The Advance/Modern Concept of The Witcher Universe

+
The Advance/Modern Concept of The Witcher Universe

They seem to understand and use modern concept like banking, politics, medicine, profession, even mutation and evolution, or some sarcasm and idioms that i believe is considered modern to our world. Even the magic is tried to be explained scientifically.

Is this introduced in the game or has always been like this in the lore?

This anachronistic mixture is present in Sapkowski's books, so this idea didn't originate in games. If you didn't read any Witcher books yet, definitely read them.

Last edited:
Banking: The Babylonians did it, they might've started it, appropriate eh. So did the Israelis during Roman occupation or there'd be no tables needing turned in the Temple. One of the exterior (?) purposes of the Knights Templar was international money transfer, and the Vatican absorbed this after the first black friday 13th. Recognisably modern banking originated in 14th century Venice, Florence, etc.

Politics: Politics has been around since, well, cities at least.

Medicine: Been around since the beginning too, in some form or other. Aside from the obvious - mutations, magic & many-races - I've never felt this to be out of place either.

Witcherworld is circa 13th century, its break with "our history" happened 1500 years ago, and they are very different worlds now. Nevertheless I've seen nothing in the Witcher series - apart from the blatant eggs - that I didn't think could be explained away reasonably. Sure they have tangible magic, alien races, and didn't lose a few centuries due to philosophical stagnation... if "our Earth" were to go to war with them now, I suspect we'd be scuppered.

That said, I don't think either Mr Sapkowski or the REDs set out to create a historical fiction series, and there is really zero requirement on their part to be historically accurate. It is the nature of the Witcher to attempt to discern a modicum of rationality when it blends fantasy & folklore for a modern audience.

TL / DR ; I really don't see the problem ;)

No, i too don't see witcher's anachronism as flaw, infact it's what makes TW interesting. I was just wondering where did it comes from.

And no i don't mean the classic concept, i meant the modern banking, the modern politics, the modern medicine as used in TW lore.

But Gilrond already answered that it originates in Sapkowski books. Makes me wanna read it more :)

Thank you guys.

You could even say that in some parts they are scientifically more advanced than we are, as some of the mages created more or less new monsters, with their end goal being to "create" a new form of woman with a straight back so that can put your wine glass on her back when you ... you know

Top Bottom