New to The Witcher

+
New to The Witcher

I'm planning on purchasing The Witcher 3 because everything that I've seen has been amazing. Then comes the news of the 16 free DLC content! Definitely can't pass this up now. In today's world of releasing unfinished games only to have the other portions of the game available through paid DLC's, this game stands out from the rest. CD Projekt Red has probably made me a lifetime supporter of their games.

However, my question is, would I need to purchase the 1st and 2nd iterations of The Witcher in order to fully understand the story?
Is it only available in PC's? or would they release 1 and 2 for the ps4?

Thank you for your help.

Welcome Lesta. Always nice to see new people joining.

To fully understand there's no way around it. Not only are the two previous games required for a complete comprehension of the plot and the characters, but so are the preceding books.

That being said, CDPR repeatedly stated that TW3 is a standalone game and that they're keeping in mind that they may be newcomers to the franchise they'll need to bring up to speed. A common speculation in the community is that they'll probably use the tutorial section not just to introduce players to the mechanics but also newcomers to the story and the background.

TW1 is available only on PC. TW2 is available on PC as well as XBox 360. CDPR don't plan on transferring them to the new consoles. After TW3 they're turning their attention to their next new game, Cyberpunk 2077.

(Also, if you plan on purchasing the games on PC, I recommend doing it via GOG.com rather than steam, since GOG and CDPR are connected and purchasing from that site aids CDPR more - just if you want to give them a little nod as a fan)

Hope this clarifies :)

And with that out of the way, I'll take the opportunity to highly recommend both the books and the previous games. The secondary reason is because having such a vast background understanding will probably make TW3 all the more powerful to you. As an anecdote, I read the books after playing the first game and falling in love with the franchise. After finishing them, just the title of TW3 ("Wild Hunt") made me look at it in a completely different and more profound way. After the books I understood just how much weight stands behind those two words alone, while before I just thought of them as some random fantasy trope.

I then replayed the first game, after the books, and while the first playthrough was still amazing, in the second I felt significantly more connected. It's not that I didn't understand the plot when I played before the books, but playing it after reading makes you catch all sorts of nuances that you have no way of noticing before, which make the experience much more enjoyable.

Honestly, how many games in the industry enjoy such a deep and quality background? It's a shame to miss it, for anyone who's dedicated to making the most out of stories.

I don't want to overwhelm, of course! This shouldn't be a chore and you know best how much time you can, or want, to dedicate. That's why reading the books and playing the games for a richer TW3 experience is just a secondary reason. The primary reason is, well... because they're both awesome. Really. I started reading the books for the sake of the game and very early on found myself enraptured regardless of the games. And the games themselves are also stunning, with unique atmosphere and meaningful consequences to difficult decisions that very few RPGs in particular and games in general manage to mimic. Not to mention the lack of black-or-white dilemmas that make you heavily consider each decision.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/16494-Our-Community-Fan-Translations

That thread in our Community section has fan translations of the few books which aren't yet translated to English. I'll stop at this point because I feel I'm being a bit too preachy, but if your curiosity is piqued we'll be happy to give you more information and some guidance about the order to tackle each piece in this franchise :)

Last edited:
Welcome young witcher! :)

If you do decide to give the previous games/books a try, you will no doubt enjoy them, and as @eliharel, I'd highly recommend it. Not saying you won't be able to enjoy W3 without them, but it just adds that extra layer of awesome and understanding to the plot and what drives Geralt to do what he does.

Really hope you enjoy your stay here.

Last edited:
Thank you all for a warm welcome! I gave REDpoints and hoping those are good things? If it means something bad I'll take back the REDpoints! haha.

I'll definitely look into reading those books. I just bookmarked it! And maybe I'll try 1 & 2 before 3 comes out. Thanks again!

You know, if you really can't play the previous games, you can always watch playthroughs on YT, sure it's not like the "real thing" but at least it's something, right?

Thank you all for a warm welcome! I gave REDpoints and hoping those are good things? If it means something bad I'll take back the REDpoints! haha.

I'll definitely look into reading those books. I just bookmarked it! And maybe I'll try 1 & 2 before 3 comes out. Thanks again!

If you're going to read the books (which I highly recommend), keep in mind the correct order (which coincides with the chronological order) in which to read them, since it might be a bit confusing. Here is the full chronological order, the plot of the games starts after the plot of the last book ends:

Books:

1. The Last Wish
2. Sword of Destiny
3. Blood of Elves
4. Times of Contempt
5. Baptism of Fire
6. The Tower of the Swallow
7. The Lady of the Lake

Games:

8. The Witcher
9. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
10. The WItcher 3: Wild Hunt

@ All
What they said :p

I would also like to add that if you don't get a chance to play the previous instalments you shouldn't worry much.TW3 will have an introductory phase (something like ME2/3 or dialogue based like KOTOR 2.Not clarifed yet) in which you will be briefed about past events and you will also decided what Gerlat's choices were in TW1/TW2.The ingame journal will also provide you with a plethora of information from both the games and books so you are pretty much covered lorewise.

As for the books,well,I highly recomend that you read them.I promis that you won't regret it ;) As @eliharel mentioned earlier we have most of the books here on the forum so you don't have to go far or jump through hoops for them.

Edit:
You know, if you really can't play the previous games, you can always watch playthroughs on YT, sure it's not like the "real thing" but at least it's something, right?
^The bear has a point.Most problems in this era can be solved by Let's Plays,yours included.

Last edited:
Dang, you guys already said everything there is to say. I personally played TW 1 then TW 2 I preordered as it was coming out just a few months after I finished TW1. Then after having played vanilla Witcher 2, WItcher 2 Enhanced Edition came out, so I replayed that. Then I heard about The Witcher 3 and I had to read the books to get to know all of the story behind the games. Basically you will feel a lot more enriched and like Kinley said: it will make you understand the characters probably better what drives them to do the things they do. And you might be able to spot some references here and there. You will meet characters in TW 3 from the books as well. Basically a lot of characters from the books are in The Witcher series, so it will definately make you even more excited. I'm currently playing through the witcher 2 for a third time and enjoying it very much.

Top Bottom