Witcher 3 News [LINKS & DISCUSSION]

+
My colleague and I have absolutely creamed ourselves over and over over how good the character art in the game is, though. Whoever sculpted those heads, implemented the subsurface scattering, married the high poly detail into the diffuse and roughness maps, must be the best character artist working in games today.

I can't stop looking at Geralt's face.

Is there an uncompressed version of the "Precious Cargo" quest video available somewhere? I would really like to enjoy it without the youtube compression that makes the picture so blurry...

...Anyway, there will always be people who are unfazed about everything or are there to hate. Nothing much to do about that. Just be happy that you're not as completely bored of games as they seem to be.
I agreed with everything in your post. Earlier today I came across a post by a user (joab777) on N4G that described how impossible it seems to satisfy people lately. It concerned an article on The Witcher 3 that posed the question if the game would be too big..

Absurd. It is. We bitch about short games, long games, easy games, and games that provide a challenge. We bitch because a gorgeous game is only 30 fps, and b/c a 60 fps game is only 900p.

We complain if there's dlc, even when it's free. We complain if there are subscriptions for games, and bitch when games opt out of them, but have microtransactions. Hell, we bitch if f2p games have microtransactions.

We complain that devs waste time on multiplayer, and then buy games only for that. Then, we bitch b/c a game doesn't have a single player. Not done b/c then we bitch when there is a single player but its only a version of multiplayer.

We complain that our favorite games aren't supported, and when they are streamlined to appeal to a wider audience. We complain that not enough of a certain type of person is represented, even if it makes no sense in the story, and other games by the same devs do have representation.

Now, don't get me wrong. There are plenty of legitimate complaints to go around. But that isn't good enough, is it? Now, we are going to pick on a game that chose to release on this gen only with 200 hrs of content, free dlc, and similarity between consoles. What the hell. Who cares if it cost a fortune to make. And it will probably be many ppl's GotY.

But it's map is too big.

Last edited:
I agreed with everything in your post. Earlier today I came across a post by a user (joab777) on N4G that described how impossible it seems to satisfy people lately.

Well, yes and now. The problem with many mainstream games nowadays is that they don't have a core democracy and a "clear focus" anymore. They want to be attractive for as many people as possible and therefore they have to offer different things. The problem with that approach is actually quite obvious. Many people likely don't like everything the game offers.

I make an example: the Souls game and also Bloodborne. These are games made with a clear focus and two or three main components (mainly combat system). These games are made for a very specific audience. So you usually either love it or you're just not interested in the genre/type of game.

The same is a lot harder if we talk about a game like Witcher 3 because this game has many aspects and it's quite natural that you like some of them while you dislike some of them. So you perhaps like the open world design but hate the combat system. Or you hate the open world design but like the story-driven approach with the concentration of choice and consequence. Of course there might be some people who love almost everything planned for the game and I'm happy for them. But I think people should respect different opinions as well from people who are not completely happy with the game, not because it offers too little, but too much! That might sounds crazy when you hear that for the first time, but that's how it is.

Game design is all about choices and some choices lead to elments in the game not everybody likes, no matter how good they are in theory. For example, the open world might be the best ever created. Still there will be people who won't like it very much. Similar is true for the size of the game, in both hours and map size. What sounds perfect in theory might be disliked by some and they possibly have good reasons for that, maybe because they don't like travelling much of the time, becuase they have only little time or maybe because they prefer playing a more staged game. At the same time it's very possible that they like other elements of the game very much, e.g. the art design, the combat, the story. So it's not that easy to say: "Hey, you don't like design decision XYZ, just play something else!" That's exactly NOT how big mainstream games work nowadays because almost everybody likes something in the game and almost everybody finds something to get excited about. But it's imo really hard nowadays to love the whole package of such a game, at least in my experience.

So while many of the complaining might be just pointless internet chatter there is some truth and some deeper sense behind it. Just think about it. ;)

WIld Hunt has a core demographic, and suits it (nearly) perfectly. CDPR devs built it for themselves, as the best game they could make today, and the game they really, really want to play.

This is far better than some vague marketing derived "demographic" that is pandered to, with poorly conceived and worse implemented "token" characters and 'plot lines'.

anyone knows why we cant' enjoy interviews with John Mamais anymore? :hmm: anytime i see him on those videos from CDP HQ i wish he could say something... funny and brilliant, we need more people like him in this business :)

I'm still waiting for somebody to make "Best of John Mamais" and "Best of Damien Monnier" compilation videos.

Every single spanish gaming/computers site it's talking, according to MSI, that The Witcher 3 will support Dx12 when it launches this summer, picked a couple of examples:

http://www.micromania.es/noticias/m...tara-con-the-witcher-3-y-batman-arkham-knight

http://www.android4g.net/msi-asegur...ara-con-the-witcher-3-y-batman-arkham-knight/

And official MSI post:

http://gaming.msi.com/article/msi-is-ready-for-windows-10-are-you

Again this is just news based on one statement made by MSI. CDPR have not commented on this and it even contradicts what they have been saying about DX12, namely that if it will be supported, it will be in future patches and not at launch.

I'd wait for an official statement before taking this as fact.

CDPR want this audience to try their game as well even if it's not meant for them so while the actual game's target audience possibly aren't those people, the marketing is clearly trying to sell it to them.

Don't forget they said easy mode will be like turning the pages of a book, which means its potential audience could be much larger than its telltale core, and if you're going to do big advertising why not highlight its broader & more accessible appeal while you got the coverage? As long as the PR is honest theres no problem. Personally I found the last gameplay trailer not to my taste, with the many short sensational reveals delivered by a... sports commentator? Seems I'd rather have single detailed reveals or nothing, but then I'm sold on the game, the advertising now is more for the unenlightened.

If they do manage to attract & satisfy a sizeable portion of usually non-rpg'rs like shooters & HOG'rs, without losing the core, that'll be a minor triumph, a rare breath of fresh air, like when the day after Lost premièred everyone was into sci-fi. ;)

TL / DR: Advertisings great, So's marketing... demographics, target audiences, and the vulnerable to addiction 1%, love it.

I'm not commenting on their 'quality' of marketing/PR. Just quoting what I recall was said by Kicinski - that they want the people who play 'blockbuster games' not just RPG players to try the game.

The constant berating of the Voice Acting, Lip-Sync and Animations really got to me.

Although I think we're going to have to get used to that being a common statement when the game comes out. People who expect The Last of Us, Uncharted, The Order or GTAV levels of facial expressions, VA and lip-syncing, in a game like The Witcher 3. People who just think that since every other AAA game has it, why doesn't The Witcher 3?

I hope SonyGaf is the one place the devs avoid. I'd rather they go to the BSN for feedback. We can get a bit ridiculous here, but good lord...

I have a general techie question: does anyone think the heavy wind blowing the foliage all the time will tax hardware, with all that stuff moving on the screen at once?.

Top Bottom