A few questions from someone just starting out.

+
A few questions from someone just starting out.

Alright, so to preface, I'll say this: I've got a decent amount of experience at Tabletop games, at least 4-5 years worth. I've played mostly D&D or pathfinder, but I've also ran some Unknown armies, Mutants&Masterminds and Mekton games. I prefer playing, but I've been delegated to forever DM, that is, aside from my great significant other who is the only other person who's ever willing to run something. I also have a fondness for the Cyberpunk Genre, the first time I watched Blade Runner, or Ghost in the shell, those were moments that really blew me away. I knew about 2020 from playing a short lived series of Mekton games, and it seemed like a great game, and I've wanted to run it for awhile. Recently made it a holiday gift to myself and bought the first two chrome-books, the main rules, and Night City, and my players actually sprung for some of the PDFs of the rest. Here's a short order of things I'd like help with or clarification on. Thanks in advance! i'll try and keep this post a little simple.

1) How much minutiae should I worry about? I've been told I do great action/combat scenes, and that my sessions are always very flashy and memorable, but I'm hit or miss at best when it comes to more substance. I guess I excel at lots of dynamic, fast, and exciting scenes. I'm worried about the more precise things, like how to properly manage/utilize/represent X corporation, or what corp X would do accurately in situation Y. Another thing pertaining to the game that's giving me a head-spin is, how should I manage things like SINs(state identification)? The competency and procedures of a 2020 police force if one of my players is a criminal? How much of the city should I have detailed at once?, and so on. It's all the science, tech, and larger scale stuff that's getting to me. I sort of suck at bigger picture stuff, and I'd have trouble managing more than 4 groups of antagonists at once. I'll gladly take all the advice I can get.

2.) A small rules question, looking through the chrome book, one of my players wants to get their hands on the Luigi Franchi "King buck" it's the four barrel shot gun, stats are something like SHG -1 N, P, 6D6/5D6/4D6, it holds four shells at once and it's RoF is listed as 2/4, it says you can fire it one at a time, or all four barrels at once. In my mind that means something like 24D6 at close range? Could someone tell me how they'd rule it?

3) How much supplemental information, like things from home of the brave, corpbooks, or the classbooks should I try and use all at once?

4)EX weapons, is there a good guide or format somewhere listing what skills they use? I know anything with a bow is archery, but laser or taser weapons that say EX, what would they use?

If I've made any error in my post, I apologize, it's a little late, I've been a bit ill, and I've heavily medicated.

1) Up to you. A lot of that minutiae is situation-dependent, such as the effectiveness of the Police. NCPD is corrupt, Harbour Cops aren't. Max-Tac is too busy ( and nutty) to be concerned with things like forensics, mostly. Most of your players either are or soon will be criminals - if you get a chance to check out Protect and Serve, enjoy the long list of laws your PCs will break.

Corporations...mostly from the Street perspective, they seem like different flavours of Monolith. Impossible to understand, possessing immense power, not to be trusted. Arasaka is famously ruthless, but then again, even players like Zetatech will have you popped if they think it's a good idea. Pick some corporate culture flavours for your Corporate activity, such as more "openly" communicative, pretends to be a benevolent overlord, is highly dismissive of non-Corporates, likes to hire famously ruthless PR people, etc. Then assign those values to different Corps, and have their reps act like that, the news stuff reflect that, ("Petrochem has just donated 2.5 million eb to new air filtration plant in Duluth!" etc), any players that work for that Corp start to sound like that, etc.

2) Nah, it's four separate rounds. Or a lot more than that, if buckshot...anyway, Toughness modifiers and any armour would apply to each shot. If they aren't wearing any armour, though, it's nearly a moot point, but still. Also, that kind of recoil, the shooter better be cybered or ready for a naaaaasty bruise.

3) Really up to you. My advice - Cyberpunk is a big old candy store. Don't open up the back rooms until you are comfortable with the front.

4) Exotic weapons. Depends on size. Rifle-sized, Rifle. Pistol-sized tasers, Pistol. Etc.

1 ) That really depends a lot on your players. Do they want and care about that minutiae? If not then there is no reason to provide it, and good reasons not to. If on the other hand they enjoy the atmosphere, depth, detail, and reality such minutiae creates give it to them ... hell bury them in it. Because nothing "gives away" what's important as quickly as a detailed description of one thing when everything else is glossed over. As to coming up with it in the first place ... cheat. Look at the real world, steal ideas and inspiration from it. Cyberpunk isn't a fantasy setting the vast majority of things will be very similar to what you deal with every day. Look at pictures of modern Detroit and add a false veneer of glitz and neon, make the street gangs better armed, the cops more corrupt ... wallah! Cyberpunk!

2 ) As Sard said not only are they four separate rounds but each pellet/slug impacts and penetrates individually. Shotguns are great weapons vs unarmored targets at close range, nearly useless vs armored targets or those at range (50m+). And the kind of recoil you'd get of firing 4x12ga rounds at once would put 99% of people flat on their ass and significantly damage if not break their shoulder.

3 ) As Sard said, use what you, the GM, are comfortable with. Just because it's in some book or other is totally irrelevant. You're the GM you set the tone and pace of your world. Personally I think full conversion borgs and APCA are "amusing" and they're very, very, very rare in my campaign. Sard on the other hand has them on every other street corner in his. Who's "right"? Both of us ... his game his setting, my game, my setting.

4 ) What Sard said.

Last edited:
2) don't forget the recoil rules, lighting all 4 at once would be punishing to say the least. here's a little montage of people being slapped around by just 2 barrels of 10 gauge destruction!
also don't sweat it too much, by the book shotguns kinda suck in CP2020 unless you use special loads. IU on the other hand makes slugs viable armor smashers :)

Thanks for all the help so far, good advice! I just think I'm trying too hard, and giving myself info overload. As far as the shotgun goes, I was forgetting recoil rules, I'm more used to huge refrigerator sized space marines, or players being veritable walking tanks that fight other bigger walking tanks, but the character in question did spend most of her cash on being very few points shy of cyberpsychotic. On another topic, should I attempt the base rules for netrunning, use net.run, or the rules in Interlock Unlimited? I know the standard from what I've read is to just give them an npc "Pet" hacker, but I think a player was genuinely interested and wanted to try being a netrunner. A small question about money, is it still physical, or is it majority credit chip? How do you handle those, are shady jobs paid for in physical good, or faked credit chips?

I think I'll start them simple, maybe run an adventure path, or give them a shared job via a common contact, and see how they handle it. Looks like I've got a nomad with a rifle, being sent in to do odd-jobs for the benefit of his pack. A street-doc who I'm deducting career money from because he refuses to install illegal cyberware on a moral basis, but isn't above shooting people with a super-soaker filled with acid, or launching deadly neurotoxin at people via needlegun. The spoiled shut-in daughter of a biotechnica middle manager, who fancies herself a netrunner and almost has the skill to back it up. A deranged gang lieutenant who is the aforementioned almost cyberpsycho, carrying a huge shotgun, and at least two or three hidden cyberweapons. Lastly we round off with a small time private security guard working for a small firm, who's in desperate need for the money to cover rent this month.

After a session or two, if anyone cares to hear how it went I can share some stories.

While being a GM is a lot of work don't ever forget to have fun.
Dumping shit they don't expect on characters and watching them scramble is a blast. As is making a big deal out of something totally unrelated to whatever they're currently focused on and seeing them try to figure out how it fits into the puzzle. You'll find messing with their expectations and preconceptions is far more entertaining then sending another group of borgs at them.

My favorite moment is when my PCs were sent to go and extract a scientist. They had everything ready, faked uniforms, a helicopter, and a place to take him. They wait for him to walk out, and instead he sends his daughter. Out walks scientist and his teenager, he hugs her goodbye and starts to go. They are so flabbergasted, they don't even know what to say. They try and argue with him, but can't find the words. They just confuse him, and themselves. He starts to walk off and they panic. They tranquilize him and steal the girl.

My favorite moment is when my PCs were sent to go and extract a scientist. They had everything ready, faked uniforms, a helicopter, and a place to take him. They wait for him to walk out, and instead he sends his daughter. Out walks scientist and his teenager, he hugs her goodbye and starts to go. They are so flabbergasted, they don't even know what to say. They try and argue with him, but can't find the words. They just confuse him, and themselves. He starts to walk off and they panic. They tranquilize him and steal the girl.

I hope that situations like that can come up with my group. They have this really bad issue with PC sociopathy. For example in one of the fantasy campaigns we were playing, me and another PC were sort of against two other players, due to their previous actions almost leveling a city block. We got to a port city, and all of the NPCs were rushing to get back to the mainland, due to the festival on the island being over. There were only two available boats left that hadn't left (if we wanted to get off the island now without waiting for normal ship schedules to resume), one belonging to a thief/smuggler who was hiding out in town (His boat was being searched and kept by the guards as evidence against him), and one belonging to the captain of the guard. We would have to help one or the other out to leave the island, my group was more law oriented, and they were... Well, anarchists is putting it lightly. They were rushing to get to the mainland and they promised to help the smuggler out, immediately botched helping him, attempted to skip or skim over some important details, attempted to steal the boat of the guy they were meant to be helping, and effectively crippled the game while the DM scrambled to try and find a way to fix the already fractured PC relations. I ended up being more help to the smuggler, and trying my best to keep both sides placated, while they were getting fired at by various guards. When my character and the smuggler went to check out the commotion they even tried to sell him out. When asked about it later one of them said "I thought we were meant to rush off of tutorial island as fast as possible." In just one session they got someone they were supposed to be allied with arrested, crippled one of the NPCs travelling with my character, killed at least five guards, attempted to electrocute anyone who happened to fall into the water etc. All while under the guise of being chaotic neutral.

These weren't new players either, they'd been gaming as long as I've been, because the same mutual friend is the one who first got us into tabletop gaming. They're my friends, but they're unpredictable. Fun sometimes, but they are by and large, like a swift kick to the groin of any DM not prepared for them. And we have a newer player, who barely attempts to get into character, and he's doing something else the entire session.

I'd say I hate to say this ... but I don't.
Sounds like these players are what I (and a few others) refer to as Munchkins.
http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/game/
You have my sympathy.

While a game like this can be a lot of fun for a few sessions if everyone involved is in on the joke/action it has no sustainability. And you can't mix this style of gaming with any other. So if you have a player, or players, that want to play this way you have only two options. Everyone and everything caters to this style of play, or, quit playing.
Being the overbearing a-hole I am I'd just point them to the door.

Last edited:
I'd say I hate to say this ... but I don't.
Sounds like these players are what I (and a few others) refer to as Munchkins.
http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/game/
You have my sympathy.

While a game like this can be a lot of fun for a few sessions if everyone involved is in on the joke/action it has no sustainability. And you can't mix this style of gaming with any other. So if you have a player, or players, that want to play this way you have only two options. Everyone and everything caters to this style of play, or, quit playing.
Being the overbearing a-hole I am I'd just point them to the door.

I'd say they're pseudo munchkins, not full fledged ones. One even calls me out when I'm a player because I tend to learn a system more thoroughly and my characters are either well equipped, or at the very least a bit more tactical in combat, but I try my damnedest to have everything exist for a reason or purpose. He tends to make very good concepts are far as characters go, but he tends to make characters weaker mechanically for fear of being called a munchkin outright, and he's good, but also sort of bad when it comes to the 'Role' part of role-playing. One guy is alright, but he as a person is a bit sketchy and it just BLEEDS into his characters really bad, like he once had his chaotic good wizard blind and deafen a guy just for casting magic back at him, or a supposedly neutral aligned character's entire strategy was to cause permanent damage to his enemies by way of cutting the Achilles tendon. They are my friends, and as much as I'd like to find better players, that's not the most likely option where I live. I also don't think I'm a stellar DM, so I'm sort of worried about not stacking up with a new group.

Bonus points to anyone who can guess who the Ripper-Doc who won't install illegal cyberware because morals, but is totally down with blasting people with acid and deadly diseases is.

Last edited:
You have to make an example of one of them. If they try and fuck with the law, have one of them arrested and shown the Nightmare Hellscape that is 2020's prison system.

If they get an ally arrested, have him escape amd hunt them. Have him kidnap a PC and plant a bomb in his head.

The standard DnD powertrip fantasy world does not exist in 2020. If you don't play by the NPCs rules and respect the world you are living in, you won't last long.

Last edited:
The standard DnD powertrip fantasy world does not exist in 2020. If you don't play by the NPCs rules and respect the world you are living in, you won't last long.

Yep. The authorities have radios, crime labs, and if needed can call in the army.

As is said in the Cyberpunk 2020 rule book; you're all big boys and girl now, if your players start acting up just waste 'em.

I've killed more than a few players who thought they were untouchable as a GM. Screw radios and shit...the NCPD has C-SWAT. They have weapons and equipment made to kill your tank ass, and they use those pieces of equipment with glee. As far as fellow players go I have killed one or two in my day, but it's usually because they tried to kill me. It's much more fun to play with a group who play as a team. When they start splintering into factions and making things hard for other players, then the game gets bogged down with bullshit intrigue. It might be fun for them, but not everyone else.

Once killed a fellow player because the team was involved in infiltrating an organization and the player started doing things that were either suspicious or just didn't make sense. After discussing it with the rest of the team we decided he was a liability and I was the one that got to deliver "the message" ... with the point of a dagger.

Here's my 2 cents on ncpd. i decided to run a game at a local game store. The owner said there was interest so came prepared to have a group of 4-6 players. instead i got 9, including the shop owner. He bowed out to not over burden me. All but 2 had never played cp2020, so we got to rolling up characters, it went quick cuz the scenario i was running started them all off in jumpsuits, waking up in an alley with amnesia. A booster gang came a long to get them into the action early. when they battled it out with only 2 players seriously wound. well the on lookers decided to call the cops as the incident was taking place near the university. the cops arrived and told the party to get on the ground. I ask each player in turn what are the doing, veteran cp player "i drop to the ground." Second veteran cp player "i drop on the ground." Newbie DnD/werewolf player "i tell them to go to hell". Wrong answer, but i didnt want to start the cops action before hearing the rest of the players. next one "i grab a weapon from the booster's body." well this is going to be interesting. 2cp vets are shaking their heads as my grin increases. next player "i extend my wolver thingies and run at them." one of the vets laughs. Next player looks at the vets and looks at my grinning face "i drop to the ground?" next player "wimp, i bum rush the cops as well. The boosters were easy and there's only two of them." last player "yeah, we can take em."
The cops' ronin ARs cut Player7 & 8. Wolver boy punches the cop, but didn't get through the metal gear. Initial defiant player thought it prudent to join the est kissing pavement. The body looter found a plastic 9 and as about engage. Cops' turn again. Plastic 9 dies very badly with a few head shots and a dozen ether bullets. Wolvers gets hit in the face with taser and falls. players on the ground start pleading for their lives as they see the cop uses wolver boy's own weapon of choice to end him. The other cop cuffed them and questioned. After some fast talk rolls the cops decided since they were zeros and had a little more respect for the badge, meaning they followed orders, they were let go. The player's who died didn't return the next week. I heard through the shop owner they thought dying so quickly wasn't fun game. Go figure...

Aside from having the NCPD actually show up to a call, you handled that like a pro. The players who decided to willingly ignore every clue you gave them got what was coming.

Top Bottom