newbie needs some tips/guidance

+
newbie needs some tips/guidance

Hi all,

With TW3 getting delayed I decided to borrow a friends 360 and buy a copy of TW2. I'm on the "indecent proposal" request, currently wandering around waiting for dusk to hit and could use some general tips/pointers for combat, crafting, and anything else longtime TW2 players can share.

I'm dying fairly regularly in combat, so my questions are:

1. Is its recommended to focus more on sword offence, and are there better button combos to use between light and strong strokes?
2.Should I be using "buffs" before fights on my weapons? I found a nekkar cave while waiting for dusk and I'm having a tough go:/.
3. What is with all of the crafting materials and herbs? I found a book seller and smith in the town, and have upgraded my sword but there's still tons of herbs left. How do I make use of them?
4. Any other guidance/tips for success in fights? Is one magic better than the rest early in the game?
5. How The heck do level upgrades and the giant path branches work? Doesn't look Ike I can apply any changes at level 5 yet...?

Any guidance would be great :)

Hi all,

With TW3 getting delayed I decided to borrow a friends 360 and buy a copy of TW2. I'm on the "indecent proposal" request, currently wandering around waiting for dusk to hit and could use some general tips/pointers for combat, crafting, and anything else longtime TW2 players can share.

I'm dying fairly regularly in combat, so my questions are:

1. Is its recommended to focus more on sword offence, and are there better button combos to use between light and strong strokes?
2.Should I be using "buffs" before fights on my weapons? I found a nekkar cave while waiting for dusk and I'm having a tough go:/.
3. What is with all of the crafting materials and herbs? I found a book seller and smith in the town, and have upgraded my sword but there's still tons of herbs left. How do I make use of them?
4. Any other guidance/tips for success in fights? Is one magic better than the rest early in the game?
5. How The heck do level upgrades and the giant path branches work? Doesn't look Ike I can apply any changes at level 5 yet...?

Any guidance would be great :)

1. Focusing on sword is a good idea when you're new to the game. Even characters who emphasize magic or alchemy need some swordsmanship. Your options are fast, strong, parry, riposte, and dodge. Fast strokes are good for closing on enemies and against enemies (like wraiths) that hit back fast and hard. Strong strokes do more damage, especially against armored enemies. Parry blocks an enemy's attack and often creates a chance for a riposte. Ripostes do tremendous damage, especially against armor.

2. You should buff your weapons (oils, runes) and yourself (potions, armor, armor enhancements). Geralt was always prepared when going into danger, so do likewise. Also learn to use bombs and traps, especially when going into nekker or rotfiend infested places like those caves.

3. The herbs (and many of the monster parts) are for alchemy (making potions, oils, and bombs). The alchemy screen and the formulas will tell you which ones are needed.

4. "Don't get killed, witcher." Seriously. This is not a game you can just tank your way through, well maybe on Easy mode. Don't just charge into a crowd; you'll get surrounded and chopped up. Stay back, pick off enemies one at a time when you can, use bombs against crowds and signs against a few.

5. In Normal and Easy modes, just hit "C" for the character screen. In Hard, Dark, and Insane modes, you must meditate to upgrade; you can bring up the character screen, but it is locked.

The tree has four branches: Training (upper), Sword (right), Alchemy (lower), Magic (left). Your first six upgrades must go in the Training tree. The other branches will be locked until you do.

1. Focusing on sword is a good idea when you're new to the game. Even characters who emphasize magic or alchemy need some swordsmanship. Your options are fast, strong, parry, riposte, and dodge. Fast strokes are good for closing on enemies and against enemies (like wraiths) that hit back fast and hard. Strong strokes do more damage, especially against armored enemies. Parry blocks an enemy's attack and often creates a chance for a riposte. Ripostes do tremendous damage, especially against armor.

2. You should buff your weapons (oils, runes) and yourself (potions, armor, armor enhancements). Geralt was always prepared when going into danger, so do likewise. Also learn to use bombs and traps, especially when going into nekker or rotfiend infested places like those caves.

3. The herbs (and many of the monster parts) are for alchemy (making potions, oils, and bombs). The alchemy screen and the formulas will tell you which ones are needed.

4. "Don't get killed, witcher." Seriously. This is not a game you can just tank your way through, well maybe on Easy mode. Don't just charge into a crowd; you'll get surrounded and chopped up. Stay back, pick off enemies one at a time when you can, use bombs against crowds and signs against a few.

5. In Normal and Easy modes, just hit "C" for the character screen. In Hard, Dark, and Insane modes, you must meditate to upgrade; you can bring up the character screen, but it is locked.

The tree has four branches: Training (upper), Sword (right), Alchemy (lower), Magic (left). Your first six upgrades must go in the Training tree. The other branches will be locked until you do.

Thank you for The summary! I just unlocked the additional branches for upgrade and have finished a few side quests (nekkar and The one with Two queen spider like creatures). I did find meditating helpful in buffing when fighting The bunches and had to re-do THR queen spider fights quite a few times but still enjoying and getting used to The combat. I need to figure out the poker game next to finish a troll quest and just need a bit more practice in general and finally using ripostes (never knew what they were till u mentioned them :/. ). Thank you!

Dice poker is rigged, to the extent that even playing best tactics, you will win maybe one out of three. Just keep at it, because you only have to win one round against each important opponent.

Top Bottom