Foliage draw distance since 1.05 - What have you done?

+
Foliage draw distance since 1.05 - What have you done?

Right after installing patch 1.05, I booted up the game to check out the changes. Within the first five minutes of playing it became blatantly obvious that something has changed with the foliage draw distance. For the worse.

I'll just leave this webm here so you can draw your own conclusions.

http://webmshare.com/play/QmvAZ

I'm not one to complain quickly, but every patch so far has managed to piss me off in some way. First the humongous loot window (which is reversed, thankfully), now this (as well as a massive font increase - again lacking a simple toggle option for those who prefer a smaller font).

Regardless, thanks for your continued efforts to improve the game.

thats how it looked for me at 1.04 and still does. not suprised to be honest considering the silence on the topic from official side.

I'm experiencing this grass generation issue since v1.05, not before. (ULTRA settings here). Also I had my first CTD after patching to v1.05, WTF!!!

Maybe something to try with those lines in the rendering.ini

DecalsSpawnDistanceCutoff=10.0f
TextureStreamingDistanceLimit=40000.f
TextureStreamingCharacterDistanceLimit=50.f
TextureStreamingHeadsDistanceLimit=10.f

TerrainReadAheadDistance=200.0f

?

If you make a new user.settings file after the patch, the [Budget] section is almost completely empty, many of those settings were used to adjust draw distances. Good thing i made a backup, but the pop ins from certain (pretty close) distances are still there.

Last edited:
@Belryuminus: You appear to be tech savvy so I hope you don't mind me asking: The very same entries can be found in the user.settings file. I've read some tweaking guides (as I too have noticed some noticable graphic glitches despite playing on ultra setting) and I've repeatedly read that ppl tampered with the rendering.ini, visuals.ini and uer.settings files, even though there appears to be a massive overlap, at least when just looking at the user.settings and rendering.ini file.

Would you be so kind as to explain to me why it's not sufficient to change the user.settings? And may I be even bolder and ask why the game will tell me I downgraded for example texture quality to low, even though I made changes that would improve the texture quality (when I set the file to read only as it is suggested in aforementioned guides?)

If you were to take the time to respond I would be very grateful, else I will start my own thread and hope for some feedback :)

Last edited:
If you make a new user.settings file after the patch, the [Budget] section is almost completely empty, many of those settings were used to adjust draw distances. Good thing i made a backup, but the pop ins from certain (pretty close) distances are still there.
I think that's because they didn't do anything anyway. Someone else showed that the config files are supposed to lack the "cv" bit when they were hacking the engine.

So stuff like this:

cvMaxAllowedTrianglesStatic=500000
cvMaxAllowedHiresChunks=25

should actually have been:

MaxAllowedTrianglesStatic=500000
MaxAllowedHiresChunks=25

Could you test out if these options finally do something now? I am not upgrading to 1.05 until I make a backup of my 1.04 folder. That way I can switch between installs easily.

@Belryuminus : You appear to be tech savvy so I hope you don't mind me asking: The very same entries can be found in the user.settings file. I've read some tweaking guides (as I too have noticed some noticable graphic glitches despite playing on ultra setting) and I've repeatedly read that ppl tampered with the rendering.ini, visuals.ini and uer.settings files, even though there appears to be a massive overlap, at least when just looking at the user.settings and rendering.ini file.

Would you be so kind as to explain to me why it's not sufficient to change the user.settings? And may I be even bolder and ask why the game will tell me I downgraded for example texture quality to low, even though I made changes that would improve the texture quality (when I set the file to read only as it is suggested in aforementioned guides?)

If you were to take the time to respond I would be very grateful, else I will start my own thread and hope for some feedback :)

I'm sorry but I really dont know.
My knowledge on those technicals settings is very limited, as I just tried some tweaks exposed in other posts :/

I think that's because they didn't do anything anyway. Someone else showed that the config files are supposed to lack the "cv" bit when they were hacking the engine.

So stuff like this:

cvMaxAllowedTrianglesStatic=500000
cvMaxAllowedHiresChunks=25

should actually have been:

MaxAllowedTrianglesStatic=500000
MaxAllowedHiresChunks=25

Could you test out if these options finally do something now? I am not upgrading to 1.05 until I make a backup of my 1.04 folder. That way I can switch between installs easily.

Tested and they don't seem to do anything. At least the file's less cluttered now :)

Holy shit! I saw swear words on the internet! Totally a great reason to derail the topic!

Yeah, don't.

Love, Sard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Off topic. Ponied.

Last edited by a moderator:
@fatalframes: I don't disagree that he should have worded that all differently, but it's not the fact that he was swearing that automatically made his post impolite.

lol.... they failed SO hard their game visual... never see that in my all gamer life.

But lesson learned. Ubisoft is more turstworthy than CPDR. which mean just never trust thoses guys anymore just for a single second.

Trying to tweak something here and there, but the pop-in and texture load is so bad...
I just can't believe it, it was beautiful until 1.3, what the hell are they doing? And they don't even address it...

Why do they do this? Isn't the slider for draw distance enough? What would motivate them to fuck with the base settings?

Top Bottom