[SPOILERS] The lack of Witcher 2 decisions and content in The Witcher 3.

+
Actually anais is not removed it has impact later. Also I could tell that the witch hunt would be forced by Radovid no matter what. The endings of the EE of WItcher 2 clearly hinted that.

Could you plz respond to how anais makes an impact more in depth with spoilers and clarify your reason about radovid im very interested.

Could you plz respond to how anais makes an impact more in depth with spoilers and clarify your reason about radovid im very interested.

Well as far as Anais all I know is that she has an impact towards the end of the game if your save has her alive in it. As for Radovid I'm almost near the end of the storyline with him and from what I've seen he's just as diabolical as he was in TW1 and TW2. In TW2 at the end of the game it's clear he doesn't like Sorceress's at all. Taking that knowledge it seems likely regardless of TW2 ending he would still impose the witch hunts.

Well as far as Anais all I know is that she has an impact towards the end of the game if your save has her alive in it.

I had Anais alive. She had zero impact.

---------- Updated at 11:12 PM ----------

I don't remember ever seeing the choices of one game to another being emphasized. It wasn't sold (in my experience) like say, Mass Effect. So that's why it doesn't bother me that much. They kinda made it obvious their attitude on the whole concept when we went from 1 to 2.

W3 is CONSIDERABLY worse then W2 on this subject.

The worst part about W1 to W2 wasn't that choices affecting the world didn't have consequences, they absolutely did, but that Geralt was exactly the same regardless of our decisions despite one of the main crucial quests in TW1 being the Identity quest: Who is Geralt and what does he stand for?

That very few people cared about which faction you sided with, baring a few knights of the order and Siegfried which was done OK. That no one from Triss to Dandelion to Zoltan cared one lick that you may have romanced Shani and broken up with her.

But still there was consequence. Adda was constantly mentioned, the Order decision was reflected through the game.

TW3? Only Letho matters, and it's in a half-assed way at best. It doesn't matter what they marketed the game as it is a direct sequel to the TW2 with the events that occurred there having a very significant impact on the world: The Lodge being blamed for the regicides leading to Witch Hunts, the North weakened by Letho being mostly conquered by Nilfgaard.

You can't have that situation and then make EVERYTHING we could have chosen to do on a political level pointless yet that's exactly what they did.

Last edited:
I had Anais alive. She had zero impact.

---------- Updated at 11:12 PM ----------

W3 is CONSIDERABLY worse then W2 on this subject.

The worst part about W1 to W2 wasn't that choices affecting the world didn't have consequences, they absolutely did, but that Geralt was exactly the same regardless of our decisions despite one of the main crucial quests in TW1 being the Identity quest: Who is Geralt and what does he stand for?

That very few people cared about which faction you sided with, baring a few knights of the order and Siegfried which was done OK. That no one from Triss to Dandelion to Zoltan cared one lick that you may have romanced Shani and broken up with her.

But still there was consequence. Adda was constantly mentioned, the Order decision was reflected through the game.

TW3? Only Letho matters, and it's in a half-assed way at best. It doesn't matter what they marketed the game as it is a direct sequel to the TW2 with the events that occurred there having a very significant impact on the world: The Lodge being blamed for the regicides leading to Witch Hunts, the North weakened by Letho being mostly conquered by Nilfgaard.

You can't have that situation and then make EVERYTHING we could have chosen to do on a political level pointless yet that's exactly what they did.

I'm not really selling it that they shouldn't have carried over more decisions, I just wasn't surprised that they didn't.

Maybe I'm too worn out after the Mass Effect debacle to get that worked up. Plus, there wasn't an ending that sucked that badly in this case.

So, in other words, I see your point and by all means let them know you're not happy. I have a headache time to crawl to the kitchen and find some Excedrin.

To be fair OP, the Sile 'consequences' are a joke. You come across her in a cell, and she's dead five minutes later. I was left shaking my head, why did CDPR even bother if the 'effort' was going to be so pathetic?

where is she? I don't think I ever saw anyone of note in the dungeon. I saw one NPC in a cell but there was no name or anything and you couldn't talk to them. After the quest I got the journal entry about her dying in the prison, but I never even saw her.

Did I miss something?

Saving or killing the dragon has no impact whatsoever in Wild Hunt and we never hear of Saskia ever again and she is pretty awesome. Almost regreted following Roche's path. Also, importing a save game form Witcher 2 doesn't allow you to even see Letho! You have to simulate those choices to heve him the game. What's the point then?

Saving or killing the dragon has no impact whatsoever in Wild Hunt and we never hear of Saskia ever again and she is pretty awesome. Almost regreted following Roche's path. Also, importing a save game form Witcher 2 doesn't allow you to even see Letho! You have to simulate those choices to heve him the game. What's the point then?

That probably means you killed him in your TW2 save game. At least I imported my savegame and Letho appeared in Reardon Manor quest..

Maybe I'm too worn out after the Mass Effect debacle to get that worked up.

As far as import decisions is concerned, Mass effect should not longer be referred to a a debacle, as it's been dethroned by TW3.

May people say that TW2 did to TW1 what TW3 did to TW2, but these people are ignoring the context. When CDPR made TW1, they didn't expect it to be that much of a success, let alone expect that they will be doing a sequel. It was their first game and they weren't going to be pretentious enough to plan for the next one. So sure, TW2 may have had mediocre imports (still better than TW3), but it's understandable. But TW3 was clearly in the plans when they were making TW2, so the same excuse no longer applies.

I didn't. TW2 doesn't save your progress after you go speak to him. Right?

I think it does...gives you the end-game cutscenes etc...problem with W3's import is that it allows you to import ANY W2 save (even the ones where you haven't completed the story)..I imagine that you imported a save game from Act 3 in W2 but before the showdown with Letho so W3 must have padded it out?? ...although it should have given you the option to talk to Voorhis about it ...funny one indeed..

I think it does...gives you the end-game cutscenes etc...problem with W3's import is that it allows you to import ANY W2 save (even the ones where you haven't completed the story)..I imagine that you imported a save game from Act 3 in W2 but before the showdown with Letho so W3 must have padded it out?? ...although it should have given you the option to talk to Voorhis about it ...funny one indeed..

Yeah maybe i botched it. And you're absolutely right about being able to tell Voorhis whether you killed him or not. Thanks for your replies. I'll try it out or at least look it up some more.

If you make a sequel to something, you need cohesion, you need to respect your fans. This is the 21st century and the game is for a mature audience, right? They should know from the "3" in the title that is very likely to be a sequel to two other games, minimum. No wonder CDPR sells the game as The Witcher: Wild Hunt...

It is fitting. They ignored our choices. The only "palpable" thing you may get from importing is a lame tattoo. Kill Thaler, romance Shani, help Siegfried, save Adda, let the Wild Hunt have Alvin's soul, save Aryan, side with Iorveth, save Triss. Your story, your experience is ruined. Nothing matters. CDPR should embrace the potential of the medium. You can't have sequels that piss on what happened previously. Or you can, but this is fucking terrible. Now, some people say it is too hard or even impossible to acknowledge all the possibilities. Why? and why does it matter?

It is only "impossible" until someone does it and shows it can be done. CDPR itself did a lot of great things in the whole franchise, setting new standards. CDPR could have done it. They should have. They chose the greatest evil, the easy way.

Also, some people say time was a constraint. It was not. It was just used poorly. Remove some side quests, some contract quests, a couple monsters and put all the VA, writing, modelling, everything where it matters. Are three more contract quests (one of them with an unique monster) with new and irrelevant characters, better than having Iorveth in a single meaningful quest to wrap things up? And these quests got a lot of attention. You can see that, they are good.

This! As I said in another post: This goes for the No-Item-Carryover as well, and even for some Quests in this very game! What about Priscilla for example? She just vanishes... They fleshed out The Barons Quest that much, because the press would play that one, but nothing else (At least not to that extent).

During the quest when you unlock the master swordsmith in Novigrad there is a dwarf guarding a warehouse , friend of Yarpen , at some point he says : " Good work you did in Vergen , Geralt ! " ( or something along those lines) . That's the only reference i found so far of my previous game , lol , even Philippa forgot that i saved her ass from prison and told me how to dispel Saskia , so lame....shame CDPR . At least do the effort and remove that option to ask Philippa about Saskia if we imported a save where we lift the spell from Saskia .

:comeatmebro:

Does anybody know if saving anais response in the witcher 2 sim gives her to natalis or radovid? The response from the ambassador is extremely vague. I believe the answer can be found once meeting roche?

Does anybody know if saving anais response in the witcher 2 sim gives her to natalis or radovid? The response from the ambassador is extremely vague. I believe the answer can be found once meeting roche?

If you saved Anais in TW2, you could choose whether you give her to Natalis or Radovid. However in TW3 this choice is totally irrelevant because Anais isn't mentioned anywhere. Even Roche doesn't talk about her at all. So there simply isn't a canon faith for Anais. She just disappeared.

I don't understand why the Aryan La Valette choice is one that had two different paths in TW3. Aren't there more important ones? It doesn't even influence TW3 that much, it just determines wheter the Baroness joins you for the races or not.

I'm very disappointed in the fact that only so few choices of TW2 (And TW1) had somewhat of a (non-)consequence but for most they took a "We'll make this canon"-approach. This goes so much against every bone in my body. It makes me shiver. One would think that the different choices would be the base for a sequel (Seems... well... logic)
But judging by the lack of people being upset about it in this forum, I guess I'm a minority...

Really makes me sad though that the mass of non-caring-newcomers are the Focus of CDPR now, not their Long-Term-Fans, who came for the Story.

I'm very disappointed in the fact that only so few choices of TW2 (And TW1) had somewhat of a (non-)consequence but for most they took a "We'll make this canon"-approach. This goes so much against every bone in my body. It makes me shiver. One would think that the different choices would be the base for a sequel (Seems... well... logic)
But judging by the lack of people being upset about it in this forum, I guess I'm a minority...

Really makes me sad though that the mass of non-caring-newcomers are the Focus of CDPR now, not their Long-Term-Fans, who came for the Story.

They did the same between TW1 to TW2, so it's really not that surprising 3 continues along that path. It's quite apparent that Witcher 3 was mainly made for newcomers, because of how they mentioned it was accessible to players without playing the previous games. They pretty much ditched the decisions made by people in the previous games, and the ones having some impact is barely noticeable. Some of the dialogue is not even fitting properly for decisions that made it in.

One thing's for sure though, the open world structure also damaged the game.

GingerEffect said:
Since Marcin has updated you a little, I'd like to add a bit to that, since apparently some people seem to believe this particular issue is getting preferential treatment.

Here is the thing. The major thing. I know it's gonna be a shock to some but...we are not perfect. (LEGASP!!!!!)

The biggest issue that we as a team identified with the Triss situation is that the current implementation does not really represent the very core design philosophy we hold dear. Namely, that your choices carry consequences and those consequences WILL present themselves to you.

As it has been stated in the opening thread, the consequences of choosing Triss are not adequately represented. This was something that was brought to our attention by this thread. We went back and looked at it again and realized that yes, this is indeed an inconsistency and one that deserves our attention. So we sat down, took our notes from your suggestions and checked what is viable to do. The result of that is what you will eventually see.

Okay boys and girls, we have been shown a way to elevate this issue to CDPR. It is very clear, reasonable and understanding which type of issue triggered their response.

Witcher 2 consists of TWO major choices that carry consequences and determine the entire game in a completely different way, Roche and Iorveth's path.

In Witcher 3, Roche's followers are rewarded with acknowledgment of their choice, and enjoy the possibility of doing three side quests with Roche (Save Ves, invite them to Kaer Morhen battle, assassination of Radovid).

Iorveth's followers got NOTHING. One line of text with a warehouse bodyguard, and inconsistent and choice breaking comment from Philippa.

THIS GOES BEYOND THE TRISS ISSUE IN EVERY WAY, as she at least got a whole, beautifully done and richly developed quest line.

It makes no sense, as both Iorveth and Saskia are basically CDPR's children, regardless of the books, it is Witcher 2 that gave those characters life, and allowed players to exercise their choice in bonding with them.

I hereby summon the forces to be at CDPR HQ to let us know of their thoughts on adding the Saskia and Iorveth content.

It IS game lore breaking, it IS against your core philosophy and most of all, we have absolutely nothing to show for in terms of consequences for the choices made in Witcher 2.

Roche and Ves have a really small role in Witcher 3, small but meaningful and rewarding for the players who chose them. Don't you think the other half of your player base deserves the same?

And to wrap this up, I'd just like to point out, Iorveth and Saskia are not just a romance characters, their meaning and value to the world is political, strategical, demographic and ideological.
In Witcher 1, you've given us 3 main paths to follow based on those values. In Witcher 2, you've taken the neutral path. And now, you've forced us down the only path.

Please stay true to your core philosophy, and find a way to implement Iorveth and Saskia in a way that will show respect for your player base that looks to more than a romance flick in your games.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
Top Bottom