Great Action-packed games

+
Great Action-packed games

Of all the great games I have Played The Darklight Conflict is my favorite, some folks often disagree that Arcade style games dont really have a value like triple A games because such games are not high in value and don't reap the large numbers such as games like Witcher but I disagree, because over a longtime period of time Arcade style games can rake in 20 X the amount of any given AAA game.
So that brings up a question, will CDPR ever expand there studio and move on to new franchises other than RPGs?
I hope so, I wanna see CD make the most out there studio, mostly I wanna see them around for years..
Sidenote:
I believe the next 10 to 15 years the console will be phased out, but what will replace it? Pc gaming? I don't think so, only because the majority are casual gamers, will it be some sort of console you can upgrade? And don't give me Steam will take over because it won't, and most gamers prefer physical copies.

Last edited:
and most gamers prefer physical copies.

Physical distribution will be dead in 15 years. I even expect it to happen much earlier. Which has nothing to do with consoles or non consoles gaming. For example, Valve are working on their own console platform with pure digital distribution.

Last edited:
Physical distribution will be dead in 15 years. I even expect it to happen much earlier. Which has nothing to do with consoles or non consoles gaming. For example, Valve are working on their own console platform with pure digital distribution.
Well that's creating a monopoly and that's forbidden, I don't see it and look what happen when Microsoft announced that sharing copies of X1 games would be forbidden. Sorry just don't see digital distribution taking over.

Well that's creating a monopoly and that's forbidden, I don't see it and look what happen when Microsoft announced that sharing copies of X1 games would be forbidden. Sorry just don't see digital distribution taking over.

What monopoly? If anything it increases competition. Current consoles market is too closed (just MS and Sony). And unlike PlayStation and Xbox, Valve's consoles won't prevent you from installing any games you want from competing distributors like GOG for example.

What monopoly? If anything it increases competition. Current consoles market is too closed (just MS and Sony). And unlike PlayStation and Xbox, Valve's consoles won't prevent you from installing any games you want from competing distributors like GOG for example.
Were not talikng about hardware now, it's hard copie vs digital distribution, and full digital distribution wouldn't be allowed, because that's creating a monopoly. Also keep in mind gamers like to trade up & trade in games.

Last edited:
Were not talikng about hardware now, it's hard copie vs digital distribution, and full digital distribution wouldn't be allowed, because that's creating a monopoly.

It's reducing it, not increasing. With digital distribution developers can even do it themselves cutting all middlemen altogether if they want. With physical there is always a retailer in the middle who dictates prices, regional differences and so on.

It's reducing it, not increasing. With digital distribution developers can even do it themselves cutting all middlemen altogether if they want. With physical there is always a retailer in the middle who dictates prices, regional differences and so on.
Well like i posted, gamers won't go for it, and that's who controlls the market.

Well like i posted, gamers won't go for it, and that's who controlls the market.

Ask digital distributors which constantly grow in size of their user base and physical retailers which dwindle. Alternatively you can ask developers about percentages of their sales in pure digital or physical form. For the reference more and more developers don't sell physical copies altogether anymore. The trend is very clear, it's only a question of time until physical retail distribution for games will cease to exist.

Last edited:
They already are starting to expand a bit with Witcher adventure game and moba. I'm sure we'll see more, especially if Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk are big successes and they can afford more risks.

10-15 years is such a stretch of time, its too difficult to say what the industry will look like. As long as people are into playing games on a TV then consoles will be around. What would surprise me is If the market will continue to sustain 3(4 if you count valve) hardware manufactures.

10-15 years is such a stretch of time, its too difficult to say what the industry will look like. As long as people are into playing games on TV consoles will be around. What would surprise me is the market will continue to sustain 3(4 if you count valve) hardware manufactures.

Valve aren't going to manufacture consoles. They will work on the OS (SteamOS Linux), and hardware will be provided by whoever will be interested (Asus and others). And why can't market sustain them? Market perfectly sustains multiple manufacturers for PC and mobile hardware. Consoles aren't any different.

Valve will work on their controller though.

They already are starting to expand a bit with Witcher adventure game and moba. I'm sure we'll see more, especially if Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk are big successes and they can afford more risks.

10-15 years is such a stretch of time, its too difficult to say what the industry will look like. As long as people are into playing games on a TV then consoles will be around. What would surprise me is If the market will continue to sustain 3(4 if you count valve) hardware manufactures.
Its hard to tell at this time, what the market will be like.

I for one love buying digital games. TW3 will be the first boxed game I've had in a long time.

I see the future of gaming as almost entirely digital, with perhaps physical collectors editions only. For this reason it's important to start supporting DRM free distribution NOW.

I for one love buying digital games. TW3 will be the first boxed game I've had in a long time.

I see the future of gaming as almost entirely digital, with perhaps physical collectors editions only. For this reason it's important to start supporting DRM free distribution NOW.

Same here. It's simply so much more convenient. I didn't buy physical disks in ages. The only exceptions are music and video, since you often can't legally obtain lossless audio except for audio CDs. For some dumb reason most of the music is sold only in MP3 digitally. Only few so far sell music in FLAC. And I made myself a habit of getting lossless source so I could always encode it in formats of my preference (I use Opus now). And with video, that's because there are no widely available legal DRM-free digital distributors so far.

And that's right about DRM. With pure digitial distribution phasing out everything else it's critical to support only DRM-free distributors.

Last edited:
Valve aren't going to manufacture consoles. They will work on the OS (SteamOS Linux), and hardware will be provided by whoever will be interested (Asus and others). And why can't market sustain them? Market perfectly sustains multiple manufacturers for PC and mobile hardware. Consoles aren't any different.

Valve will work on their controller though.

4, 10, 20... It doesn't matter. Steambox is a total unknown at this point and could easily be a failure. Consoles are different because its a market that appears to have seen its peak and is now contracting. By comparison, the mobile market is a fast growing one and, despite that, anyone who isn't Apple is fighting to remain profitable. http://www.cnet.com/news/android-share-of-smartphone-profit-plummets-to-just-11-percent/

4, 10, 20... It doesn't matter. Steambox is a total unknown at this point and could easily be a failure. Consoles are different because its a market that appears to have seen its peak and is now contracting. By comparison, the mobile market is a fast growing one and, despite that, anyone who isn't Apple is fighting to remain profitable. http://www.cnet.com/news/android-share-of-smartphone-profit-plummets-to-just-11-percent/

How is it contracting if a whole new platform is being rolled out? It means it's growing.

It's good however that Valve try to blur the border between consoles and PC. PC is an open platform and we see how sickening bad mobile hardware is in comparison (all closed up). Consoles will benefit from more openness.

Last edited:
How is it contracting if a whole new platform is being rolled out? It means it's growing.

It's good however that Valve try to blur the border between consoles and PC. PC is an open platform and we see how sickening bad mobile hardware is in comparison (all closed up). Consoles will benefit from more openness.

They could roll out 40 new platforms. Market size is determined by consumer interest and spending. Nintendo cant give away the WiiU and MS has had to drastically cut prices twice in less than a year to stay competitive. Sony is doing well, but that momentum already declining and its unlikely to get anywhere near the popularity of the PS2 or Wii.

Can steam box change the course of the market? Well have to see.

They could roll out 40 new platforms. Market size is determined by consumer interest and spending. Nintendo cant give away the WiiU and MS has had to drastically cut prices twice in less than a year to stay competitive. Sony is doing well, but that momentum already declining and its unlikely to get anywhere near the popularity of the PS2 or Wii.

Can steam box change the course of the market? Well have to see.

That's why Valve aren't interested in making their own hardware (besides the controller). They are software company. Not a hardware maker. MS and Sony try to do it all at once, and not necessarily successfully. Instead of reinventing the wheel Valve will delegate hardware side to those who can compete in it more properly. Differentiation between consoles and regular computers is artificial. The real differentiation is one of interfaces (both visual and input human interfaces), not of underlying computers architecture. So blurring the two on the hardware side is the right step, because PC gaming and consoles gaming don't need to be divided hardware wise.

Last edited:
Nintendo is no stranger to action packed games that is for sure :ice:

I don't own an XBox or Playstation, but I have a trusty gameboy :yes Digital distribution through Nintendo's store is very, very convenient, especially when hunting down old games no longer found in stores, or new games that fly off the shelves. Even games that came out in the last couple of years, such as Ocarina of Time 3D, have proven very difficult--impossible really :p to hunt down without paying a kings ransom online or spending days waist deep in the store's bargain bin.

The only thing keeping me interested in physical copies is the guys and gals that work at the store; its always a enjoyable to hang around :)

A GOG-like service that would provide older console titles digitally so you would no longer need to hunt down sketchy disks and cartridges on ebay and pray they weren't scratched sounds incredible. Nintendo is already doing this some-what with the Virtual Console titles from their store. I hope it expands and continues to provides a more games at a reasonable price :yes

Though Nintendo is quite hostile towards emulators projects as far as I know. And they sound very backwards thinking when they talk about it:

https://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp#download_rom

How Does Nintendo Feel About the Emergence of Video Game Emulators?

The introduction of emulators created to play illegally copied Nintendo software represents the greatest threat to date to the intellectual property rights of video game developers. As is the case with any business or industry, when its products become available for free, the revenue stream supporting that industry is threatened. Such emulators have the potential to significantly damage a worldwide entertainment software industry which generates over $15 billion annually, and tens of thousands of jobs.

I think it's simply stupid. And they aren't strangers to DRM either.

They even answer a valid question with a completely dumb an nonsense response:

People Making Nintendo Emulators and Nintendo ROMs are Helping Publishers by Making Old Games Available that are No Longer Being Sold by the Copyright Owner. This Does Not Hurt Anyone and Allows Gamers to Play Old Favorites. What's the Problem?

The problem is that it's illegal. Copyrights and trademarks of games are corporate assets. If these vintage titles are available far and wide, it undermines the value of this intellectual property and adversely affects the right owner. In addition, the assumption that the games involved are vintage or nostalgia games is incorrect. Nintendo is famous for bringing back to life its popular characters for its newer systems, for example, Mario and Donkey Kong have enjoyed their adventures on all Nintendo platforms, going from coin-op machines to our latest hardware platforms. As a copyright owner, and creator of such famous characters, only Nintendo has the right to benefit from such valuable assets.

To rephrase the above:

Q: using emulators extends reach of your games and brings back old classics from the oblivion (for instance imagine you selling your old games on GOG), so why not be friendly towards it?

A: Because we crave control! Emulators (outside of our control) - bad!

Last edited:
That's why Valve aren't interested in making their own hardware (besides the controller). They are software company. Not a hardware maker. MS and Sony try to do it all at once, and not necessarily successfully. Instead of reinventing the wheel Valve will delegate hardware side to those who can compete in it more properly. Differentiation between consoles and regular computers is artificial. The real differentiation is one of interfaces (both visual and input human interfaces), not of underlying computers architecture. So blurring the two on the hardware side is the right step, because PC gaming and consoles gaming don't need to be divided hardware wise.

The real difference between the traditional console model and what Steambox manufacturers will be doing is that Sony and MS make the bulk of their money from licensing fees -- the console market has never responded well to expensive hardware, so they are forced to sell their hardware at a loss. Steam box manufactures wont have that luxury, they will have to sell at a profit in a very thrifty market. Steambox's success will also depend on developer support, and it will need to be strong enough that games are released at the same time as other platforms. MS and Sony also spend a ton of money on marketing, exclusivity, comarketing, and 1st and second party software. Console gaming is also still extremely dependent on retail and used games are generating a billion dollars for them.

As I said, there are still just too many unknowns at the moment to say what type of impact the Steam box will have.

Last edited:
Top Bottom