Game Journalism - Unfit for purpose?

+

Game Journalism - Unfit for purpose?

• Total voters
Tons of mental gymnastics are being performed around Hatred (including labeling the devs as Neonazis). It's funny to watch. Games like GTA give you "justification" to go on murder spree, but as soon as a game takes the agency to kill out of your hands, everyone flips out, even though results are the same. They want to be judges, not executioners, just like they want to be the Pigs and not just Dogs.

Speaking of Hatred, here is the trailer with Navy seal copypasta voiceover, which I find somehow... perfect
[video=youtube;F-q5BfMIE6M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-q5BfMIE6M[/video]

Thanks for the vid share, lol.
Half of it is that it just gives them something to talk about. Something to get clicks from, attract attention. If it weren't for all this GG stuff though, I really doubt it'd get so much attention. Looks mediocre at best.

Thanks for the vid share, lol.
Half of it is that it just gives them something to talk about. Something to get clicks from, attract attention. If it weren't for all this GG stuff though, I really doubt it'd get so much attention. Looks mediocre at best.
the PR for this game is perfect

the trailer was out for a day and had like 2k views before someone started shilling the shit out of it on /v/ and then it all got blown up everywhere else and now it is the next worst thing in the history of gaming and it is being discussed everywhere

Aye undoubtedly good advertising. Though I don't mind if it is just a shooter without any particular goal, other than blood for the Blood God and skulls for the Skull Throne, I hope it is something more. A glimpse into a disturbed and shattered mind, such as we see examined in Hitchcock's Psycho, the Silence of the Lambs, or any one of dozens of other psycopaths explored in fiction. Or even the frequent cases that these are based on.

The boogeyman and the predator have always held a fascination for society, as they can slide through it at will, and most were described as nice guys by their neighbours. I supposed its a form of acknowledging our own twisted, dark side, that we hold in check at all times but sometimes secretly wish we could let go.

the PR for this game is perfect

the trailer was out for a day and had like 2k views before someone started shilling the shit out of it on /v/ and then it all got blown up everywhere else and now it is the next worst thing in the history of gaming and it is being discussed everywhere

Well, they got perfect timing for this game. And who knows if they didn't hoped on that to be honest. And since soon "journalists" will place #Gamergate in it when they'll start talking about this game (Oh I bet they will do that) it will get even more attention.

Last edited:
Holy shit, this is going to hurt pro-gamer movement really bad.

Worse piece of journalism, I've ever seen.

Rather stupid to say that the negative reaction is due to elitist nature of gamers rejecting broader public. No, a lot of negative reactions are due to exaggerated accusations of misogyny or fake critics posing as journalists.

Brianna Wu however said there, that female developers are mistreated and bullied up to the point of leaving the industry. Does she provide any details on this? Is it about some specific studios, or particular cases? She claims it's very common (and some numbers are shown for women vs men as developers). But that's not a proof of anything - that's common in all programming related industries, not just gaming (that there are more male engineers). So where is her info to back up that claim?

Last edited:
One convenient thing the game will do here in America is bring the extreme left and right full circle, they'll be denouncing the title in unison. As Bloth says, there's potential for a deeper narrative but I doubt it's there. It's already accomplished something- why killing for gameplay is fine, but when killing is the sole purpose, suddenly it's not. In the end, it's all pixels and imaginary anyway. I'd argue such a game could shock a player into the realities of violence, just like when I was in High School they showed the atrocities of WW2 so students could empathize and be horrified by what happened, something they would never, ever do nowadays. I don't think their timing is an accident either, even if it's not helping the image of gamers.

Last edited:
Yep I agree, even if the game is tasteless, nasty and simplistic, it is make believe. And not so different from the FPS or RPG where you have the thinnest motivation to indulge in your endless repetitious slaughter. That and i'd champion this for the same reason as championing free speech, despite not liking what you say i'll fight for your right to say it etcetera.

@Unkindled Also seems like Anita was on MSNBS as an expert in gaming culture...

http://www.msnbc.com/melissa-harris-perry/watch/can-gaming-industry-culture-be-changed--344876611726

Ps: I did saw it yet (I hate my internet connection)

Edit: Yeah I know because I try to hunt this articles on twitter

Zoom it

Last edited:
Fortunately, the rest of the world doesn't take American media seriously. Well, neither do most Americans for that matter.

Last edited:
@Unkindled Also seems like Anita was on MSNBS as an expert in gaming culture...

Ugh, dude I just ate. Trigger warning next time, k? Lol. Though you did say Anita and MSNBC. That was probably warning enough.

You know what I love is that she admits the gaming industry has already changed without her... so what the hell is she still doing here, lol. And the comparison of us humoring orcs and dragons in games, things we know aren't real... with supposed misogyny in games. Don't you just loove irony?

Whatever, anyone that matters will actually look into this themselves online if they care, and some will realize its bull. The rest outside gaming don't matter and have no influence.

Last edited:
@Unkindled Sorry, I will buy you a beer if we meet someday.

Yeah my internet is a bastard to me right now so I don't know what she said yet.... -_- I need to buy new one soon [At least twitter works]. But I guess it was as bad as I though it would be.

@Unkindled Sorry, I will buy you a beer if we meet someday.

Yeah my internet is a bastard to me right now so I don't know what she said yet.... -_- I need to buy new one soon [At least twitter works]. But I guess it was as bad as I though it would be.

It was literally the same shit she always says. That ironic comment about the suspension of disbelief required for orcs and dragons, and comparing it to misogyny in games, I'm positive she's said that before. The rest was all the same too. "This is what its come to", and acting like misogyny in games is fact by saying its boring.

I tell you what, if showing ass and tits is misogyny, then I'm the most boring mofo alive, because I love ass and tits. LOL. But anyway, you didn't miss a dang thing, besides hearing the announcer praise her as "pop culture's most valuable critic". Bleeecchhh.

He raises a good point right off the bat. What amount of suspension of disbelief is required to believe these many people got together to promote hate for women? That's pretty much been unheard of on the internet, or elsewhere, at least with the sole intention of attacking women. I wonder how many people actually buy this. They tried beating #gamergate's hashtag with #stopgamergate2014, and not only did they fail, but we pretty much took over the tag.

I suspect not many people really buy into this. It's likely why MSNBC's ratings are so low compared to Fox, despite its issues. People are tired of hearing this kind of narrative, and also, gaming's become very very popular as of late. More people are actually familiar with it.

Top Bottom