Interviews and Articles - 2015

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could someone elaborate on the enemies don't respawn thing? So I could potentially kill all the creatures in the world, and be running around a deserted land? Would they ever come back? Also, for what it's worth, I kinda liked the way the skill tree looked. Wasn't perfect, but made sense and looked decent.
The journalist said that he killed all beasts/monsters in an area and they didn't respawn after two or three days, iirc. This doesn't mean that the same or other creatures don't (re)spawn eventually.

The enemies probably do respawn but slowly, trying to simulate repopulation, or only respawn if the right conditions are met (dead bodies make new ghouls enter the world)

did they mention anything else concerning the gamplay mechanics ? especially the alchemy system.
because according to a post made by BlackWolf500.298 posted in the " the witcher 3 alchemy system", which pretty much sums up everything we know so far:

What more information do you want?
I mean sure, there was a lot of confusion, and would you have posted that 2 months ago I would have agreed. But by now we have had Marcin dedicate and entire post shortly explaining to us how it works, multiple journalists explaining the system and the system was also explained in mutliple interviews and each and every time it said the SAME THING.

1. You will have to collect ingredients to make a potion (good)
2. It will be harder to collect ingredients (good)
3. There are "stronger" "upgraded" versions of your potions (cool, love it)

4. Mutagenic potions can be taken during meditation only, they last forever (until cancelled by the player during meditation) and are highly toxic. You can swap out mutagenic potions based on the situation ahead of you (fine by me I guess)
5. Potions have less effect-time (well, okay I guess, might fit better into an open world game)

6. "Upgraded" potions seem very powerful (yeah well, we'll see, doesn't sound that good but still okay I guess)
7. No drinking animations (not that good, removes some tactical elements)
8. Witcher sense highlights herbs, that apparently can be gathered everywhere, based on footage we saw. (WHY if there is auto-refill, WHY?)
9. Potions will auto-refill while meditating if you have the base ingredient (alcohol) in your inventory after you have made the potion the first time (VERY BAD, seriously we told them a hundred better versions of that)

And don't you come now with "but if potions only last a minute you have to gather ingredients ALL THE TIME. There are a lot of solutions we listed, like for example having the gather less herbs after the first time of making the potion, or 1 plant having more herbs to loot, or potion vials that are upgradable which can offer you 3, 5 or even 8 uses for 1 potion until you have to refill, or the ability to "thin out" the potion a few times by refilling the potion without ingredients if you have 1 or 2 uses left in the vial, or being able to make "weaker" versions of potions using less herbs in the process.

There are SO MANY THINGS we suggested and most of those I mentioned above I find VERY good and effective as a solution, and none was taken up or considered.

any additional informations or articles would be most helpful ^^

It all sounds fantastic!! The skill menu looks alright, but I really liked how the previous games had unique and kind of exotic looking menus. This one seems like a cross between shadows of mordor and DAI... Perfectly functional, but a little lacking in character. Oh well, pretty small quibble. Overall shaping up to be awesome!

Could someone elaborate on the enemies don't respawn thing? So I could potentially kill all the creatures in the world, and be running around a deserted land? Would they ever come back? Also, for what it's worth, I kinda liked the way the skill tree looked. Wasn't perfect, but made sense and looked decent.
I will do my best. This my personal understanding so it may not be completely true.

We know for a fact The Witcher 3 features a dynamic eco-system. What this means is that the population of creatures in regions is dynamic and can be effected by different things. For example, the developers have said if you kill bandits and leave their corpses lying around more corpse eating monsters (like Ghouls and Nekkers) will begin to appear. They've also said if you kill a lot of dear in a region the wolf population will also dwindle because they will migrate to other regions to find food. Presumably, if you complete quests that improve the economy in a region more bandit enemies will begin to appear. And in regions with a poor economy fewer bandits will appear than in regions with a wealthy economy.

So I expect what the developer said (that enemies don't respawn) is somehow compensated for by the dynamic eco-system in the game.

Hmm it's awesome to hear all of those news, hype train is definitely leaving the station!

I am also happy to hear that they are stunned by the Ultra graphics, I do wonder though if they could compare it to the VGX/SoD trailers and say how much of a difference is it and if there is, if Ubersampling is what will be able to probably make them equal?

I do wonder though if they could compare it to the VGX/SoD trailers and say how much of a difference is it and if there is

Well the major difference on Ultra is the vegetation and lighting, whereas the latter depends on the location as some areas look really great and some have no real difference on lower settings (i.e. ultra to high)

I was disappointed by the layout of the skill tree. It's not visually interesting at all. Here is a short description for those who haven't seen it.

Basically it's just a small 4 x 5 grid (almost like an inventory system) with white symbols representing each skill and number next to each skill representing how many times it's been upgraded. There are 5 tabs at the top: one for each skill tree plus the mutagen tree.
In the center of the screen there are four rows of three boxes where you equip your skills. And next to each row of boxes there is a large diamond where you equip your mutagens that augments those three skills.

Overall it's very simplistic. There is a lot of empty space on the screen that's wasted. I expected a tree that was at least somewhat stylized. Even The Witcher 2's tree was more stylized IMO.

EDIT: In reality though I'm probably overreacting and the skill tree is still a work in progress. I'm sure there is a reason why they haven't shown it off to the general public yet, and it's probably to avoid fan reactions like the one I had.

Last edited:
I still think the auto refill is a really good idea, besides the devs know best since they have been playing it these past 4 years. I think if it sucked they would scrap it guys.
On the other hand, I still think the black screen in the menu system kinda sucks. It's just boring like Skyrim,ME SoM and DAI. I don't mind the grid system and it's nice to have a 3D model of Geralt, but the color of it was way cooler in the old 35 min demo. I'll get over it, I'm sure this game will be super, awesome fun to play for years to come ;)

Last edited:
I was disappointed by the layout of the skill tree. It's not visually interesting at all. Here is a short description for those who haven't seen it.

Basically it's just a small 4 x 5 grid (almost like an inventory system) with white symbols representing each skill and number next to each skill representing how many times it's been upgraded. There are 5 tabs at the top: one for each skill tree plus the mutagen tree.
In the center of the screen there are four rows of three boxes where you equip your skills. And next to each row of boxes there is a large diamond where you equip your mutagens that augments those three skills.

Overall it's very simplistic. There is a lot of empty space on the screen that's wasted. I expected a tree that was at least somewhat stylized. Even The Witcher 2's tree was more stylized IMO.

EDIT: In reality though I'm probably overreacting and the skill tree is still a work in progress. I'm sure there is a reason why they haven't shown it off to the general public yet, and it's probably to avoid fan reactions like the one I had.

Well you say there is a lot of space wasted, but I think that we haven't seen much of it. For instance - maybe when you have a mouse cursor over it displays a description, some stats etc? Maybe you can compare different skills? I would guess so. What I mean, it is useless to judge whether it is good or not, because it will be clear only when we start to use it. The design is a different story of course.

As for it being a work in progress, I wouldn't count on it. No time for placeholders at this point.

It would be pretty amazing if enemies respawn or not depends on the foe itself or the location.
IE it would make sense for common monsters in the swamp or forests to respawn after a while, but not when taking out a specific rare monster boss or perhaps a bandit hideout where it would make much less sense if they're there again a day or two later.

It would be pretty amazing if enemies respawn or not depends on the foe itself or the location.
IE it would make sense for common monsters in the swamp or forests to respawn after a while, but not when taking out a specific rare monster boss or perhaps a bandit hideout where it would make much less sense if they're there again a day or two later.

The bandit hideout could be overrun with creatures instead, after a while.
Then again i don't want to run out of humans to slice into pieces.

Let's link to new articles and discuss them, if there's a specific topic you're interested in, please continue in separate threads that cover specific topic.

Reason behind the Day 1 patch is that one month before the game comes out they have to start making dics and shipping them, but that's one month where the 200 developers of TW3 can accomplish a LOT.

S...! Anita Sarkeesian already had a go at TW but with dics shipping with the game she will go absolutely kamikaze at TW3! :excl::rant:

And I wonder how many dics 200 developers can make in a day? :blink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom