Witcher 3 Graphics

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Slightly related to graphics

what is the optimal settings for the cutscene mod? i am using 0.7 for everything

apart from bloom and a bit better AO anything else it improves?

---------- Updated at 06:15 PM ----------

I'm sorry but what is with the bloom in this game. There is no reason for Geralt's metal swords and armor parts to be blurry and gleaming like its a hot summer day in the middle of a rainstorm. Insult to injury by making the rainstorms unrealistically dark. Not a good contrast.

actually on my area rainstorms(monsoons) are akmost the same color albeit a bit grayer. the thing is , everything else isnt almost pitch black during storms (even with geralts eyes)

I'm still predicting we won't get a response from CDPR until this thread hits 1000 pages.

Modders will be our savior , hopefully.

Uhhh.... what do you expect CDPR to say?

I predict that they will never respond to this thread because I don't know why they'd even bother. They're currently in bug-fixing mode. Not "improve the graphics a little so some people on the forums are happy" mode.

I think there's an almost complete build with all the nvidia graphics bells and whistles working somewhere in cdpr HQ. A lot of other priorities for them so it won't be appearing anytime soon.

Witcher3 redux?

After cyberpunk?

Almost in time for ps5.

Tweaks

I was playing with W3 user.config file and some tweaks may be removed character and grass pop-in, at least I haven't seen it for a while. I haven't found a way to increase LOD distance and object pop-in though.
It will hit your FPS pretty hard. I'm attaching my user.config to the post. Don't touch advanced video settings - it will show that almost everything on low, but I can assure you - it's higher than Ultra.

P.S.: I was ill for a past few days and didn't work on the bundle format, I'll return to it soon.

Attachments

• user.zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 52
Uhhh.... what do you expect CDPR to say?

I predict that they will never respond to this thread because I don't know why they'd even bother. They're currently in bug-fixing mode. Not "improve the graphics a little so some people on the forums are happy" mode.

At the rate we are going , we'll hit 1000 pages in 2-4months. Thats some time.

I has been following this thread for quite some time. There are not many of you who mentioned the changes made after the January build which had been shown to the press. There is a video on youtube, look at it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3FgnjpZWV0
You can clearly see that the lighting is better , the Geralt's hair is better, and especially the water and interaction with it is much better than the version we are playing at the moment (see the water at 9:45). Why did they cut those visual enhancements? I really don't get it.

I has been following this thread for quite some time. There are not many of you who mentioned the changes made after the January build which had been shown to the press. There is a video on youtube, look at it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3FgnjpZWV0
You can clearly see that the lighting is better , the Geralt's hair is better, and especially the water and interaction with it is much better than the version we are playing at the moment (see the water at 9:45). Why did they cut those visual enhancements? I really don't get it.
This trailer doesn't look different from PC version outside of LOD issues. Earlier trailers do look quite different, but mostly in shading, lightning, particle effects and some other effects (also final version doesn't seem to use tesselation for anything except for water and hair. Textures and models are mostly the same as in the early trailers.

I think three things that look the worst in the game are: shadows, brick walls, LOD distance.

It seems object shadows and somehow even AO no longer show up when in shadow. That's why the same area that looks great when light shines upon it would look as if covered in a layer of gray ash when in shadow. C'mon, even games from several years ago has developed multi-layered shadows. That's also why the game's wilderness looks much better than cities.

Brick walls suffer from lack of tessellation.

And there is LOD distance issue, of course. I don't understand why it cannot be adjusted.

I am currently very tempted to wait until Redkit and graphic improvement mods to play the game again.

This game could be so much better, that's a fact. Looks really nice, one of the best, but if you look at DAI it's not better, it's just different, and worst in many aspects. DAI has better details in many things. I like the graphics like in the witcher 3, but isn't the "revolution" it was said by CDPR to be and the effects from the trailer (the technologies one) aren't present, just the poor unoptimized and irrelevant hairwork.

Looking at other games like DOOM or Metal Gear coming, and not saying anything about FF XV that looks so far from we got here.

Lightning is the same it seems, only the lens flare effect is missing. I just went to that cave and didn't see much difference (even if there is it is not visible on a heavily compressed video). But the lens flare is really missing, you're right here, but it doesn't make a lot of a difference. What's really wrong with W3 graphics right now is LOD. Mipmaps when done right improve image quality, in W3 they look awful.
For example I made a quick video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ7Gl_ExWzM (video is still processed, but should be ready in a few minutes)
You can see that instead of a progressive decrease of detail on the far objects (that actually improves image quality, because too much detail on far objects cause image to look oversharpened) it goes from great quality to awful in 1 step. Not only that, but lower resolution texture seem to be based on some different textures, because they do not match in colors. Not only that, but also not all objects are affected by LOD - look at the balcony for example. No matter how far I get from it - it still do not change at all, which makes it look noisy.
And there seem to be no way to control it fully with configuration files - a lot of things seem to be hardcoded.

Last edited:
It sounds like you guys arent running the cutscene lighting mod. The one asmodean provided a few pages back personally works. Look, here, i'm putting my hand up, saying i've tried it, and it completely works. His envblend is set to 0.7, but not being so sensitive to white fog and a lover of ambient occlusion, i set mine to 0.8.

At 0.7 you can see into the distance in the city novigrad... at 0.8 you get the screenshots i've been posting lately (just look at the shadows).

It sounds like you guys arent running the cutscene lighting mod. The one asmodean provided a few pages back personally works. Look, here, i'm putting my hand up, saying i've tried it, and it completely works. His envblend is set to 0.7, but not being so sensitive to white fog and a lover of ambient occlusion, i set mine to 0.8.

At 0.7 you can see into the distance in the city novigrad... at 0.8 you get the screenshots i've been posting lately (just look at the shadows).
The only problem I had setting it to 0.8 was the lack of dark cloud and I couldn't see the rain falling anymore. When I returned to 07, the clouds and the rain drops were visible again.

I'm using it with your sweetfx preset and it looks amazing, by the way. I think right now what I miss the most from the early demos is the particle effects. Damn, those looked nice.

The only problem I had setting it to 0.8 was the lack of dark cloud and I couldn't see the rain falling anymore. When I returned to 07, the clouds and the rain drops were visible again.

I'm using it with your sweetfx preset and it looks amazing, by the way. I think right now what I miss the most from the early demos is the particle effects. Damn, those looked nice.

Glad you're enjoying it! Yeah i'm still in velen with years to go it seems.. but in all the files from asmodeans zip where he had not set envblend to 0.7 i left them as they were, figuring he'd thought it through a bit more. I haven't been to those places yet with the mod, kaer morden eg.

Yeah personally for the liking of graphics i still try other presets when they catch my eye, i hope the author of these screenshots shares the one he's using.
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...screenshots!?p=1781800&viewfull=1#post1781800
I like it how hes got the foliage with same levels of relative color difference but there's more color saturation in everything else.. the horses rear eg. Definitely curious to give it a go.

At least for velen i like mine though, even from the npc banter is a pretty bleak place (ladies wont talk to you because they are too hungry etc).. i feel there's a match between the tone of my preset and that zone at least.

Glad you're enjoying it! Yeah i'm still in velen with years to go it seems.. but in all the files from asmodeans zip where he had not set envblend to 0.7 i left them as they were, figuring he'd thought it through a bit more. I haven't been to those places yet with the mod, kaer morden eg.

Yeah personally for the liking of graphics i still try other presets when they catch my eye, i hope the author of these screenshots shares the one he's using.
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...screenshots!?p=1781800&viewfull=1#post1781800
I like it how hes got the foliage with same levels of relative color difference but there's more color saturation in everything else.. the horses rear eg. Definitely curious to give it a go.

At least for velen i like mine though, even from the npc banter is a pretty bleak place (ladies wont talk to you because they are too hungry etc).. i feel there's a match between the tone of my preset and that zone at least.

can you post pics with the difference between 0.7 and 0.8? it seems to me that there is a performance hit between those two
Also does your preset have a performance hit?(any kind of AA in there?)
chugging along with a 30fps on high with my 860m

can you post pics with the difference between 0.7 and 0.8? it seems to me that there is a performance hit between those two
Also does your preset have a performance hit?(any kind of AA in there?)
chugging along with a 30fps on high with my 860m

.... No. :p The easiest way to test it is just change the default one and novigrad and testing that before hunting around in all the others. The difference is quite subtle but depending on how crazy you are its different enough. In my eyes i definitely see a difference. Its only in the shadows really though, candles and torches still look okay.

My preset? Yes it does. I've enabled lumasharpen using the pyramid method, and i did notice a further slight fps drop over normal, but in my eyes it was worth it.
Try setting it to normal (make "#define pattern 4" look like "#define pattern 2") though it should not look as good as the strength settings were set for that.
Another option is disabling lumasharpen at the top of the file, use the ingame sharpening to add some fps back.

Also i've enabled fxaa in the preset, for a few more fps back disable that as well.

W3 also greatly benefits by some non gpu related tweaks for resources.. they're described on the preset page https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/3742/ (too long to cp)

check this out! different lighting, and much higher and increased viewing / draw distance! No sweetFX / ReShade used. Vanilla with YALM only!

Screenshots:

Screenshot Gallery

Download: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/198/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom