Dragon Age: Inquisition

+
lol try harder what MMO gameplay?
Bioware definitely did some controversial stuff in the past but I'm playing DA:I right now and its definitely their best game so far
this kind of unwarranted hate is just annoying

It´s not hate at all. I actually said I want to play the game. But several reviews and comments I´ve been reading agree that the game definitely has a MMO-ish feel about it, and that it actually picks up the pace after about 15-20 hs of not-too-fun grind.

Well, at least you'll get to play it. A friend of mine who really wanted this to be good has all but declared war on Bioware because he couldnt;t get it to run. At the time I was jaded from the early part of the game and told him he wasn't missing out. Now I don't have the heart to tell him he was right and that I like the game. Poor kid.

Lol true. Even if I have to wait another month........ (just the thought is making me want 2 cry) at least I will eventually get the chance. And it will be on my new gaming pc so I won't have to deal with ugly low quality graphics.

LOL why didn't it run for him? He should have just waited a while bc patches/fixes are coming out all the time even if not many of them are official bioware ones yet.

Trying to fight dragon at level 9. Bad idea. LOL. Dodged those fireballs like a boss though as I ran with my tail between my legs. That dragon is incredible though. Amazing.

---------- Updated at 02:45 PM ----------

Lol true. Even if I have to wait another month........ (just the thought is making me want 2 cry) at least I will eventually get the chance. And it will be on my new gaming pc so I won't have to deal with ugly low quality graphics.

LOL why didn't it run for him? He should have just waited a while bc patches/fixes are coming out all the time even if not many of them are official bioware ones yet.
I don't know why honestly, I didn't really pay much attention to what he said. Just read the messages on my phone, threw in a comment and went back to playing.

I wrote a short review on metacritics and copy/paste it here for people who consider to buy the game. I have played about 25 hours so far. It's completely spoiler free.

Story:
A typical bioware/fantasy story. You are the chosen hero and have to save the world from the big bad evil. A story that has been told thousand times and will be told thousand times more. While the story is generic als always, the execution has been good so far. There are barely any twists or surprises (finished about 60% of the story) so far, but the presentation is good. I don't want to spoil anything so I won't got deeper into it. 7/10

Gameplay:
Overall I like the combat system. My fear was that the flashiness of the attacks would be immersion breaking, but I quickly habituated to it. I would have prefered a more "realistic" look first, but Dragon Age Inquisition doesn't try to be realisitc, so i think it fits the setting. I remember Bioware saying that Dragon Age want's to have a mature, dark and gritty series like of Game of Thrones before they released Origins,. I think they gave this up. Dragon Age Inquisition is 90% high fantasy (Lord of the Rings), so I can live with a unrealistic and flashy combat. Another point is the controls. I'm playing it with keyboard and mouse. There are some problems with it. Tactical camera doesn't work well, because you can't zoom out as much as it would be needed. Another problem is there is no auto attack. If you switch your characters outside of the tactical combat, your previous character will stop to attack. You should play with a controller, if you want to enjoy the game more. 6/10

Graphics:
They graphics are great fo a (multi region) big open world game. The landsacpe looks fantastic. There are only two problems here. First the face animations look bad and some of the faces look like their are made out of plastic. Secondly the walk animations for female characters in cutscenes are awkward. They have this typical bioware gorilla-men walk. Another point is the immersion of the world. The camps/cities (you can only visit a small area of a city) feel lifeless. Other games (witcher 2 for example) manage to give their citizens a daily routine. Why can't bioware do the same. Why are 90% of the people just standing there and doing nothing? It's kirkwall from Dragon Age 2 all over again. 7/10 (because of the lifeless camps/cities, otherwise it would be 9/10)

Sound:
Sound effects and music are great. Voice acting in my language (german) is decent. Don't know about the englisgh version. What I don't like is the way the people in Thedas are talking. Everybody is speaking in the same well educated way. No matter if you talk to a mage, who studies his whole live or some peasent, who probably can't even write. They all talk in the same way. That's a bit immersion breaking for me, considering thedas was highly inspired by the european middle ages. 8/10

Questdesign.
That's my main complain. It's horrible. For every interesting main quest you have to do 9 pointless and boring fetch quests. You are the LEADER of a important faction. Why do I permanently have to be deliver boy for some peasents? Why do I have to kill 10x of this, bring 10x of that? Looking at the hinderlands map I felt like I was playing Assassins Creed. 3/10

Characters: Well done Bioware. Most of the Characters are interesting. I don't like the look of most of the female characters, but that's my personal problem. But they are unique and have a lot to tell about their past, motivations and problems. 9/10

Miscellaneous: positive: - big (multi region) open world with a lot of stuff to do (if you like mmo- style quests) -choices and consequences ( can't tell how much they matter yet) -difficulty is well balanced (playing on hard) -combo system - a LOT of conversations - two voice actors for each gender - extensive character creator - a lot of customization -Skyhold and the possibility to change it's look - being the leader of a powerful organisation is unique in rpgs - extensive crafting system

negative: - a lot of bugs: Some serious clipping issues. The voice of my inquisitor changed at a certain point of the game. Other (minor) glitches - hair looks awful. No long hair in the game. - Barely any reaction to you actions (I'm closing a breech and fighting demons in a small camp and nobody cares about it) - no attribute points - a LOT less skills than in Origins or even Dragon Age 2 - No punishment if you die - Some serious problems with the quality of writing

After the first 25 hours, the game is a 7.5 for me. Depending on how the story continues it could get a 8. Unfortunaly i'm not only rating the game, but the whole product.
EA/Bioware Anti- Consumer policy: - Origins (DRM) - Denuvo (DRM) - First Story DLC XboX One time exclusive - Xbox One/ EA Access exclusive early access - Not moddable game engine - Different ingame content depending on the game version you buy - Different release days depending on the region you live - microtransactions - 2.5 points
Overall: 5/10

Last edited:
I'm loving this crafting system. Hunting animals and ores for the parts to weapons and clothes. I'm glad that rogues aren't the only ones that get coats. I'm getting a heavy armor variant of what I have now except with a coat. Want to hunt dragonlings for their parts to make it red, but the goat ram things provide resistance to frost for a coat, which to me is much more useful, until I start fighting dragons again. Still comes out as a black trenchcoat with the metal scale sleeves showing, so that's still sick. Gonna deck my party out in fly gear and upgraded weapons before I advance in the game. Good fun since every ore has a different color/tint, even on weapons and their hilts n' such.

I wrote a short review on metacritics and copy/paste it here for people who consider to buy the game. I have played about 25 hours so far. It's completely spoiler free.

Story:
A typical bioware/fantasy story. You are the chosen hero and have to save the world from the big bad evil. A story that has been told thousand times and will be told thousand times more. While the story is generic als always, the execution has been good so far. There are barely any twists or surprises (finished about 60% of the story) so far, but the presentation is good. I don't want to spoil anything so I won't got deeper into it. 7/10

Gameplay:
Overall I like the combat system. My fear was that the flashiness of the attacks would be immersion breaking, but I quickly habituated to it. I would have prefered a more "realistic" look first, but Dragon Age Inquisition doesn't try to be realisitc, so i think it fits the setting. I remember Bioware saying that Dragon Age want's to have a mature, dark and gritty series like of Game of Thrones before they released Origins,. I think they gave this up. Dragon Age Inquisition is 90% high fantasy (Lord of the Rings), so I can live with a unrealistic and flashy combat. Another point is the controls. I'm playing it with keyboard and mouse. There are some problems with it. Tactical camera doesn't work well, because you can't zoom out as much as it would be needed. Another problem is there is no auto attack. If you switch your characters outside of the tactical combat, your previous character will stop to attack. You should play with a controller, if you want to enjoy the game more. 6/10

Graphics:
They graphics are great fo a (multi region) big open world game. The landsacpe looks fantastic. There are only two problems here. First the face animations look bad and some of the faces look like their are made out of plastic. Secondly the walk animations for female characters in cutscenes are awkward. They have this typical bioware gorilla-men walk. Another point is the immersion of the world. The camps/cities (you can only visit a small area of a city) feel lifeless. Other games (witcher 2 for example) manage to give their citizens a daily routine. Why can't bioware do the same. Why are 90% of the people just standing there and doing nothing? It's kirkwall from Dragon Age 2 all over again. 7/10 (because of the lifeless camps/cities, otherwise it would be 9/10)

Sound:
Sound effects and music are great. Voice acting in my language (german) is decent. Don't know about the englisgh version. What I don't like is the way the people in Thedas are talking. Everybody is talking in the same well educated way. No matter if you talk to a mage, who studies his whole live or some peasent, who probably can't even write. They all talk in the same way. That's a bit immersion breaking for me, considering thedas was highly inspired by the european middle ages. 8/10

Questdesign.
That's my main complain. It's horrible. For every interesting main quest you have to do 9 pointless and boring fetch quests. You are the LEADER of a important faction. Why do I permanently have to be deliver boy for some peasents? Why do I have to kill 10x of this, bring 10x of that? Looking at the hinderlands map I felt like I was playing Assassins Creed. 3/10

Characters: Well done Bioware. Most of the Characters are interesting. I don't like the look of most of the female characters, but that's my personal problem. But they are unique and have a lot to tell about their past, motivations and problems. 9/10

Miscellaneous: positive: - big (multi region) open world with a lot of stuff to do (if you like mmo- style quests) -choices and consequences ( can't tell how big) -difficulty is well balanced (playing on hard) -combo system - a LOT of conversations - two voice actors for each gender - extensive character creator - a lot of customization -Skyhold and the possibility to change it's look - being the leader of a powerful organisation is unique in rpgs - extensive crafting system

negative: - a lot of bugs: Some serious clipping issues. The voice of my inquisitor changed at a certain point of the game. Other (minor) glitches - hair looks awful. No long hair in the game. - Barely any reaction to you actions (I'm closing a breech and fighting demons in a small camp and nobody cares about it) - no attribute points - a LOT less skills than in Origins or even Dragon Age 2 - No punishment if you die - Some serious problems with the quality of writing

After the first 25 hours, the game is a 7.5 for me. Depending on how the story continues it could get a 8. Unfortunaly i'm not only rating the game, but the whole product.
EA/Bioware Anti- Consumer policy: - Origins (DRM) - Denuvo (DRM) - First Story DLC XboX One time exclusive - Xbox One/ EA Access exclusive early access - Not moddable game engine - Different ingame content depending on the game version you buy - Different release days depending on the region you live - microtransactions - 2.5 points
Overall: 5/10

Great review View attachment 7663 I agree with most points especially regarding the lack of modding
Aside from that im currently at the Ball in Halamshiral.How far in the game am i?

Attachments

• clap.gif
    clap.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 47

Great review View attachment 7663 I agree with most points especially regarding the lack of modding
Aside from that im currently at the Ball in Halamshiral.How far in the game am i?

I would say about 25% of the main story. i really loved the quest. I have read The Masked Empire, so there were a lot of known characters, but after the quest i felt Bioware could have done so much more with the whole triangle conflict between Celene, Gaspard and Briala. Bioware's strong side just isn't the story. That's such a shame because the whole lore is great, but they just don't know how to write a complex story out of it.
While the questdesign was still great ( a lot of talking, cutscenes, searching, scheming, secrets and even dancing, a bit of combat) it was way too fast resolved and felt like a big missed opportunity. I love that kind of stuff. My favorite part of all witcher books is the thanedd banquet and the following events and while playing halamshiral i thought the whole time how great it would be to get such a quest in Witcher 3 with CD Project Red's storytelling skills.

Last edited:
Whoo! Most badass combo ever. Dorian's lightning cage plus Cassandra and my grappling hook. Pulls those bitch ass archers right to you, then paralyzes them from trying to leave Dorian's lightning cage. Awesome.

Regarding The Iron Bull Sex scene[video=youtube;rr8-5Fn_6XY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr8-5Fn_6XY[/video]
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH Fucking hell im pissing myself :rofl: even though its so bad and cringeworthy i fucking love it hahahaha
Well played BioWareView attachment 7666

Attachments

• thumbsup.gif
    thumbsup.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Remember that Iron Bull sex scene? It turns out it was just the 'beginning' of the romance, this is what we could call a big reveal.

Literally.

[video=youtube;rr8-5Fn_6XY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr8-5Fn_6XY[/video]

So I got Skyhold. People bitching about the game being too slow really need to get their heads out of their ass and get to that point since bloody hell does the game shove shit in your face. It's actually overwhelming to a degree.

I strongly disagree it's an MMO type game. Is fallout 3 an MMO? is Skyrim? Seems people loved those games, especially that horrible piece of shit that was Skyrim.

The combat is similar to WoW i'll admit, but then again DA combat since DA:O has been similar to WOW. Bioware however is moronic and fails to understand what makes WOW combat enjoyable. I can sure as shit tell you it ain't getting stunlocked by every bloody move a huge dragon makes or by throwing a boss that takes 30 mins to complete.

Loghain and Hawke spoilers:

Then I met Hawke who mentioned Loghain so I raced to find the old bastard and I completed the entire Warden plot line in DA:I. Suffice to say Loghain is quite involved in that whole affair, as is Hawke. One of them can die at the end, you just pick who. I of course picked Hawke, fuck that imbecile.

Really funny is that if Loghain lives he becomes Commander of the Grey in Orlais. I was laughing my ass off at the thought.

Last edited:
Then I met Hawke who mentioned Loghain so I raced to find the old bastard and I completed the entire Warden plot line in DA:I. Suffice to say Loghain is quite involved in that whole affair, as is Hawke. One of them can die at the end, you just pick who. I of course picked Hawke, fuck that imbecile.

Didn't Varric object to that? I heard he leaves the Inquisition if you leave Hawke to die - though it apparently happens only if he/she was Varric's best friend.

So I got Skyhold. People bitching about the game being too slow really need to get their heads out of their ass

Um, excuse me, how about not being an ass about it. This isn't the kind of game where you can rush it, and none of us are used to this new system for dragon age at all. In origins, I'd probably be half way done by now, and also, no one here is even complaining about the game taking too long for things to start anymore. All of us get that now.

---------- Updated at 07:25 PM ----------

I strongly disagree it's an MMO type game. Is fallout 3 an MMO? is Skyrim? Seems people loved those games, especially that horrible piece of shit that was Skyrim.

Missed this part. Yea, no. This game is nothing like Skyrim... at all, so stop comparing the two.

Top Bottom