Consequences of choosing Yen over Triss, and how Geralt becomes a shadow of himself.

+

Consequences of choosing Yen over Triss, and how Geralt becomes a shadow of himself.

• I chose Triss regardless and a scenario like this only reinforces my choice.

Votes: 40 57.1%
  • If Triss had been shown more, in situations like this or others, I would have chosen her.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • I choose Yen, even after all the stuff she does.

Votes: 27 38.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
How is that surprising though? CDPR wanted to get bigger returns for their investment so Witcher 3 is cross platform and friendly to newcomers. This allows them to go bigger in the future with Cyberpunk and whatever other projects they are considering. It makes good business sense no matter how you look at it.

I wasn't disputing CDPR' strategy insofar a the TW3 and the newcomers were concerned, you need the newcomers.

But TW3 itself happened because of TW1 and TW2, for the most part - those games weren't made because of the TW3 newcomers - those games were barely made on stretched budgets so when I see "I didn't play the first two games", I assume that the person didn't really help making the TW3 happen. I see it as a nice little disclaimer

When a newcomer says they love TW3, it doesn't mean much to me. You'd have to be brainless to not love this game.

But its another matter if someone was there from the beginning and recognized the brillaince of CDPRs writing - I love reading feedback by those people.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

I see your points and they could be an explanation to her behavior. The problem lies in the fact that they all require book knowledge and some sort of previous bond with her. For the many people, including myself, they don't exist. The game acts like we already bought the product if you know what I mean. If they added more reactivity in the way we decide their interactions, I believe it could go a long way.

Like the title says, the problem is two sided. Her personality and limited options on Geralt interacts with her. About the first, well, there's not really much to be done on the matter, Yen will be Yen and there's no changing her, for good or ill. And now that I think about it, it's ok to a degree, if they designed her character accurately. We can either like her or not. Except we can't really.

Definitely agree much i'd certainly have preferred greater options for their interaction in Skellige.

Well i understand the necessity of some threads Yen vs Triss because it's one of the biggest choices we have in the game, i understand that Triss have a little less content than Yen and i even voted for more Triss. What i don't understand is why in this thread poll you put "i choose Yen even after all the stuff she does" and you forgot that Triss is no better, and i don't want to write here all the crap stuff that she does in the games (i am not talking about the books because some people did not read them and they will never do), so why not be fair mate and put "i choose Triss even after all the lies and stuff she does". There is another thread where some of the Triss fans ask the dev to let them kill Yennefer, and i am sure soon we will see some threads where they want Yen to be removed from the game because they do not care about the story or anything, they just want a Triss Merigold game and that's it. I will not vote on this poll because it's crap and ofc this is only my humble opinion about it.

Thanks for this post. I agree with you.

Okay... This is exactly where you get everything wrong. Triss does not care about Ciri as much as Yennefer does. Triss cares more about her own ambitions. Triss cares about the plight of the mages more than Ciri. Triss' priorities do NOT focus on Ciri. Yennefer's priorities on the other hand are completely focused on her adopted daughter. She literally does not give a shit about anything else. She just wants to find Ciri and help her out and will do whatever it takes. Destroying the garden may not have been a nice or pretty solution. With that being said it was just a garden. Ciri's a person. If it weren't for Yennefer doing what she did Uma would've never have popped up on Geralt's radar. Ciri would have been trapped on the Isle of Mists forever.

This, again, comes down to people not reading the books and saying that they did. The Djinn literally happened during Yennefer and Geralt's first meeting. That was not what caused them to fall in love. The Last Wish Geralt made simply tied them together by destiny. It somehow made it so that if the Djinn killed Yennefer Geralt would die as well. That's it. If Geralt just wished for love then that wouldn't have done shit. The fact that Geralt saved Yennefer really impressed her. That's why she started to fall in love with Geralt. The thing that kept them apart was their lifestyles. Yennefer was always wanting to do one thing (like find a cure to infertility), while Geralt always wanted to randomly leave without a word for months on end to do some monster contracts. Eventually Geralt found Ciri, and eventually Yennefer met her, and that's what was supposed to tie them down.

Now, I don't see how you think Triss makes Geralt a better person. Was it when she betrayed all the people she "loved" for her own political ambitions? Did that make him better? Was it when she tricked him when he had amnesia? Did that make him a better person? Or was it when she withheld all information about the Lodge from Geralt? See... the only thing Triss could have taught Geralt is how to be deceitful traitor.

Triss doesn't need more time in the game. Her content made sense for the smaller character that she is. Have fun with your fanfiction, though. It's not going to be added to the game, lmfao.

---------- Updated at 06:44 PM ----------

lmao i find this amusing ..
i like yen and i like her play through..
do i like her more than triss NO reason being firstly take what ever books you may or may not have read and burn them in the sense that the majority of players or ppl buying this game most likely have not read them beside the fact 3 aint even in english yet!!
okay that out of the way
triss as been in how many games now umm all 3 how many has yen been in 1 obvious facts..
so theres the first reason triss has more of a following than yen!!
another reason is as soon as we meet yen she does and comes across as cold and later on more of a bitch than triss ..
another reason is lack of much triss content compared to yen why do you think ppl resent this unfamiliar some what cold bitchy character???
once again i like triss far more than yen .. but i was given the forced choice of being with yen and after my yen play though i did have more respect and like yen more!! i blame if any one for this the producers that cannoned yen as my better love interest choice even if there were things that i didn't like about her!!

as for your another yen hate thread. maybe its a little hate yen ish i like too think of it as a difference of scenario thread what if triss was given more of yens role in the story!!
how do you get masses of fans to like a character they hardly know and with her some what over powering determined prickly nature ,, and not expect TRISS to be a favourite !!

The books are the entire backstory. Just because you're too lazy to read them does not mean that they do not matter to the story. Because they are the entire basis for the story.

The Djinn literally happened during Yennefer and Geralt's first meeting. That was not what caused them to fall in love. The Last Wish Geralt made simply tied them together by destiny. It somehow made it so that if the Djinn killed Yennefer Geralt would die as well. That's it. If Geralt just wished for love then that wouldn't have done shit. The fact that Geralt saved Yennefer really impressed her. That's why she started to fall in love with Geralt.

This is very far fetched from how it really happened. Did you not see how Dandelion's wish was fulfilled and how the Djinn works or how Yen was treating Geralt mere seconds before the wish? The wish was most definitely the moment that love began.

Now, I don't see how you think Triss makes Geralt a better person. Was it when she betrayed all the people she "loved" for her own political ambitions? Did that make him better? Was it when she tricked him when he had amnesia? Did that make him a better person? Or was it when she withheld all information about the Lodge from Geralt? See... the only thing Triss could have taught Geralt is how to be deceitful traitor.

Reword that with Yen as Triss, mention the incident where she hexed Geralt to do her dirty work. Manipulated him to kill golden dragon. The Vilgerfortz infiltration....etc etc. Both sorceresses...no no.... ALL sorceresses in the witcher world are deceitful and manipulative.

This is an incredibly biased post. TC had a good write up and while you can argue that Triss would never leave the mages to die (I also agree with that) but if hypothetically the mages were never in question and Triss do this quest with Geralt this is probably an accurate portrayal of how the interactions would go down.

That said, the poll options are quite biased as well. But it was an interesting read nonetheless.

Last edited:
Is that a popularity contest? What does it proove exactly? What are you fighting for?

I'm not fighting for anything I was just correcting the other poster who wants Triss fans to enjoy second place

Look I like Triss a lot more (as a character and with Geralt) and hate how she was shafted in TW3 in favour of bitchy Yen (who I don't like at all, not a fan of how they pandered to book fans with TW3 I really couldn't care less about the Geralt, Yen and Ciri dynamic)
But if one likes Yen more than good for them

I just hate it when people use the books (Yen fanboys) to bash Triss (see the post from @ sarric) and act as if Yen is the only right choice

---------- Updated at 07:42 PM ----------

Well i understand the necessity of some threads Yen vs Triss because it's one of the biggest choices we have in the game, i understand that Triss have a little less content than Yen and i even voted for more Triss. What i don't understand is why in this thread poll you put "i choose Yen even after all the stuff she does" and you forgot that Triss is no better, and i don't want to write here all the crap stuff that she does in the games (i am not talking about the books because some people did not read them and they will never do), so why not be fair mate and put "i choose Triss even after all the lies and stuff she does". There is another thread where some of the Triss fans ask the dev to let them kill Yennefer, and i am sure soon we will see some threads where they want Yen to be removed from the game because they do not care about the story or anything, they just want a Triss Merigold game and that's it. I will not vote on this poll because it's crap and ofc this is only my humble opinion about it.

Some definitely exaggerate (like that dude who wanted an option to kill Yen) but no one is asking for a Triss Merigold game
Yen just got forced on us in TW3 and Triss was forgotten, thats what many are rightfully pissed about and they want more Triss content

I'm all for equal options but CDPR didn't give us that

Last edited:
I never said the popularity of the game didn't influence the book saga, what I said was that most players went into the Witcher series starting with the third game. Few bothered to do any research about what the universe was all about - and it clearly shows with each YouTube video, with each "let's play" streaming, with each review, where the reviewer says "I've never played the first or second games" or "I couldn't get into the first and/or second games" - that is when I stop reading their article by the way...

I don't mean to derail this thread, honest, or detract in any way from the continual ethical objectification as if this debate were some kind of logical linear mapping from Algebra 1 of ethical/unethical deeds -> reason to hate Yennefer--most of which is taken completely out of the context of the overall quest and the objectives of said quest therein. Maybe I do want to derail it a tiny bit, but just a smidgen. Sorry Redemyr, I do know it is really important to continue this unending debate that boils down to a matter of taste, but in all honesty, I actually found that TheMorbidAtheist had a really interesting spin on this entire issue and that offers us a bit of a larger perspective (god forbid) for the targeted community.

CDPR knew they would get the followers, or loyalists if you prefer, that was a given, but I think his observation that you have many many others with little to no connection with the previous games or the mythos itself (for that matter) brings up a very interesting conundrum. The way I see it is that if they knew they would probably be attracting a significant amount of first time players, then would it have really mattered if they had made the game as 'accessible' as they did? Would they have really needed to have taken snapshots of characters cherry picked and simplified out of a much larger, and richer, backstory? Or could they have framed the story more in line with those that actually know the universe? In other words, putting a bit more time into character development and a little less on open world fluff.

He has mentioned that at least one new player (and there is no reason to believe there wouldn't be more) are labeling pretty pivotal characters 'elf', or probably saying 'chick with the red hair or black hair' or 'tiny dwarf dude that is Geralt's buddy'. You could just as easily have thrown in more in-game books to describe these relationships or other backstory elements and left it up to the player whether or not they cared to invest themselves in the lore. We also see this from players who favor a certain someone, "burn the books", they say. "You can't even compare", they say. To a certain degree they are correct, but the interesting thing is, if they were a bit more true to the books (given this particular tale within Geralt's story is taken from the books and is not like Witcher 2) then maybe we wouldn't actually be typing all of this on 5-6 different threads.

Maybe if they showed a bit more of an evolution to certain relationships rather than taking an excerpt or snapshot from different moments in the lore, then this would all be one moot point. After all, Romeo loved Rosaline in Act 1, Scene 1 of Romeo and Juliet. Imagine if they only focused on Act 1, Scene 1 as the basis for a character within a game (which would be a terrible game, I admit) and you would see nothing else outside of that. I think you see where I am going with this (hopefully). You don't see progression, you don't see growth, you don't see adversity, and you don't see an evolution given everything that occurs. Maybe this is just a symptom of the fact that the real concern on the continent at this time, at least for Geralt and company, is Ciri rather than who he's going to romance or be with (which was a side quest), but I am in agreement that this decision (and many others), define Geralt as much as some of the larger, grandiose objectives we are given in his story.

Instead we are left a snapshot of mix-matched interpretations of certain characters and find ourselves on threads like these. I guess what I'm trying to say is: they should have stayed true to their story, maintained some consistency, had a bit of faith that the 'outsiders' or first time players would love the game regardless. They weren't all that invested in the characters themselves (and how could they be?). Instead, by providing a deeper, more nuanced conclusion for our protagonist in his relationships (both with friends and loved ones) by trimming some of open world stuff would have not only ended this debate (or never made it happen), but probably also provide a bit of a richer finale, and who knows...maybe inspire people to pull those books out of the raging flames and maybe...give them a read?

Last edited:
Stay classy Triss fans, enjoy second place.

That's actually not true at all. Triss was the only romance option in game 2 (sex=/=romance) and a main romance option in all 3 games. Yen believe it or not is portrayed as somewhat of an antagonist in the games. She is hated by nearly all NPCs in the game other than Ciri and they constantly tell you "Haha she treats you like a dog" or "Why don't you get with Triss instead?" while also doing many morally questionable decisions. She is definitely more likeable in the books (all though I still prefer Triss but hey, personal taste) but without a doubt but the way CDPR has always (and I express always) shown Yen has been a not so likeable character. While book readers were asking why did Triss manipulate Geralt when he had amnesia, the game was telling you Triss was the right option because Yen acted very toxic towards Geralt. Triss on the other hand has always been portrayed as the goodie girl in the games all but perhaps in 1 tiny moment in the 3rd act of TW1, all though even that was somewhat justified. Her bad side was never really shown, even when she didn't tell Geralt about the council it was never really a big deal because Triss actually plotted against them and wasn't involved in any of their malicious work anyway.

While it can suck for book readers that this is the case, you have to understand that people are going to say how much certain characters like Radovid, Joffrey Lannister, Melisandre or Yennefer annoy them and that's just how it is. You can't then insult the fanbase of Triss saying they must be into young girls or too lazy to read books because of how CDPR portrays her. Please try to understand why they dislike Yen, smile about it and understand that they don't really know the Yen that you guys like and move on. Insulting fanbases is just counter-productive. If you want to attempt to change their minds, then do so in a less insulting manor. Oh and I know some of you Yen fans are really cool so I definitely am not referring to all of you, just the select few who do go around insulting the other fanbase.

Last edited:
This is very far fetched from how it really happened. Did you not see how Dandelion's wish was fulfilled and how the Djinn works or how Yen was treating Geralt mere seconds before the wish? The wish was most definitely the moment that love began.

Reword that with Yen as Triss, mention the incident where she hexed Geralt to do her dirty work. Manipulated him to kill golden dragon. The Vilgerfortz infiltration....etc etc. Both sorceresses...no no.... ALL sorceresses in the witcher world are deceitful and manipulative.

This is an incredibly biased post. TC had a good write up and while you can argue that Triss would never leave the mages to die (I also agree with that) but if hypothetically the mages were never in question and Triss do this quest with Geralt this is probably an accurate portrayal of how the interactions would go down.

That said, the poll options are quite biased as well. But it was an interesting read nonetheless.

Did you even read what I said? Geralt already loved Yennefer when he made the wish. Yennefer fell in love with him afterwards because he made the wish. This isn't a difficult thing to understand.

Geralt was never going to kill the golden dragon, so no he was never manipulated. Yennefer going after Vilgefortz was a bad thing? She was trying to save Ciri without putting Geralt into harms way. Unlike Triss who was too busy selling Ciri out. I honestly don't know what you're talking about regarding any hexing.

---------- Updated at 08:21 PM ----------

I'm not fighting for anything I was just correcting the other poster who wants Triss fans to enjoy second place

Look I like Triss a lot more (as a character and with Geralt) and hate how she was shafted in TW3 in favour of bitchy Yen (who I don't like at all, not a fan of how they pandered to book fans with TW3 I really couldn't care less about the Geralt, Yen and Ciri dynamic)
But if one likes Yen more than good for them

I just hate it when people use the books (Yen fanboys) to bash Triss (see the post from @ sarric) and act as if Yen is the only right choice

---------- Updated at 07:42 PM ----------

Some definitely exaggerate (like that dude who wanted an option to kill Yen) but no one is asking for a Triss Merigold game
Yen just got forced on us in TW3 and Triss was forgotten, thats what many are rightfully pissed about and they want more Triss content

I'm all for equal options but CDPR didn't give us that

I don't need to do any bashing. The Witcher saga already did that for me.

Wow.Poor Yen.Are you seriously comparing her with these guys?

Nope, just Melisandre. I was comparing Radovid to Joffrey. She does give that vibe off quite a lot in CDPR's portrayal of her. If you haven't read the books you don't actually see all these good things she does. That is what the Yen fanbase doesn't understand when the game-only people hate on Yen and im not just talking about TW3, all throughout the trilogy the player is constantly told that Yen is no good for Geralt.

but the book describes exactly what he wishes.
“It's not that simple,” the priest pondered.
“But if…If he expressed the right wish…If he somehow tied his fate to the fate…No, I don't think it would occur to him.
And it's probably better that it doesn't.”
Well turns out it did occur to Geralt.

Nope, just Melisandre. I was comparing Radovid to Joffrey. She does give that vibe off quite a lot in CDPR's portrayal of her. If you haven't read the books you don't actually see all these good things she does. That is what the Yen fanbase doesn't understand when the game-only people hate on Yen and im not just talking about TW3, all throughout the trilogy the player is constantly told that Yen is no good for Geralt.

... What? The two characters literally have no similarities. Melisandre is a religious zealot. Yennefer is pretty much an atheist. Melisandre works for the "greater good". Yennefer works for herself and the people that she loves. Melisandre's personality is... well somewhat non-existent. Yennefer on the other hand makes quite the impression when it comes to personality. They're totally distinct characters that are impossible to compare to one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom