(1.07) 40-60fps -> 8-12fps

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
(1.07) 40-60fps -> 8-12fps

Edit: My framerate did not drop BY 8-12 fps, it dropped TO 8-12 fps. It is literally unplayable.

After about 15 minutes of playing in 1.07, my framerate dropped to 8-12 fps. Now even after I restart the game or system, it immediately has 8-12 fps. I tried lowering settings (incl. resolution, which can boost it to 24 max) and updating drivers to no avail. Thinking maybe it was a savegame or area issue, I started a new game and had the same problem. I'm running GTX 970 / i7 950 / 12 GB RAM / installed on SSD. Please help, the patch has made it completely unplayable.

Last edited:
No problems here. Make sure you remove all mods and try resetting all of your settings to the default and see if it helps.

Man, we are seeing alot of 970 users specifically with these kinds of problems... didn't they put out firmware for that vram issue like in Jan??

same problem here, from 55 - 60 fps on high/ultra to 15 - 35 on med/high and 45 on lowest settings

i7 4790K
Gigabyte 780Ti+ latest driver + no game mods
msi z97 gaming 5
win8.1
crucial mx100 256gb

Wow guys... that is some awful performance from your systems!

Im assuming all other games are running fine?

Im on a 970 too and have a slight decrease in FPS but nothing like you guys. I feel for you!

You probably have vsync on.

This is due to CDPR's decision to force double buffering in 1.0.7 in full screen mode (it was always the cause in borderless fullscreen mode). This caused Xbox One to go from 30fps to 20fps in CPU bottlenecked areas like Novigrad, and also the PC version now is locked at 40fps when framerate drops below 60fps refresh rate.

This basically means SLI and 4K is completely unplayable now. On Titan X SLI with the right settings I had 60fps from launch to 1.0.6, and in the cities it would fluctuate from 50-60, using the Nvidia control panel vsync (since in-game vsync was always broken). However due to the decision to change force double buffering in full screen mode, now if you go below 60fps the game is automatically locked at 40fps unless your framerate is 60 or higher, then it goes back up to 60. This essentially makes SLI useless since a single card can get 40fps, what's the point of SLI?

It also makes higher resolutions unplayable with any hardware since the game no longer scales with additional GPUs with any sort of vsync to prevent screen tearing. It's unfortunate but I guess I'll just zoom through the main quest and then quit this game. It's basically unplayable in this state, and I get the feeling it's a "technical decision" made by the programming staff.

Last edited:
Nope, sorry homeboy, Vsync is not on and framerate is unlimited. Why would that take me from 50 fps to 8 fps anyway?

---------- Updated at 01:47 AM ----------

Maybe from my topic title it's not clear that my framerate did not drop BY 8-12 fps, it dropped TO 8-12 fps... Literally unplayable. I'll change it

---------- Updated at 01:58 AM ----------

Deleting all config files to reset to default does nothing either, btw.

so much wtf:

You probably have vsync on.

unless you want screen tearing, i suggest you keep it on (for most people anyways, unless you can maintain constant 60fps+), you guys are in the 1-3%... ie: nobody cares about your problems ;p

This is due to CDPR's decision to force double buffering in 1.0.7 in full screen mode (it was always the cause in borderless fullscreen mode)

A. no double-buffer means the system has to wait to render each scene before displaying it... you don't want that... horrible flicker and performance...

B. you do mean borderless windowed mode.

This caused Xbox One to go from 30fps to 20fps in CPU bottlenecked areas like Novigrad, and also the PC version now is locked at 40fps when framerate drops below 60fps refresh rate.

A. uh no, double-buffering implementations are not done via cpu these days... not since... 2003...

B. consoles just suck. ps4 has a 7870 ghz in it, pretty much... which is what i have in this pc... and if i dip to 25fps in some scenes (high settings), it means consoles will dip to 20 (not sure if they have a settings option, most console games don't)... which might explain it... they need to be running on low/medium to get 30 fps constant.

C. it doesn't lock fps at 40, that seems to be an SLI issue. currently, SLI is supposedly 'supported' but many users report no fps gain, or even loss. something with kepler gpus? no idea, i'd never buy nvidia...

This basically means SLI

is broken (fixed it for you).

game no longer scales with additional GPUs with any sort of vsync to prevent screen tearing

this just makes no sense, according to your previous statements:

single buffer: both fps above and below refresh will cause stuttering effect, since display has to wait for current buffer to be drawn. this is 1990s stuff...

double-buffer, fps above refresh no need for vsync. fps below refresh, tearing without vsync.

triple-buffering, introduces extra input+video lag, and is inferior to current double-buffered (page flipping) techniques (although, it may smooth out hiccups of 1 extra frame, at the mentioned cost). technically it's the same as the page flipped method (modern implementations anyways), shouldn't add lag, but it does for some reason... ask game devs why that is, no idea. maybe it's just not supported that well by gpus/drivers, and in that case triple-buffer implementation probably use the copy method.

----

no, this is most likely due to your SLI setup... may want to search for some threads in that regard. some people have it working, others don't.

as for OP's 970... well, those have issues too... even in other games (i've browsed forums)... blame nvidia...

Deleting all config files to reset to default does nothing either, btw.

if you're using steam cloud, it will put them back. you have to turn cloud sync off, delete them, load game to create defaults, exit, then re-enable cloud sync.

save games are more of a problem, you have to clear steam's offline cache .vdf file, etc... or it will keep putting them back... honestly, steam cloud sync is annoying :\

Last edited:
PrincessMassacre do you work for CDPR?

1.0.6 works great->1.0.7 stutter your answer is "blame Nvidia." That's an interesting perspective. So next time a new car comes out and has bad gas mileage we should blame all the gas stations for not selling the right octane for that specific car engine to work well. I think I learned something today...

1.0.6 works great->1.0.7 stutter your answer is "blame Nvidia." That's an interesting perspective.

like i said, most likely SLI issue. maybe they broke it again. maybe you need to reset your graphics config. who knows. talk to some other owners of the same graphics card, and see what they say, otherwise, you're just wasting time.

the issue you described is exactly as others have described way before 1.06, like 1.02 even... which is that SLI only performs as well as a single card.

nvidia issues? all i will say is every console uses ATI/AMD (ps4, xbone, wii u), hence every game is made for ATI/AMD first... if you would rather purchase a product that isn't being developed for, except as an afterthought... well... your decision. anything more and people will accuse me of trolling.

to be fair, it shouldn't be this way... but shit happens.

Last edited:
I'm running a SLI setup (GTX980) but everything seems fine here. 1.07 actually improved performance for me. Not using Vsync as I have a Gsync monitor, thus can't comment on the double buffering thing.

First of, you could be less rude in your answers "Shatterbrain", since all here are gamers and customers too, trying to help you/others to get their game running. I, for myself, patched from 1.03 right to 1.06 and then to 1.07 without any problems described here but, I made sure to remove all and any modifications I did in the ini files or with dlls. I also made sure to set all my graphical settings back to my specs and also the post processing options as needed. I checked my framerate before and after patching and at the same locations I lose max ~1-10 frames (and that is not even proven, given the fact, that my system always runs many different tasks in the back). I can only advise you to check your settings again and, if all else fails, contact support. There you can let loose of your attitude and they get paid to answer regardless. (Not that you should)

I can only advise you to check your settings again and, if all else fails, contact support.
One moment, what do you mean? It is "Tech support" forum. I thought that developers check it and will fix bugs if pepple report about it.

One moment, what do you mean? It is "Tech support" forum. I thought that developers check it and will fix bugs if pepple report about it.

Yeah, but I guess only occasionally and this is more of a "help yourself" forum. Sure they get aware of problems and errors here as well, but there are so many double posts and redundant information, also many "i feel like something is different" posts that they cannot possibly react to all of them. Open the support tab, submit a ticket and make yourself known to the support team directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom