The Witcher 3: Two Areas Are Over 52 Square Miles by Themselves?

+
When a couple of days ago went a rumor that CDPR needs to rewrite REDEngine from scratch (hence the delay), CDPR immediately made a denying statement. The fact they are being quiet about the Sizegate might indicate they don't necessarily want to deny it (question is: why?).
0_o I never heard that rumour, where did you get that?

Well, let's hope @Marcin Momot chimes in soon. It's been over a week now.

That’s correct. The world in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will be huge and full of interesting places to explore. It will be up to the player to decide where he would like to go, climb or sail. Please keep one thing in mind however - this area is for our programmers and location artists to work with so the explorable terrain will differ slightly because we need to fill this world with all the awesome content for you to check out. The world is gigantic, with interesting quests and events just waiting for you every few steps and believable characters living there. We simply cannot wait to show you more of it.

That’s correct. The world in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will be huge and full of interesting places to explore. It will be up to the player to decide where he would like to go, climb or sail. Please keep one thing in mind however - this area is for our programmers and location artists to work with so the explorable terrain will differ slightly because we need to fill this world with all the awesome content for you to check out. The world is gigantic, with interesting quests and events just waiting for you every few steps and believable characters living there. We simply cannot wait to show you more of it.

Took you long enough, but gratitude for the response :p

...We simply cannot wait to show you more of it.

You're joking, right? It's awesome enough that you *do* answer our incessant yapping on these forums. Not many developers do that. :cheers:
Well, Marcin is, as you may know, a Community Manager for CDPR, so it's his job to talk to the community.

Assorted pile of thoughts:
- What does "20% bigger than Skyrim" mean? Is it about vanilla Skyrim, or with all the DLCs? Is it only about the overworld, or all worldspaces combined (interiors, dungeons, Sovngard, whatnot)?
- How do you measure a world size, what is the point of reference? Moreover, what's the point of reference that is consistent and universal for worlds in various games running on various engines and made by various teams? (Hint: there is none.)
- Perhaps the huge world size was something CDPR planned to reveal during the proper marketing campaign, you know, to *shock* people. This might be why they're so quiet now.
- When a couple of days ago went a rumor that CDPR needs to rewrite REDEngine from scratch (hence the delay), CDPR immediately made a denying statement. The fact they are being quiet about the Sizegate might indicate they don't necessarily want to deny it (question is: why?).

You know that rewriting RedEngine 3 will take years and not months, right?

What I understood - The areas are that big in size but that's the total size without counting any restrictions, I suppose it's like the empty grid size which then gets populated with terrain, content, etc.

@Marcin Momot So all that "20% bigger than Skyrim" goes out the window, basically? It is now four times the size? Even if we're talking about the unpopulated grid without necessary barriers and obstacles.

It would seem so given his wording in the previous posts (I doubt that he is allowed to give numbers), I am honestly starting to wonder if we truly know anything about the game and what it contains at the moment (besides the obvious things).

What I understood - The areas are that big in size but that's the total size without counting any restrictions, I suppose it's like the empty grid size which then gets populated with terrain, content, etc.

I think his comment was actually made regarding this:

Then you and I have different definitions of open world.

Devs have said there won't be any barriers like in TW2. "If you see a mountain in the distance, you will be able to climb it" and other things like that are often spoken in interviews, I doubt it's all fluff.

Last edited:
CDPR is like the seek for knowledge. When you get an answer you are left with more questions than understanding on a certain matter.

@ReptilePZ I think it was a reply to encompass the whole thread.

And I think Sid meant this part in particular:
Marcin Momot said:
Please keep one thing in mind however - this area is for our programmers and location artists to work with so the explorable terrain will differ slightly because we need to fill this world with all the awesome content for you to check out.

Last edited by a moderator:
My thoughts are that since there are 3 years and 3 months separating the release of Skyrim and the estimated release of W3, it's therefore acceptable to say that being only 20% bigger isn't exactly as groundbreaking as one might wish, and that it makes sense to hope for something more awe-inspiring. With over 3 years separating, I think most gamers expect a much bigger improvement than "merely" 20% bigger, and maybe CDPR also wants to set a higher standard. Maybe.

Just to clarify: I realize that even a map that's 20% smaller than Skyrim's can feel better, since it all depends on what you fill the area with and how, and I know that all talk about the map turning out to be much bigger than previously announced is merely speculation, without any official confirmation.

Personally, I think you'd have to be a wizard to make something as gigantic as the calculations here are hinting at, while still keeping the top-notch quality. Not that I don't want to be proven wrong, but I'm (very) skeptical.

Last edited:
I don't know how this was calculated. From a technical perspective, you can not just compare the scale of two different games, it's more complicated than that, lots of math.
However, I find this very concerning. Skyrim was already too big to be filled with content efficiently.

Top Bottom