Why is the term PC used to describe Windows by those who know better?

+
@dragonbird

The point that Gilrond started is more about being a responsible communicator and not misusing technical terms. If we keep doing this we're not doing people a favor by perpetuating a stereotype.

This is the age of political correctness and as much as it interrupts traditional ways of speaking and/or writing, we have to accept that the use of language establishes a shared and likely skewed perception of reality. For instance, not all Linux users are tech savvy and they might not automatically assume a game is Windows only if so far all their games are on Linux. The tech savvy Linux user myth can't be generalized in modern times, when even my mom uses Linux.

I agree that the majority of gaming computers run Windows, but we don't want to keep gamers in the shadows of ignorance forever, do we? Nothing wrong with saying Windows PC instead.

@Costin

We have previously discussed the technical merits of Linux for gaming, please refer to the other threads. In essence, these merits are a subset of the reasons why Linux is used in over 95% of the world's supercomputers: efficiency, modularity, reliability, customization. You want a specialized gaming kernel with optimized memory allocation, low overhead and rock solid stability? Linux.

Last edited:
@dragonbird

The point that Gilrond started is more about being a responsible communicator and not misusing technical terms. If we keep doing this we're not doing people a favor by perpetuating a stereotype.

Yes, you nailed it right. Assuming that "people will understand" when perpetuating usage of incorrect terminology is not the right approach. As well as perpetuating a stereotype that all Linux users are technically adept. The current trend I observe however is positive - i.e. more and more developers drop usage of PC = Windows in their talk and press releases (see examples above from Humble Bundle, Deep Silver and etc.). It's a sign of growing size of Linux gaming. In case of CDPR they'll probably break their old habit with releases of their own games (like TW2) for Linux and general Linux support on GOG which is going to happen soon.

Last edited:
@dragonbird

This is the age of political correctness and as much as it interrupts traditional ways of speaking and/or writing, we have to accept that the use of language establishes a shared and likely skewed perception of reality. For instance, not all Linux users are tech savvy and they might not automatically assume a game is Windows only if so far all their games are on Linux. The tech savvy Linux user myth can't be generalized in modern times, when even my mom uses Linux.

I agree that the majority of gaming computers run Windows, but we don't want to keep gamers in the shadows of ignorance forever, do we? Nothing wrong with saying Windows PC instead.

Well, fair enough. Gilrond actually suggested calling it "Windows", presumably on the assumption that all of those who use Windows smartphones would be tech savvy enough to know it didn't mean them, but describing it as "Windows PC" would be a compromise.

I think that Windows users in general would be tech savvy enough to know that they still need to check the specs, to make sure that it runs on the version of Windows that they have (for example, 32-bit Windows XP). Personally, I think that you're probably wrong about Linux users, as I think they would also have sufficient tech savvy to know they need to check, but if you think it would be a problem for them, then fair enough.

AGHH.
A reasonable conclusion. A reasonable suggestion. Maturity abounds. Ridicule is non-existent.

Gilrond, you have deeply disappointed me, son. Me and Other-Reptile both.

A confession - I almost always say "Windows" not PC. NOT because I think PC is anything other than stupidly dominant, but because for years I knew Mac users and I had to learn to be clear. Also because it let me say, "Windows' with that bitter, spitting contempt everyone in Windows IT learns. 'Windows." Pppt.

Sard got a new toy.
I've fixed him now. The process was remarkably similar to getting the dog fixed.

Dangerous process between moderators....

Well, to answer the original question, I imagine the term PC is used because it's better understood by non-techy people. From my (limited) interaction with that strange tribe I gather that they oftentimes confuse things like Windows, Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer, etc. Mac vs PC seems to be the distinction they understand but saying Windows is bound to cause some blank stares.

Top Bottom