simply not fun to fight, it feels like a chore. It is also not really comparable with the party based combat of DA:O, which also has its problems, such as poor feedback and lack of oomph.

3. Exactly how is the setting lifeless?

4. We know diddly squat about the plot atm. The Archdemon plot worked in DA:O because he didn't make long and boring monologues. He is just a plot device and doesn't get in my way of exploring the world and cultivating relationships with my party members which is why I am interested in DA to begin with. I have totally different expectations from TW.

5. I've already talked about the characters...won't do so again.

6. Loot isn't very valuabe in TW2 either, again the gameplay feels like a chore and quite pointless. The ONLY modern game that has gameplay, story AND an interesting world is Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Witcher 2 only has story and world.

Last edited:
Welcome to gaming community. If you like something that I don't, then you are wrong and I will make 1000 posts about it.

A post More than one post has been deleted. You have already been advised to end this discussion and return to the topic. No further attacks on forum members, on EITHER side of this particular argument, will be permitted.

Last edited:
I actually enjoy both the Witcher series and games made by Bioware and other developers as well . Bioware and CDPR are two totally different companies each with their own vision of how they want their games to be . Bioware is known for in my opinion games where the player "Saves the world" and there`s nothing wrong with that as it gives the common folk that feeling of being a hero all the while of leading a team to achieve "your" victory . CDPR has thus far created games with a pre-fined character with his background story already intact and definitely not a world savior but more of a common man which I think a lot of people can identify with as well .

People`s tastes in game are as varied as the food we eat . Are the witcher games made for everyone ? No . Are the games made by Bioware made for everyone ? Again no . I for one would rather they not be like carbon copies of each either as well . If they were then what would be the sense of buying one over the other . But I think that as a community we should be able to see the strengths and weaknesses form both sides of the games without taking it out on each other . So what if I don`t like game XYZ made by ABC , doesn`t make me any less of a person .

Last edited:
Well i'm sorry that my posts offended anyone Tommy and anyone else, I was merely pointing out what I thought were valid and logical criticisms of a company that is producing ever more poor quality, streamlined and dumbed down games in my view. I honestly thought that since we have dozens of threads criticising the Witcher, a few well reasoned criticisms in one thread about Bioware would be allright, i've never said the Witcher is perfect or been sparing in my criticism of the poorer aspects of it.

Personally I prefer the nuanced, realistic and well written antagonists of the Witcher rather than cackling big bads. I prefer the exciting and fast paced, edge of the seat combat of Assassins of Kings where one has to be on guard at all times rather than letting the AI fight and ocassionally popping a cooldown. I prefer the bustling living and breathing population centres like Vizima and Flotsam, where the streets are crowded and folk are seen going about their day to day business rather than stood in the same spot for years at a time. And of course I prefer playing as Geralt, as pre-defined characters allow far more roleplaying in my view than the rather ill defined and generically bland player created ones.

This being said I shall try to accept that what I see as poor and degenerate elements may be attractive to others from now on, and I apologise to the mods if I caused you any bother.

Last edited:
Well, I don't think DAI will ever come close to TW games in terms of realism and immersion, with real choices and non-cliche, non-archetypical but I don't think Bioware even intends their games to be this way. They are good in making high fantasy power trips, but even in this category some games are better than others. I sure hope DAI will be a better one, and not another atrocity similar to DA2. As for a real mature dark fantasy, most likely we all will have to wait for TW3. But DAI made right still may be enjoyable in its own right. I am actually looking forward to playing it because I want to see what Bioware learned from their poor practice of hasty game design and poor story-telling they demonstrated with DA2 and ME3.

Dragon Age 3: Inquistion Coming to E3, Here's What to Expect
Possible cut scenes, story options, and conversations will be shown in June.

New Dragon Age: Inquisition footage will be shown off at this year's E3 in June, developer BioWare has confirmed.

Executive producer Mark Darrah commented:
Started looking at what we are going to show at #E3. There is a lot of game to sort through #DAI
— Mark Darrah (@BioMarkDarrah)

This is a special episode of Turn Based, The RPG Podcast as we respond to an open audition from Bioware to be cast in Dragon Age: Inquisition. The audition is called "Take your place in the Inquisition" and it's open to all fans, so feel free to submit auditions of your own. On the show both me and David Jagneaux read both of the scripts posted on the audition page. One script is focused on a villager, and the second one script is focused on someone known as Sceneschal. Me David took it a step further and even read the Inquisitor's lines to make each audition a fully fleshed out piece of dialogue.
http://thekoalition.com/2014/03/tur...st-31-we-audition-for-dragon-age-inquisition/

RSIK - Please don't spam posts

Last edited by a moderator:
Some new screens and info, from a german magazine:

My german isn't good so I found a translation of it:
The new elf mage is called Solas, he is an apostate and a "somniari ("dreamer") who can enter the fade and others' dreams.
The troll/giant thing can throw rocks.
Dragons will have weak spots and will wander around interesting spots.
There is a new angle (// third person view).
There shouldn't be "big cities".
Fauna will be generated procedurally.
The Inquisitor will be able to open accesses to the fade and summoning demons for him (which is curious lore-wise, but whatever).

Top Bottom